File lawsuit and skip the queue?

Some updates with much more information from my lawyers re: my lawsuit. Context, I did biometrics with my wife in Faro in in April 23 after an early December 21 application

Timeline so far

• December 13 - submitted petition to the court

• December 14 - case was concluded for the Judge to analyze whether the case was suitable to proceed

• December 15 - judge notified the parties of the decision that the urgent proceedings were appropriate

• December 22 - AIMA filed its response

• January 08 - We were notified of the response and since AIMA did not allege any new facts, the case proceeded.

• February 05 - the procedures for attaching documents were completed and the case was sent to the judge for analysis and decision

• February 14 - still awaiting the judgeā€™s decision

• Excerpts from the AIMA argument submitted to the court follow

The applicant has made a mandatory online pre-registration on the ARI Portal, available at
http://ari.sef.pt, regarding an application for a residence permit for investment activity (ARI), in accordance with the provisions of article 90-A of Law no. 23/2007 of 4 July, as it stood at the time.

4.o

After consulting the ARI Portal, it was found that the application had been submitted on the ARI Portal (no. 05255/ARI/094/21) with payment of the analysis fee, and was in ā€œApplication Acceptedā€ status.

5.o

In fact, under the terms of article 90-A of Law no. 23/2007 of July 4: ā€œA residence permit shall be granted, for the purpose of carrying out an investment activity, to third-country nationals who, cumulatively:
a) They meet the general requirements set out in Article 77, with the exception of paragraph 1(a);
b) Hold valid Schengen visas;
c) Regularize their stay in Portugal within 90 days from the date of first entry into national territory;
d) They meet the requirements set out in Article 3(d)ā€.

6.o

The applicant alleges that he submitted an application on the ARI portal to apply for an Investorā€™s residence permit, under the terms of article 3(d)(iii) of Law no. 23/2007 of July 4, and obtained an appointment for April 13, 2023, at the Faro Citizenā€™s Bureau - AIMA, as well as his wife, as stated in the attached administrative files.

7.o

Applications for a residence permit for investment activity (ARI) must be submitted in person at an AIMA office of your choice, by prior appointment.

8.o

In fact, the ARI procedure begins with a request from the interested party (ARI Applicant), and before the formal processing and instruction of the process, the mandatory ā€œonlineā€ registration to start the procedure and confirmation of registration (prior processing) must be verified.

9.o

Only after the application has been accepted, in the chronological order in which it was initially registered at national level, can an appointment be made, according to the availability of vacancies and for the place/date/time selected by the portal user in order to formalize the application at the AIMA service point and thus collect the biometric data that will be used to (eventually) issue the ARI title.

10.o

Therefore, the ARI process is only opened after the prior processing, and in order for a final positive decision to be made in the procedure that the applicant is requesting, it is essential, under the terms of the law, to carry out the investigative activity, in order to assess whether the legally stipulated requirements have been met, under penalty of violating the principle of inquisitiveness (cf. art. 58 of the CPA) and above all the principle of legality (cf. art. 266(2) of the CRP and art. 3(1) of the CPA).

11.o

It should be noted that only after the documentation has been completed are appointments made according to the availability of vacancies and for the place/date/time selected by the portal user, in order of entry in their initial registration.

12.o

Likewise, after the appointment for the collection of biometric data and the presentation of all the necessary documentation for the granting of the residence permit, the applications are analyzed according to the chronological date of their appointment.

13.o

In this sense, the request formulated by the plaintiff and his wife are under consideration.

14.o

We would like to reiterate the high volume of requests to this AIMA store, as well as the number that need to be analyzed. (Emphasis mine)

15.o

Nor does the claim that the legal deadline for issuing a decision was exceeded (90 days under Article 82(1) of Law 23/2007 of July 4) stand up.

16.o

In this regard, the aforementioned rule states that ā€œThe application for a residence permit must be decided within 90 daysā€, and it is true that in the case of an application for a residence permit, the law is peremptory in the sense that only the exceeding of the deadline provided for in no. 2 of art. 2 of the law can lead to a decision.
82 (relating to the renewal of residence permits), and not paragraph 1 thereof, is what generates tacit approval, and it is clear that the situation in question does not concern any renewal, so that under no circumstances would the provisions of paragraph 3 of the aforementioned rule apply to it.

17.o

Thus, when faced with the granting of a residence permit - Article 82(1) of the aforementioned law - its tatbestand is limited to the legal deadline for the decision, and the law does not draw any consequences from exceeding the deadline referred to therein.

III - CONCLUSIONS

18.o

All of the above demonstrates the obligation of the R. to assume the behavior adopted and the indisputable evidence of the respective legality, as well as the manifest unfoundedness of the A.'s claim, which if made viable would violate the principle of the legality of administrative acts.

19.o

The specific content of the public interest in question is fully and legitimately identified in the procedure followed, which respected all the guarantees of the applicant.

In these terms and to the fullest extent of the law, this reply should be
admitted for all legal purposes.

tl;dr

• AIMA says that all the facts we allege are true and that your process is waiting to be analyzed, according to the chronological order.
  • AIMA argues that the 90-day period laid down in the law does not generate tacit approval and that it is not obliged to comply with it.

FWIW the judge we got was Hugo Ferreira, who accepted our urgency request

6 Likes

Interesting! Itā€™s always been clear that tacit approval does not apply in relation to the first issue of the permit. But AIMA seems to be saying ā€œSure, weā€™re supposed to issue it within 90 days. But we didnā€™t. So what?ā€ Given that various judges in other cases have instructed them to get on with it, this seems a curious argument.

2 Likes

I assume AIMA basically argues this even if they donā€™t believe it because maybe it works some of the time

I guess they have enough of these lawsuits coming in that thereā€™s a template they use to respond, whether or not it works.

I mean what are you gonna do, say ā€œyep thatā€™s all right, we have no excuse, please fine usā€?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the details @garrett, interesting read.

Indeed reads like ā€œyeah weā€™re breaking the law, but it wonā€™t have any consequencesā€¦ so what are you going to do about it?ā€ :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Many thanks @garrett for sharing this!
Artigo 82(1) de Lei 23/2007 says: DecisĆ£o e notificaĆ§Ć£o: 1 - O pedido de concessĆ£o de autorizaĆ§Ć£o de residĆŖncia deve ser decidido no prazo de 90 dias. [my highlight].
It would be instructive to know how the judge interpreted that clause, when the written verdict is available.
And for those who won their cases (eg @watsonhal2016 ā€¦) was it the same judge and interpretation? The ideal is if it was a different judge but same interpretation!

Thats quite a fast timeline, garrett! We re-filed in like October and havenā€™t heard back yet.

Hi Garrett, would you be open to sharing your lawyerā€™s details?

Catarina Garrett at AGPC investments

are you your own laywer??

2 Likes

I could see why you would think/feel that but it shows a misunderstanding of how things actually work in PT and in the GV process. I donā€™t claim to understand it either but it doesnā€™t take much research to see that applications are most certainly NOT being processed in any particular ā€œorderā€. The notion that someone can ā€œcutā€ to the front of the line suggests that the application of the person at the front of the line will be taken care of before the person behind him or her and that this pattern will continue from the person at the front through to the person at the back. In reality, there is no ā€œlineā€ and the people who are processing the applications arenā€™t all working from some master list of when an application was filed. It all seems pretty random so heck, why not give it a shot? We have been waiting for over 3 years from date of application for a residency card. Biometrics happened in January 2023 and we have heard absolutely nothing since then. Many people
Who had biometrics after us have already received their cards and many people who filed applications many months before ours havenā€™t been offered a biometric appointment yet. There is no real orderā€¦.

If this were true we would be seeing 2022 pre approvals mixed in with the 2021s, but we are not.

It has been discussed before that there are likely several lines, one per office or even one per AIMA desk processing applications. Every line has a stack of applications and processes it roughly in order.

Some lines moves a little faster than others but generally are all processing applications from the same time period. It is well known that some offices are slower than others when it comes to final approvals.

So yes if you file a lawsuit you are jumping the queue. Best to own it!

1 Like

Reallyā€¦hardly jumping the queueā€¦more like moving into another lane on a rush hour freeway, hoping that lane will move a little faster to the next junction, repeat until you arriveā€¦

1 Like

An apt comparison although I might suggest ā€œmoving into the fee-based HOV laneā€ is even more appropriate! However, unlike the physical lane being referenced, everyone on the GV freeway can afford to use the ā€œfasterā€ lane.

Iā€™m not saying people should feel guilty about it ā€“ I have filed too ā€“ but call a spade a spade. AIMA has limited capacity; more time spent on lawsuit applications is less time spent on ā€œnormalā€ applications. Simple as!

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I would want a statement on my AIMA portal page that I had sued them when time comes to apply for permanent residency or citizenship. Another thought, the new rules regarding when the ā€œ5 yearsā€ starts does take off little of the ā€œwaiting traumaā€ - although it doesnā€™t help those of us that want to spend time here.

If they hold it against youā€¦sue them again!?

2 Likes

Well exactly! And certainly shows a strong connection to Portugal

2 Likes

Given the new rules, Iā€™d be in no hurry to get a card after biometrics. Unless itā€™s actually getting close to 5 years.

If the citizenship clock starts at initial application, Iā€™d be in no hurry for pre-approval either. But if it only starts at pre-approval or biometrics, wouldnā€™t want to delay those unnecessarily.

I think, given ongoing attempts to dismantle the program, there may be some value in having card in hand ASAP. Otherwise, agreed, no rush!

1 Like

Has anyone successfully sued for pre-approval? Because my understanding was that the courts were (at least mostly) rejecting those suits.

I just got my court ruling two weeks ago. Back in PT for my biometrics. Iā€™m staying now!