Apostille and document preparation for US GV investors

What month did you actually send them in? I see you posted your response in November, but it’s not clear if this was a while ago or just recently. I’ve been waiting 8+ weeks (I submitted on 11/3/2020), so I’m surprised to hear the speed with which you got the apostille. Thanks for clarifying.

All applicants will need birth certificates with apostille.

Just an update. I received approval for my Golden Visa pending translations of my marriage certificate, wife’s FBI Criminal Background Check, and children’s birth certificates. The remaining documents did not require translation which I thought would have been more difficult like health insurance and CV.

Just to clarify… are you saying you just had your biometric appointment and they approved your visa conditioned on getting some translations? Did they require you to get current dated documents and FBI reports all over again?

Sorry for the confusion. I had my application approved pending the translations. Once they receive the translations, then I can set up the biometric appointment. My lawyer cannot tell me when that appointment is as they are well behind. She can see single and two people appointments, but we are 4 people so it is looking like fall. She will monitor for cancellations. For that appointment, I will need a recent FBI background check. Good thing I skipped out on the siege on the Capitol :slight_smile:

Fall??!! Ugh. Might try a few different SEF office locations, as availability varies.
They are going to ask for a new FBI check? That is surprising.

1 Like

The health insurance requirement got removed unless you’re actually going to be in country.

When did your lawyer submit your application and documents to the SEF? I am curious how long it took SEF from the time of the submission to the time when you received your approval.

The attorney submitted everything on 11/5/2020 so exactly 3 months.

There are no current appointments. I am hoping to go to Madeira and sit on the beach while waiting for paperwork.

As for health insurance, I worked hard and received a letter from Blue Cross/Blue Shield in the US. They struggled in the beginning until I found some one who dealt with Schengen Visas.

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s exactly what my attorney told me… about 3 months.

I’ve seen a few people state that they were having their birth certificate apostilled. Is that needed for all applicants or just dependants?

I haven’t found any information that suggest it’s needed for primary applicant or spouse. Asking because my spouse was born in a different country so that would add additional work.

Thanks for such a detailed response. That makes perfect sense!

Have any of you received an FBI apostille lately? I’d like to get a sense of the current processing delay.

Someone recently posted it took 3 months exactly.

1 Like

Mine took 13 weeks. I submitted late October and received in late January. Totally ridiculous. It was expired.

I am now submitting my application without apostille and hoping my resubmission goes faster to state department. If I get that apostille; I will then send to my counsel.

so it seems someone should tell SEF that COVID is here and their requirements are not feasible. this is the very definition of bureaucracy (on both sides of the pond).

Was it not better to just submit it expired with an explanation rather than starting over again without an apostilled document?

Ugghhh!!

I’ve heard that there have been successful outcomes based on submitting the application with the bare background check and translation, but without the apostille. After a few weeks SEF will ask for the missing apostille, but the background check itself will have been received within the expiration time window.

It’s frustrating to be helpless.

Here is the website where you can search for PO’s that do the fingerprinting that Larry is talking about
https://www.edo.cjis.gov/#/org/USPS

Amit
I am researching the same thing and it appears that the Indian Embassy will not Apostille documents issued in India.
This link indicates that halfway down the page Welcome to Embassy of India, Washington D C, USA,
However, this link apparently shows the process
https://www.mea.gov.in/apostille.htm

Given the wide variation in the durations with the apostilling being the long pole in the tent. Is there a preferred or optimal sequence to things? The FBI stuff has a 90 day fuse so does it make sense to get all the stuff apostilled first?