Is it Lawsuit time? (Processing times)

You might want to get a second opinion to check your assumptions about that—my understanding from 2 different lawyers is that your NHR status is not directly tied to which form of visa you have and that switching forms won’t affect it. That’s actually our plan, at this point—apply for the NHR this year based on our Dec. ‘22 GV applications and then switch to D7 later this year prior to our (massively postponed and also exhaustingly and detrimentally limbo-ish) relocation there early next year. Hopefully I’m not the one missing something!

1 Like

Well
with biometric scheduled, I can stay (unless I am kicked out!). :laughing:

To add, I was advised that you should also spend at least one day in PT during the year in which you apply for NHR. And that’s is the day the NHR actually starts for tax calculation purposes.

1 Like

Hi everyone - can people who are preparing a lawsuit or have filed a lawsuit contribute some names of lawyers and law firms they are working with? Even better if we can get names of lawyers who have got positive results. I’m thinking of giving this a go but do not want to go to someone who has to figure this out from scratch. Thank you and best of luck to everyone.

@tommigun Would it be possible to add “Did you file a lawsuit? Ruling date? Success/fail? Law firm?” attributes to the GV timeline?

Or perhaps lawsuits would be easier/cleaner as a separate tracker. In any case, sadly it would be very useful info to this community (see 200+ posts above).

Hey @PTbound, I appreciate your trust in my abilities :sunglasses:
But I believe it was another Thomas @tkrunning who kindly enabled trackers for this community.

Ah sorry, got the Thomas’ mixed up! :crazy_face:

You could stay even before the biometrics. We have done so, and we never had to worry about 90/180 rule, certainly not in Portugal. Maybe you need to be a bit more careful travelling to Northern European Countries.

Preapproved before 2021 but still waiting for biometric. Sued the SEF in June 2023 for biometric appointment. No response from the judge yet. Recently discovered that my lawyer did not use the urgent option. :joy: :rofl: :joy:

How long do I have to wait to get the court to decide on my “normal” case? What should I do next? File another case, possibly through another lawyer? Thank you!

I got results within a month or two (not finished, but at least a response from AIMA!) so I’d definitely file a new suit if you can. Consider a better lawyer. I thought my lawyers were good, AGPC investments

2 Likes

You will be waiting a couple of years without urgency, according to my lawyer.

1 Like

A couple YEARS?

That’s what the lawyers said. na proxima semana infinitum!

1 Like

Simple test: Ask them how long it takes? If they say less than 1.5 years, then you know they are lying and aren’t trust worthy.

1 Like

An update on my court case filed on 23rd December.
Judgment has been issued in my favour.

AIMA should make a decision on my application in 40 working days.

There is some confusion over what this means, my Biometrics took place while the court considered the case (and without the court’s knowledge) so the relavant decision would ordinarily be a date for Biometrics.

My lawyer believes (hopes) in fact the decision will be on the entire application. AIMA have asked for an updated investment letter since Biometrics which apparently they wouldn’t do if not preparing for a Final decision.
We await to see what happens next.

Applied 7th December 2021
Pre-approved 21st November 2023
Biometrics 20th February 2024
Living in PT

6 Likes

Could you guys recommend me a responsive and hopefully not too expensive lawyer that can help me to quickly submit my 2nd lawsuit against the AIMA? My previous lawsuit is till pending after almost a year, because it was filled as a normal case, and I just discovered this heartbreaking issue by accident. My lawyer has not replied to my emails ever since she knew that I knew she made a mistake. I offered to pay her to file a 2nd lawsuit, but she still ignored my email. I have to start the adventure again. Thank you @garrett for your recommendation of AGPC investment lawyer.

1 Like

NSM Lawyers
https://www.nsmadvogados.pt/en/
I’m very happy with them and seen others recommend them

2 Likes

It is so difficult to find a good and reliable lawyer nowadays. Hope you will not have to find a 3rd lawyer. The culture of “ignoring emails” is one of the worst things I have to experience in Portugal.

3 Likes

NSM has guided me well, filed suit, and as of Feb I have the cards in hand. Their staff has been working this since the program’s inception and they have depth and breadth of resources. Our current go-to is Catarina.

2 Likes

Thank you for helping me out @garrett , @Starts, @watsonhal2016

1 Like