Portugal Golden Visa - The New Law of 2023

Does he have the ability to correct inconsistencies or is it a yes/no/constitutional court decision?

For example, could he fix the part about real estate investment renewals switching to a D2 visa with a 7 day/year stay as that’s clearly left over language from the original plan, that was scrapped, to cancel the GV program altogether.

The PR has been known to return the text to Parliament to sort out areas of major inconsistencies.

2 Likes

Does it mean it is going to take more time to make any changes on the current GV rule?
I am wondering if there are any news articles on it.

The D2 stuff survived weeks and multiple rounds of amendments in committee, and also survived the parliamentary tidying-up process. I think we might conclude that PS deliberately kept that in. The press conferences from the PM and others back in February were all about everything moving to entrepreneurial visas, so I suspect PS did not want to drop all mention of this from the law. Of course, I agree it’s daft, but I’d be surprised if the President objected to that point. It remains to be seen how that language will be ignored/fudged/implemented/fixed in Regulations going forward.

3 Likes

Portugal Golden Visa Eyes Record Year as Approvals in 2023 Already Approach 1,000 - IMI - Investment Migration Insider (imidaily.com)

I dont have to read this article to know they probably dont mention WHY its a record year.

Interesting first paragraph tho: approvals are down 44% vs previous month. HELLO SUMMER BREAK!

1 Like

I cannot understand why it takes more than 10 minutes for a SEF official to do the final review and issue the cards. The already looked at everything at preapproval. Then they go over everything again with the attorney at biometrics and get updated follow up documents and verify everything is the way it should be (a process which takes at most 30 minutes in person). Then it should not take more than 10 minutes for them to do final sign off for the card. Everything is the same as it was at biometrics, where everything was said to be okay.

Sure, if documents are missing or not updated then the SEF official will need to wait on that, but I cannot understand the process between biometrics and final approval. It makes no sense to me at all. And I know people will just chalk it up to bureaucracy, but how many times does SEF really need to look at and reanalyze the same file.

9 Likes

Marcelo takes ‘Mais Habitação’ programme on holiday - Portugal Resident

I think that inconsistencies over GV is a small problem in comparison to coercive rent of vacant apartments/houses by the state. If such a measure passed (which I believe is hardly constitutional), who cares about us investors((
It is a much larger reason to veto the law or send it to Constitutional Court, but I am not sure that president will be able to do this politically
And the president has only 8 days for send it to the Court, so I don’t know.

The whole situation looks very stupid to me: approve 1000 new GV and not renew the old after collecting all that money? Could not be more stupid and wrong. Those with new GV were able to speed up and submit the application before the new law, and we with GV expiring in 4q 23 do not have this option to renew now. Should have given transitional period of 2 years for renewals to equalise us with the new applicants at least.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, in early Jan 2023, automatic renewal for cards due to expire in the 1st trimester of 2023 was opened. SEF specified that this would be continued throughout 2023.
Online renewals were opened in April 2023 for those with cards expiring until end June.
In July 2023, automatic renewals were opened until end Sept 2023, for cards expiring within those dates.

It is likely that automatic renewal will open in October for cards expiring in the last trimester of 2023.
Hang in there, you’re almost at the finish line. A short time to wait if your (last?) expiry is 4Q2023.

Incidentally, the revision to the law (whenever it passes) does not appear to have any bearing on automatic renewals
 Long may they (automatic renewals) last!

5 Likes

Postscript: In relation to your last paragraph, Olga, it is a common, but major error, to assume that the record number of approvals posted in the imidaily article reflects applications made in 2023. They do not. These approvals reflect applications made in 2021! - as reported by many here who have been waiting since Oct 2021 (Stage 4 processing thread).
The lag in processing at SEF is now 2 years.
As of Jan 2023 there were some ~300,000 applications awaiting approval (ARI plus other requests for Autorização de Residencia) as reported by the Ombudsman in her recent report (in Portuguese). If anyone reads her report carefully, they will note her recommendation to move to automatic processing, and a worry that the new agency will not resolve, but inherit the problem:

AND shorter versions (with some mistakes) reported in the press:

4 Likes

Yes, I know, that those are from 2021. I have waited my invitation for biometric over a year, but it was before covid.

My lawyer says that when the new law is published most likely all renewals would be stopped until SEF got clarifications what conversion into D2 means and how to do it. And how long could it be nobody knows. She also recommends to wait just because we could do nothing about that now and simply hope that the law is not finally approved by ~October 20 (expected date for 4Q renewals opened).

A bit difficult to wait knowing that president is reading that new law right now))) Especially when you are in Portugal and may lose your ability to travel.

LOL 300,000 applications in the queue, and 1k approvals in six months is a new record.

How many years is 150 months? They should start the residency clock when you apply, and when you receive approval in 12 years, they can just give you citizenship too. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not all ARI. Majority are others. But about 20,000 to 30,000 added every month to the waiting list. I feel like you
 will I live long enough?? :joy:

2 Likes

If Dec 2021 folks are being called for Biomtreics, then how come there’s 300K pending applications? Not possible. They have been issuing only 1K per year.

1 Like

President analysing More housing law during his holidays.

President on holiday in the Algarve - The Portugal News

Marcelo says he’ll decide by this Sunday 20th August. If he decides to promulgate, he notifies the assembly, the law is published a few days thereafter, then takes effect the following day.

2 Likes

What will be the result of President Marcelo’s review for the Mais Habitacao law?

• Sign the law as-is.
  • Veto the law.
  • Refer law to the TC (Constitutional court)
0 voters
3 Likes

It needs to be inconvenient to the applicant to give the appearance of “careful” review. Just like the biometrics – they have the machines in the embassies, so there is no actual need for you to fly all the way to Portugal for a fingerprint and a photo.

The point is, they don’t want it to be too easy or quick.

2 Likes

Does the President have a line-item-veto ability or is it an overall yes/no decision?