Awaiting Biometrics (Stage 3)

Glad it worked for you. Bummer they couldnā€™t get your wife in, as well. Did you use a service for the criminal background checks? Seems beneficial to know of a provider that can send digital copies of an apostille with a quick turn.

1 Like

Fingerprints done at a local place (apparently USPS no longer does them in our areaā€¦ canā€™t speak to other areas, however). Sent off the FBI automatically by the service. Background checks received within a few hours. We then sent them to One Source Process - they were quick about getting back in touch and me making payment.

However, as said, they set the expectations of 6-8 weeks turn-around. I donā€™t think itā€™s so much that they did a quick turn-around, but that the US-DoS was faster than expected on this.

Did you tell SEF (by email) that none of the dates worked for you?

My husband couldnā€™t make his appointment, and he told SEF this, but has not been invited in next two batches. We are filing a case, seems to be the only way. Our lawyer told us that itā€™s absolutely not the case that you get ā€œone shotā€ at the biometrics - her firm belief is that itā€™s simply their poor systems that doesnā€™t have a method of inviting back those people who are still outstanding.

2 Likes

If the system doesnā€™t let you, then you have one shot lol

Your husband shouldā€™ve taken the first opportunity!

1 Like

He couldnā€™t - he had an exam (compulsory for his job) in Singapore, 15 hours prior to the time of his appointment, he would have had to bail on the exam which would probably have meant losing his job. People shouldnā€™t need to risk losing their career / income in order to make it to the appointment. Weā€™ve invested a significant amount in the country and paid punchy fees. Itā€™s totally reasonable to expect to be able to reschedule an appointment.

2 Likes

I agree Portugal is offering a completely unacceptable level of service

But reading all the stories about people missing their appointments is crazy. Hell or high water you need to get an appointment slot that works for you and be there

Good luck with the lawsuit!

1 Like

I did not tell them this, because I personally did not need to reschedule my appointments.

However, on the more general question of emailing to SEF, I did use email to communicate with them as recent as last week on a separate issue, and they replied to me on the next working day with a resolution and apologies.
So they seem pretty responsive as far I can tell :wink:

2 Likes

I (primary investor) just had biometrics a couple weeks ago. Today I received an agendamento notification for my partner.

Dunno if this means thereā€™s movement on the partner front, or whether it was just dumb luck.

Hearing more biometrics appointments have opened up. Check your lawyer/email

1 Like

Iā€™m hearing the same, but havenā€™t been able to talk to my lawyer yet. Any idea what date range the appointments are in?

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen 6th July and 29th August, so at least Jul/Aug.

About an hour ago there was a lot of availability in July/Aug/Sept in Faro.

1 Like

Yes, I was able to secure 3 appointments in Faro in mid July. Unfortunately my wife was not yet eligible, so two trips may be necessary.

Today we received invitation for dependant applicant and no invitation for the main applicant, its weird:(

1 Like

Family of 4 - 2 of us were pre-approved and the other 2 of needed to submit updated paperwork. The 2 who were pre-approved just got a link to make an appt. Our atty is going to try to consolidate so all 4 of us can go at once but weā€™re not optimistic.

2 Likes

Donā€™t be optimistic. My family were all pre-approved on the same date, but my baby who we applied for 3 months after the rest of us, as she wasnā€™t yet born, was not invited to do biometrics at the same time as us. Our lawyers tried and tried to get them to do her biometrics at the same time as us (as obviously she had to travel with us, and Iā€™ll have to go back again with her), but cannot. Still waiting for her to be invited 6 months later. We submitted her application early Jan 2022 so Iā€™m hopeful sheā€™ll be in the next batch.

Similar to Ottodelupe, as the main applicant I had bio appt in April. Husband (Family Reunification applicant) was invited to book yesterday. We selected an appointment in early August.

As of yesterday Faro seemed to have good availability in August and I believe into September as well.

2 Likes

It was good to see the dependent appointments come out yesterday. My wife was beginning to wonder if I was going to leave her and the kids behind :wink:

1 Like

Its great that there are more appointments, but I donā€™t understand why the delay for approval after biometrics? They could unclog the system if they cleared all the backlog.
I guess common sense is not so common!

I assume they do legwork to investigate the investment, applicant, etc after biometrics

Now, how much they actually do and how efficient they are and how many people they have working on it