Need options: Offshore bank with CAD currency

On the side of caution, I almost blundered. Was thinking of buying stock in Blom Bank, Lebanon
after chatting with their security head. They are a very conservative bank in the middle east, lots of good relations in the wealthy Arab world.

And a very nice online platform.https://www.blombank.com/english/home

But then the economy of Lebanon went downhill fast. And with it, stock prices.

This turned into a more general discussion of “offshore” banks now.

I’ve used Standard bank IOM in the past, they they have quite good service and is regarded as a trustworthy bank. I see now that they support CAD, not sure if you can get cards in CAD. You can at least get debit cards in USD, GBP and EUR, I think no credit cards. That’s why I didn’t recommend this bank earlier. They require minimum £3000 deposit.

Other options I’d go for is Singaporean banks, or any onshore account in countries that would allow you to open an account. Europe, USA (can get a credit card in USA, but not in CAD as far as I know), Canada.

GBP 3,000 minimum deposit is cheap by the standard of offshore banks.

Hi James, have you found a solution to your question? Asking because I’m also looking at how to open an account in CAD without having to go to Canada. For as far as I can see it’s not possible, although I found information stating it is possible with HSBC if you have your accounts at their bank in another country (f.ex. USA). Unfortunately, as you say yourself, HSBC has been under investigation and therefore I’m hesitating…
Please let us know if you found a decent option.

If discussing to open without visting
Lloyds and HSBC (expat) personally awful service and. HSBC likekly only to get worse after todays profit announcement / 35,000 job cuts.

That said if you are talking limited to 50k deposit Barclay’s and Standard Bank are ok…

Citi SIngapore Ipb but 200k USD, OCBC Singapore 180k SGD and if not in SGD no depositor protection in fact I think in T&Cs it says non residents no protection.

I heard recently that Georgia, you can open without visiting thru Notary, and may get a Bank card, now being pushed to impement CRS and starting to close non residents accounts.

There is Euro Pacific Bank, CAD available I have a good experience with them, others not so good I would rate them better than Lloyds & HSBC, plus multi-currency. Have a Pre-paid card but last I remember was only EU Citizens.
Deposit is $500 usd, just a phone call with Bank Rep less than a minute

I have also been advised Standard Bank was ok.

Considering RIsk wouldn’t you be as well to open a few Accounts keep your China Bank Account spread your Banking Relationships

Brokerage Account as well with a Bank Card (debit), multicurrency 100k CHF Depositor Protection, as mentioned Swissquote is Ok I have had an account with them for a few years, reasonable cost for Swiss Bourse ETFs (a few decent ones), but a little pricey for other markets. Also 50 CHF a quarter platform fees, plus crypto currency.
No mimimum Deposit, I used notarycam to validate my passport / rental agreement then still required VDO call. I friend said last year they wanted notorised copy of bank statement with his address would not accept rental agreement

Plus Cambodia (6.5% interest), but not sure if I am permitted to post links as a site newbie