Is it Lawsuit time? (Processing times)

A bit off-track but bureaucracy in Europe is beyond anything in the world.

Situation in Spain: with job contract, it takes one year to renew resident card. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Do you wait 40 days to get your biometrics appointment or does the lawsuit fast track you to final approval?

Here’s the court’s decision in my case which was started before biometrics, and resulted in me getting Final Approval, it didn’t seem to specify exactly what needed to happen but that a decision should be made…

it looks like EU trying to phase out golden visas. it was a measure to help the country recover from the 2009 financial crisis. so if we can get portugal citizenship while it is open i think we are very lucky.

I finally get to share an update for our case. Our lawyer sent an email today saying the court ruled in our favor. She said that the judge ruled that AIMA approve us and issue residency cards within 30 working days. Primary applicant plus spouse.

Application: November 5, 2021
Pre approval: June 2022
Biometrics: January 5, 2023 Portimão
Lawsuit filed: early December 2023

7 Likes

Mind sharing which judge you got, if you know? I feel like my lawsuit, filed around the same time, has been much slower than similar suits even filed after mine. Maybe we got the slow guy

Mine is running slowly too.

Our lawyer never gives us detailed information. I did ask about the judge as the timeline definitely seemed slower. AIMA provided their defense in mid February, which was just our GV file and no actual defense. Took 2 more months for the judge to make a ruling. Also, we have lived in Portugal since June 2021. We only left 2 times for a death in the family.

Interesting, AIMA put up an actual argument for mine, about the same time as yours

I deleted a few posts to keep things a bit more civilized. While I understand the sentiment and agree that there’s no reason to expect what the EU will get in the way of Portuguese citizenship, I think it’s possible to present one’s arguments in a nicer way.

Note: Not all the deleted posts were out of line, but they no longer make sense without the original context.

2 Likes

What argument did they put up?

2 Likes

We heard from our lawyers yesterday that AIMA requested an update of the document that certifies that I own the investment, since the other one was too old. Well, gosh, I wonder how so much time passed between that initial filing and now… :roll_eyes:

In any event, that document is now being generated by the bank (for €125), so we should be back moving along again soon, I hope! I’m actually a bit torn about the timing on this - three of us can be in Portugal at the end of May, and it would be great to knock out the seven days early in the year, but the remaining one of us “can’t” be in Portugal until the end of next May, so later would be better in that case. (“can’t” = will obviously still go and get the 7 days no matter what, but might have to do it over three different trips, instead of 7 days in a row.)

1 Like

Yes, you DO have right to express your opinions, present relevant facts, and share experiences. However, you really SHOULD present in a tactful manner and avoid discouraging others from participating by posting toxic remarks about their thoughts and experiences. This called “civility”, so please afford it to all of us!

4 Likes

AIMA responded today and are scheduling us for our appointments. Lawsuit worked .

10 Likes

We are in the process of filing for two expired renewals as well.

1 Like

Please post your update here… I am following and might repeat the same thing! Thanks

Hi there, I seem to remember someone saying they’d paid 700 euros to file a case. I’m hoping to find out what lawyer that was, for a friend. Or if anyone else can recommend a reasonably priced lawyer. Many thanks!

1 Like

You can email me sep if you want at Martin @ martinburlingame .com (split up to avoid spam)

Attorney is working dates for biometric. So we will go from application to bio in 14-16 months

Roughly what I paid, AGPC investments, I work with Dr. Catarina Garrett generally, but her whole team is great.

2 Likes