Apostille and document preparation for US GV investors

@wkb the bank used your SSN from the tax return as proof. So in effect you provided it.

I wonder how you get an SSN card apostilled. Is that what is bein required.?

You take your SSN to a notary and get it notarized as ā€œtrue copyā€ then send the notarized copy to your state authority to issue an apostille. It is not required for everyone apparently. I didnā€™t have to use my SSN for the application.

Notaries do not / cannot certify a document is correct/legit. They only attest to the identity of the signatoryā€™s signature on a document. I am one.

Christopher,
You are more or less wrong. You may be a notary but you donā€™t totally understand the rules in every state.
Winnie is right about a notary being able to certify a document as ā€œtrueā€

Here is more info on this type of notarial act.
https://asnnotary.org/?form=certifiedattestedphotocopies

Anyone who needs to do this should definitely check with the notary in their state.

1 Like

Unless their notary does not know, then check with someone else. I have had a document certified at least 10 times in the past.

1 Like

California, where I am a notary, you cannot. https://notary.cdn.sos.ca.gov/forms/notary-ack.pdf

So, in California, people would write a statement declaring that the reproduction is a true copy of an original document, and then signing that statement in front of a notary. The notary can then notarize the declarantā€™s signature?

Iā€™m not arguing. Just curious because I know a couple in San Diego who notarized their passports and obtained apostilles with SoS.

Yes, this has already been addressed several timesā€¦

The FBI criminal background check document is a federal document. As such it can only receive an apostille from the US State Dept. Which its website, unfortunately states, will take between 2-3 months due to reducing its operations in the wake of Covid. Other documents such as, Marriage Certificate and such are processed with an apostille from your stateā€™s Secretary of State after having been notarized.

@Calpoidog I think people would appreciate an advice or a solution when you point out any misinformation especially when you claim to be an expert in the field. A lot of us who are here are trying to help each other to navigate an already confusing and frustrating process. Having a correct information in one place really helps. Thatā€™s why I asked if my statements were correct because a lot of new members may not have time to read 200+ posts.

@geoworldman there were discussions about federal and state authentication process before because someone said that 3 PT attorneys said SEF accepted apostilles issued at a state level.
It started with this post:

Iā€™ve also read of people getting pre-approved without apostille so maybe the apostille by the state is viewed as that, a document without apostille. Maybe SEF only requires apostilles at the biometrics appointment? Iā€™ve heard that they require valid documents/apostille for thatā€¦

@geoworldman this can done much faster than that. I got the FBI report in a week and the Apostille in 2 days. I can pass the company name along if people are interested.

Iā€™m guessing that that (a) few in Portugal - including SEF? - know or understand the fine distinctions between the various forms of certification and notarization (versus an apostille), and (b) few actually care, either. Which kinda makes sense. Is your bank or fund even likely following up with the certifying authority? Can they possibly know the rules of all 50 states? They just likely care that someone who is likely official did something.

SEF IMO is going to care about one of two things:

1. your passport. they get to see that in person at your appointment, they get to scan it and see your electronic records. so a fake copy just means some bit of extra bother on their part to run a bunch of paperwork, in exchange for which they blackball you when you show up and arrest you for false paperwork or never let you in the country again or some such.
  2. your arrest record. notice the common thread here that the fingerprints have to be apostilled, other than loheimanā€™s comment, and I bet you better have the real copy when you show up for the appointment. and apostilles, you can run down easily, I bet, unlike a notary. I actually wonder if apostille documents get forwarded to the country in question - anytime you have to apostille a document, they ask what country itā€™s forā€¦ why?

The rest, well, they care some but tax matters ainā€™t their jurisdiction.

In my experience, countries do tend to care less about documents for financial transactions than they do for ā€œpeopleā€ transactions. Iā€™ve been dealing offshore for quite some time financially, and Iā€™ve never had to cough up an apostille. Iā€™ve barely had to cough up a notarized passport even. When it comes to money, thereā€™s other corroborating info. ex. your money comes from some other bank account, and the wire transfer has a name on it. Means you have some verification that some other bankā€™s tried to figure out who you are. Note how they want to see the money come from a reputable bank? And frankly most banks most places donā€™t really care as long as your moneyā€™s green/blue/whatever, as all of the continued money-laundering scandals prove.

1 Like

Yes, please share the name of the company

@YJM here is the one I use for US documents https://www.tgmglobalapostille.com/ I have a different one for UK docs

1 Like

@nadeemk were you able to get your marriage certificate from India apostilled? Iā€™m stuck in a similar situation. Any info on this would be greatly helpful.

Itā€™s submitted for apostille. Waiting for it.

Please clarify, was the 2-day apostille turnaround you mentioned recent / during COVID? That would be quite different from the ā€œseveral weeks/no promisesā€ I am hearing from several DC-based expediters currently. Thanks

Yes, just last month

2 Likes