How reliable is Mercan's buy back guarantee?

Good point, fair enough, so I guess my question is what happened if itā€™s not honorable by Mercan, what would be the fallback scenario?

You could maybe sue them, depending on the wording, but if thereā€™s no money, youā€™re SOL.

Lots of discussion on this topic if you read through the threads. If you are risk averse, consider IMGA Acoes, portugal stock index. Sure it might drop, but itā€™s probably about as safe an investment as you can make anywhere thatā€™s an actual investment rather than eg bonds etc

For folks who have bought Mercan - has anyone investigated on whatā€™s the exact process to sell our hotel share if Mercan refuses to do the guaranteed buyback (for whatever reason, reasons discussed up thread).

Specially now that the share wouldnā€™t come with golden visa guarantee after a few months, whatā€™s the process to list/market our 280k/350k share on the Portuguese real estate market, how many thousands euros of seller fees/lawyer fees/sales tax/loss should one anticipate here.

E.g. is it realistic to assume that even if Mercan doesnā€™t buy back your 280k share for any of the oceanfront/beach resort hotels, after all the fees etc you can recover 250k euro on the private market by having it listed through a Portuguese real estate lawyer?

I doubt it. Would you want to buy 1% of a hotel building where the other 99% is owned by 99 other people? Unless everyone coordinates to sell itā€™s worthless.

1 Like

Hi all, for those applying with or recently applied with Mercan, did they agree to signing a side letter to give a full refund if the government restrictions affect your application? We just got a response from them saying theyā€™re not doing that anymore.
Iā€™m also curious about the buyback guarantee. Also, did anyone have luck revising the contract language to guarantee the buy back? Thanks in advance!

I recollect someone stating that Mercan confirmed that the side letter is being offered as of May 9th. Is this a more recent information you have? Can you share the date when they stated this?

1 Like

I just got an email back from Mercan saying there are indeed offering the side letter. Our lawyer was talking to someone there who said they werenā€™t, so not sure how that miscommunication happened.

I had also written to IAS about buybacks and they told me Mercan executed a few buybacks recently, so thats definitely good news. If anyone else heard the same or received the buyback, would love to hear more!

1 Like

Great! Thanks for clarifying back.