Awaiting Biometrics (Stage 3)

@GVHope

Sorry to hear about your ordeal - there are so many stories of ā€œsplitā€ family appointments.

I guess we were lucky even though for us, now residents of Lisbon, it really wouldnā€™t have made too much difference: we live about 20 min walk from SEF on Antonio Augusto de Aguiar. If both of you could travel for your appointment, it might be worth to just try to ā€œcrushā€ the scheduled appointment. It seemed to have worked for some in the past. Unfortunately, trying to contact SEF by any means have proven futile to me as well.

As for FBI checks, if you could have a fresh copy in time for your appointment, so much the better. If not, you would be given an extension - thatā€™s not an issue, but then it would be hard to guess when your ā€œcompletedā€ file will be re-processed. Do all within your power to have one on-hand.

Good luckā€¦

3 Likes

It will be a few months for sure! We did biometrics for 6 of us in Lisbon 30 June and 1 July 2022. Still waiting for the cards!

You are probably right, but the on the plus side: SEF has been undergoing some re-organisation and seems to be picking up the pace a bit. Many of those have applied after us have received their pre-approvals and biometric appointments recently. One can always hopeā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@PCERoman
Thanks for sharing! I will need to circle back with my lawyers. They are saying that fresh FBI checks are not required. I am thinking of taking them anyway, but not sure if i can get them apostilled them in time. My appointment is on Mar 14.

1 Like

FYI - You can register yourself in the SEF website and it will show your past or upcoming appointments and your personal details also. Inspite of the lawyer doing all the paper work.

1 Like

The SEF ARI portal reflects the status of the completed biometric appointment as ā€œCompareceuā€ (ā€œAttendedā€).

3 Likes

Thank you.
Question to @ Tommy Gunn and @ PCERoman: if all documents requirment are met. What evidence suggest ā€œconfirmation of acceptance of our candidacyā€? Another update on SEF portal?
I also have ā€œCompareceuā€ after biometrics appointment, but still sending additonal docs to SEF (updated FBI report)

1 Like

Not to be too depressing about it, but mine was April 28 in Lisbon, and Iā€™m still waiting.

Had biometrics at Coimbra early Jan. We were asked to show boarding pass, hotel reservation, car rental etc to confirm when we first entered Portugal. Otherwise it seems fine. We do have to mail our lawyer the updated documents (marriage certificate, birth certificate and background check) after the appointment.

For FBI apostille, we received ours within two weeks, surprisingly fast.

3 Likes

I have been given a ā€œRecibo comprovativo de pedido de: ARIā€ letter. If there were any outstanding documents needed, this document would have reflected them. If all requirements have been met, it is just that - an acknowledgement letter with your name, address, nationality, birthdate, and, most importantly, SEF stamp with officerā€™s signature.

So far my SEF web site has no other change of status, except for ā€œCompareceuā€ in the appointment grid.

5 Likes

I would work on getting a fresh copy of FBI records. From everyone elseā€™s feedback and mine personal requirements, these were needed. Not having them might delay the final application processing.

3 Likes

Online service to renew residence permits - The Portugal News

Its in most of the news websites now :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Live feed of automatic online renewals over at https://community.nomadgate.com/t/biometrics-for-renewals :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you clarify what did they mean by ā€œfirst entered Portugalā€? First ever? Or just during the trip immediately preceding the biometrics appointment?

Just during the trip for biometrics.

1 Like

Thank you @PCERoman for the confirmation.

Thank you for the response! My wife unfortunately hasnā€™t been invited for booking the appointment yet. (Even though we both applied within a couple of days of each other and were both pre-approved on the same day)

FBI check apostille is the thing that concerns me the most since the current processing time theyā€™re quoting is 10-11 weeks which seems ridiculous but confirmed by a local 3rd part we usually work with.

ā€œWe will process your request in 10 to 11 weeks from the date we receive it. We are offering mail-in service but we are not currently offering in-person appointment service.ā€

Iā€™m planning on making it to the appointment regardless, and figure out where to go from where in terms of extension to submit documents.

So appointments are booked until the end of March correct? Do we expect another block of appointments to open up basically immediately for the next chunk of December applicants?

Iā€™m thinking if fbi checks are taking that long, now might be about the right time to start a refreshed one to get it in time for an April or May biometrics appointment

@GVHope,

You should certainly make the interview date! If you donā€™t, you run the risk of SEF putting your case in limbo. There are few people on this forum who simply wait ā€œforeverā€ for another interview when they couldnā€™t make the original date, regardless of the reasons.

If your FBI checks are outdated, please get a fresh copy now and start on the apostille process ASAP. I know it is a ridiculously-long process - mine took 10 weeks as well, but at least you start the clock to submit them once received. Bring an ā€œunapostilledā€ copy with you for the appointment anyway.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Itā€™s a gamble. If you donā€™t mind spending few extra dollars, it might be worth keeping an up-to-date version on hand. Hopefully next block of appointments would be issued around March, but I would not bet on this just on the basis of the past patterns.

2 Likes