Is it Lawsuit time? (Processing times)

Perhaps, I am jsut sharing that I was informed by the attorney to be prepared for this.

1 Like

Should I change my lawyer without knowing what happened to my pending lawsuit against AIMA?

I am still waiting for biometric appointment after 4 years of investment. I hired a lawyer (lawyer A) to fill a case against the SEF back in June 2023. Except for a strange letter that I received from the court early 2024, no progress was made, and lawyer A become very unresponsive. I recently hired another lawyer (lawyer B) to file a new case. Lawyer B has to understand what lawyer A did before lawyer B can file a new case. After analyzing the strange letter from the court, lawyer B concluded that lawyer A made horrible mistakes in filing my first case. Then I asked lawyer A to give me a copy of my files. Lawyer A never responded. Lawyer B suggested me to revoke my power of attorney with lawyer A so that lawyer B can take over and get access to my files.

My questions:

Should I following lawyer B’s suggestion?
Is there a way to get my money back from lawyer A?
How can I make an official complaint against lawyer A?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Though I am not answering your question,I have to say many lawyers or attorneys engaged in the GV are nothing but sales in this business.Hope you well,maybe HKer.

1 Like

Yes

Unless you paid a fraudulently large amount of money to Lawyer A, I would write it off.

Once you appoint a good lawyer, get your residency card etc all this will seem like a distant speed bump in obtaining a great life in Portugal.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Deepest sympathy to you…

I am near to nothing for giving you a good advice and answering your question.
However, I would ask myself a simple question: Am I going to improve anything if I stay with lawyer A ? If the answer is No, then definitely I need a change. Hence lawyer B is something necessary at this moment. To conclude immediately that lawyer B is efficient or not, only time can tell. However, I would prefer giving full power to lawyer B to control my ship over the sea of bureaucracy. Let’s think about lawyers as coaches for a football club. Some can lead the club to trophies, but some fails within few weeks…Wishing you all best of luck in this tough journey!

1 Like

Should I following lawyer B’s suggestion?
Yes.
Is there a way to get my money back from lawyer A?
Check your contract with Lawyer A.
How can I make an official complaint against lawyer A?
The complaint process would depend on the country where your lawyer A is based. If we presume this is Portugal, then I would agree with @Starts - write off your losses unless they were exorbitantly high and critical to recover.

2 Likes

Dont afraid to name the bad lawyers. It is terrible for this community when they are allowed to continue operating.

5 Likes

Here

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions and support! Before reading your replies, I was a bit hesitant of switching lawyer because I was worried about its impacts on my pending lawsuit case. It looks that I need to switch my lawyer ASAP.

I am not yet sure exactly what lawyer A did. Maybe she did nothing wrong. However, there is one thing that lawyer A is clearly wrong. She refused to share with me my own case materials. Her behaviors violated the ethic code of Portuguese lawyers. This could be a big thing in the US. Why is she not afraid of me complaining to the lawyer associations?

2 Likes

my lawyer sent me a copy of the file that he submitted for my lawsuit vs AIMA in pdf form.

+the receipts. also in pdf. when the lawyer submits something to the judge, there is some kind of submission fee from the court

i do not know why your lawyer did not give you a copy. perhaps she only took the money and did not file anything?

1 Like

According to my lawyer B, my lawyer A made a horrible mistake. Instead of suing the SEF for not giving me the biometric appointment, she sued my child. That’s why the court sent my child a strange letter.

10 Likes

What a plot twist !

2 Likes

How does someone like that even pass the bar exam?

Or are they using ChatGPT to write their lawsuits so they can 100x their client base?

PLEASE tell us who this lawyer is so nobody in our forum attempts to hire them :scream:

1 Like

Maybe she is not even a lawyer

What was the basis for urgent consideration of your lawsuit?

Your GV application was submitted last March? And you filed a lawsuit this year?

I live in Portugal, with the benefit of the December 2021 Despacho.

My lawyer says my second lawsuit is delayed because all AIMA related lawsuits are being transferred to Lisbon…

The same with mine. We initially filed the case in Madeira in November 2023 then in Feb 2024 we found out that the case was transferred to Lisbon and there are no updates from there so far. My lawyer says more than 9000 immigration cases are in there. Looks like we are in a huge line in Lisbon court now…

Is there anybody here who filed case in Feb and managed to get decision from court already?

1 Like