Awaiting Biometrics (Stage 3)

Previously, there was no need to wait for an invitation, you could go ahead and book biometrics straight after your pre-approval. But, there were no appointments available to bookā€¦

That situation was ā€˜improvedā€™ late last year, so now appointments are always available upon invitation. But, you need to wait for invitationā€¦ :grin:

4 Likes

The latest round of invites on Jun 24th was sent based on [when they applied] with the cut-off at Sep 30th 2021.
But youā€™re right, this may change for the next round.

2 Likes

Are you sure? There must be a period for that since my pre-approval was on March 2020 and I did not received the invitation for Biometric.

1 Like

Reza - Iā€™ve seen reference on this site to a ā€œblack holeā€ for those who applied and/or got pre-approved right before the COVID shutdown. Everything went dark, and then they started randomly assigning appointment openings, and then they started a more systematic approach. I will bet SEF made an incorrect assumption that they had handled everyone who was pre-approved or had applied prior to ā€œXā€, and therefore started the systematic approach with applications received at ā€œXā€ date.

I would definitely contact my lawyer if I were you to try to get some pressure on SEF for people in your situation.

1 Like

Thank you. I contacted him many times, and he said always he can not do anything but praying!!! :man_facepalming:

I really donā€™t know what to do. Any suggestion?

3 Likes

The only possibilities I see would be (a) keep waiting and join him in praying, (b) find a new lawyer and hope that your old lawyer transfers all your files in a timely fashion and that your new lawyer is better, or (c) ask your lawyer to separate your application from all the others this lawyer has and facilitate allowing you to access SEF portal yourself. Then Youā€™ll have access to appointment slots when they open, rather than your lawyer having that access. Thereā€™s no guarantee that this would work, though.

If it were me, I would be staying on top of my lawyer at least twice a month, if not every week, to remind him that I am here and not going away, and to remind the lawyer of the unfairness of my dilemma. And I would always be upbeat and nice to him - even when pushing him. Might help, probably wonā€™t hurt.

2 Likes

To (a) I pray as I can not do anything else
To (b) I tried, but the new lawyer said mine is one of the best and it is better to rely on him and soon it will be solved by SEF!
To (c) I have my own access, check the SEF site every day, but there is no open slot

I do it from time to time, but I try to do it weekly.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m sorry youā€™re in that situation, but it certainly sounds as if youā€™re as well-situated as you can be under the circumstances. Best of luck!

2 Likes

There are a couple of things Iā€™d suggest, although please note I personally did not try these.
First, try to change the lawyer to the one who can help. You can explicitly ask the prospective lawyer that you want them to solve the specific issue, and that you are not going to pay :moneybag: if they canā€™t.
I bet you will have to discard a dozen before you find ā€˜the right oneā€™.
Second, you may chance going solo to one of the SEFā€™s offices (not Lisbon) and telling them youā€™re not leaving until they give you an appointment.

2 Likes

Biometrics done last week (whole family).
Everything went well, photo, fingerprints, signatures.
Now to wait for the residence card (4-6 months, per the lawyer).

1 Like

Can you share your lawyerā€™s info if you were satisfied? and did it take 1 year?

3 Likes

Same for us. Lisboa last week for biometrics and hopefully cards issued before end of year.

2 Likes

Thought I would share my time line. It took a while but I finally made it through the process.

Mid-Oct. 20. - Investment made and SEF initial application
submitted.

Feb. 3- 21 - Pre-approval of application
Late Dec. 21 - Biometric appointment scheduled
March 3, 22. - Biometric appt. in Porto
July 11, 22 - Application approved
Paid fee
Aug 1, 22. - Attorneys have my residency card in their
possession.
I will pick up when I travel back to Lisbon later this year.

8 Likes

We have the exact same timeline as you, Poe. Hoping itā€™s smooth going from this point onwards.

1 Like

Tangentially, the Guardian newspaper in the UK today details the problems faced by UK nationals resident in Portugal who canā€™t get the SEF to issue residency cards.

5 Likes

Damn. Applied May 2021, Pre approval Oct 2021, and so far nothing on a biometric appointment. 11 months since pre-approval and counting.

If nothing by November Iā€™m seriously considering starting the D7 process while Iā€™m back in the US for a visit.

Does anyone know if you can keep your GV application live while applying for a D7? That would allow me to return to my home in Portugal without having to wait 90 days due to being bound by the limitations on a tourist visa if I give up HV pre-approval.

1 Like

I just got notified by Monument Visa that the US State Dept. notified them that the current wait for an apostille is 4-5 weeks, which means in reality it is probably longer. I applied to get the FBI clearance to be apostilled on Jul 1 and am still waiting for it.

7 Likes

Please guys check this post on the SEFā€™s official page:

Does it mean that we can renew our resident permit online without visiting the country?

1 Like

Mine just got done and mailed out by Monument yesterday, and I submitted the request on 6/28, so yours should be done soon.

2 Likes