New Application from Jan 2023

Nothing, nothing is confirmed, everything is speculation/conjecture at this point. No one knows anything for sure. We will know more in the coming weeks.

6 Likes

Totally agree, we just need to keep our cool and wait. For now, everything is speculation and will unnecessarily increase anxiety!

There are stakeholders that have submitted, via the public discussion, opinion that cutting off applications after Feb 16th is ā€œunnecessarily burdensome and certainly unconstitutionalā€. Slightly old news from March 10th, but interesting reading:

7 Likes

Thank you @Onward ! Very useful information!

1 Like

If anything has to be the ā€œleast unconstitutionalā€, I think it would be the govt saying ā€œwe are no longer accepting applicationsā€. It doesnā€™t change the rules for existing applicants, it just means they wonā€™t take new ones.

Seems slightly different than changing the rules for existing applicantsā€¦and I canā€™t blame them for wanting to avoid another crushing flood of last minute applications.

Does the constitution require a grace period when closing programs? Or does it merely require serving those to whom the previous rules already apply? Because if you havent yet applied, it seems questionable whether or not anything applies to you?

3 Likes

I do not know much about the Portuguese legal system, but it would seem to me that anything that happens before a new law is passed should be considered retroactive under the constitution. One day the law is X, the next day the law is Y. I do not see how at any point the Y law can go back in time and change things before the law Y came into existence and not be considered retroactive. Just because people had notice that the government, parliament, and the president might change the law does not change that fact that it has not been changed yet.

4 Likes

My lawyer just submitted my GV application for me. I already had all my investment completed prior to Feb 16. I was just awaiting the FBI apostille when that announcement was made. Ok so a stupid question, to pay the analysis fee of 581.76 euros, I am at the payment page on my bank app. And the bank app is asking for ā€œTAXPAYER NUMBER.ā€ This is just my NIF, right?

3 Likes

@anon0066e7240086a118 Itā€™s hard to see the date of investment working as the legal cut-off date, and for this approach not to be subject to legal challenges. For starters, there are several types of investments that obviously qualify, and each have their own steps to constitute ā€œcompletionā€. The law would have to define what completion means for each of these investments.
One could argue that the investment is ā€œdoneā€ once the money left your bank account, in the case of a fund, the paperwork to prove the investment will be issued much faster, than say a title deed, which can take multiple weeks to be issued. There is no indication so far that new law is heading that way in terms of the public discussion taking place around this aspect of the law.

2 Likes

My lawyer took care of this for me, but my recollection is that you need to wait a few days for the SEF system to generate a code (DUC) and then that is the number that you need to provide in your banking app to pay it. Sort of like an invoice number. But you should check with your lawyer.

3 Likes

So considering how this government can make sudden changes without warning, I also have concerns about the NHR program. If they suddenly announce an end to that also, and without our GV residency cards yet, we cannot easily change our NIF addresses to Portugal to hurry and sign up for NHR before it ends, right? But if we already have a house in PT from the GV investment, will Finances allow us to change to that Portugal address? Just tell them we will consider that our domicile?

If youā€™ve applied for a GV you are allowed to legally enter Portugal and so qualify for NHR as soon as you do so with intent to reside hereā€¦
(I have NHR and donā€™t have a permit or pre-approval yet)

2 Likes

Indeed, thatā€™s NIF number.

1 Like

Thank you fo the information. They are not taking my payment yet. I read I have to wait 48 hours

1 Like

Iā€™m using CRS as well. I have been happy thus far. My attorney is very responsive.

@alexmils / @va.trade23 - Iā€™m curious what the costs are for CRS? I know all situations are different.

Given Iā€™m also looking at the EUR 280,000 option which at least one of you is doing Iā€™d feel better going with a lawyer doing lots of the same applications.

@michaelsmith Messaged you directly. CRS have been outstanding in their service levels so far.

4 Likes

I submitted my application early march and SEF accepted the payment 2 days later and now the SEF portal says its ā€œem anĆ”liseā€

5 Likes

Can you (or anyone else in this forum) please let me know, if it is possible for the lawyer to pay the application fees [~ā‚¬581] him/herself [and then get it reimbursed from client at a later time], or the payment has to come directly from the GV applicantā€™s bank account? This information will be really helpful for me. Thank you very much.

yes, i can help you with this.
You can pay money to your lawyerā€™s account, and then your lawyer can pay the fees.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Garbonzo Bean. Much obliged.