Awaiting Biometrics (Stage 3)

You are asking the wrong question. I have heard that some of the donation categories are not stopped but I donā€™t know if its true. Personally my opinion is that with the chaos going on, if someone is foolish enough to make a donation and trust that things will work out fine, that is on them. I donā€™t know how anyone can read through some of these threads and feel safe with any mode of investment. Letā€™s be real. Not only is all types of investments seeing delays, even people who have been approved already are delayed, those already with biometric appointments are delayed, those waiting for pre-approvals are delayed. Those who are trying to renew their resident cards are delayed. Several people have been waiting since 2019 or early 2020 and cannot get even a response. Do you see a common theme here?

4 Likes

I am on Fund investment and have been waiting for years up to now

1 Like

Thank you, and sorry to hear that.

3 Likes

Can I ask which firm?

I donā€™t think itā€™s the wrong question. Unless you believe Portugal is going to, en masse, steal GV applicantsā€™ money, then the question is one about ā€œwhenā€ rather than ā€œif.ā€ The waiting seems awful. I donā€™t envy anyone going through it.

My goal, as someone starting the process, is to get as far into the process as possible that if there are changes to the program due to the pressure from the EU, I am grandfathered in instead of subject to certain, unknown requirements I canā€™t meet.

2 Likes

You canā€™t be ā€œgrandfatheredā€ into anything if the system isnā€™t accepting applications. You can do research on real estate/funds but you canā€™t even apply at the moment. There are myriad articles being posted on this.

2 Likes

Iā€™m responding to the individual who said even if some types of GV applications are being processed or received, as heā€™s heard, why would you trust portugal?

If all are blocked youā€™re right.

1 Like

Thank for sharing.

Thank for sharing. The article is quite useful.

2 Likes

The portuguese government has given residence cards to almost 40k ukrainians within 2-3 months. So the ability is always ready and surely they are capable of solving a problem with 10 times complicated, but as you said there is no political will to solve the problem for one thousand GV investors.

1 Like

Could it be simply that theyā€™re focused on things like priority processing for war refugees rather than quickly processing rich people?

Well no because they are still processing D7 visas which are for retirees who have passive income or anyone who can prove that they can support themselves. (could be considered rich people no?)
I have seen on other forums that people are getting the D7 visas 4-6 weeks from date of application.

1 Like

fact to consider. If there are 4,000 applicants waiting for approval + 8,000 dependents. Portugal charges around 5,300 euros per applicant so thats 63,000,000 that is being left on the table by the government.
Also I am planning to cancel my summer trip to Portugal due to lack of approval/residency and putting off any further investment. I know for one person its not significant, but adding up all the lost revenue and taxes to Portugal for all applicants in a similar situation it is quite substantial no doubt.

5 Likes
4 Likes

They are halted now.
Information on when appointments might resume? Nonexistent.

2 Likes

wow more then 6 month .I pray for you that you get card ASAP :slightly_smiling_face: :pray:

Some of the investors in our pure VC fund (no property) have been approved this year and matters seem to be speeding up. The article clearly refers to zero applications for real estate investment.

I believe some categories are easier for them to process then others. And possibly there have been zero applications processed in investments which are more difficult for them to assess or which are perceived as subverting the purpose of the legislation. But our investors are not seeing these delays.

And our fund is soft closed, so this is not a marketing piece :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for that info Gavin, it is so great to hear what other people are actually seeing in practice. Your reasoning sounds right.

But, for the record, we are one of the investment fund investors, and still waiting for any response at all on our submission, since December.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. There does seem to be about a 6 month delay - in May we were seeing applications from November were being approved. So hopefully you will hear soon!

When you do get approved, could you please post it on our fund forum or let me know? I donā€™t hear about all the approvals for our investors.

2 Likes

Will do. Which is the fund forum please?

1 Like