Awaiting Final Approval (Stage 4)

How long does it take from the biometrics appointment to receiving the resident card? Do you mind sharing your time? Which SEF is the fastest and slowest these days? I had my appointment in sept and am waiting for news. Thanks!

5 Likes

Benn, My appointment was September 16, 2021. I was told to submit an updated background check (since mine was almost a year old at this point), which I did on November 1. I am still waiting for my residence card. I have read a few recently (somewhere on this site) that got their card in as little as 2 months, but most that I have seen are 4-6 months.

5 Likes

Hey @bn2nt08, we did the biometrics on Aug 24th, 2021, still waiting. The biometrics were done at Lisbon.
@tortoiseexplorer where did you have your fingerprints done?

1 Like

Update to timeline:

December 28, 2020 Application submitted
March 23, 2021 Pre-Approval Received
September 16, 2021 SEF Appointment in Faro
November 1, 2021 Updated Background check submitted
January 31, 2022 Approval Notification Received
TBD Card received

5 Likes

3 months to approval and < 1 month for the card. out of the faro office.

6 Likes

fingerprint taken at Portimao office on 12 November 2021 still waiting

1 Like

Congrats, your case is approved today!

4 Likes

Took 12 months from august 2019 to august 2020. We were a family application and had to get one of our forms appostilled mid approval process - that originally only had to be signed in front of our Portuguese lawyers.

2 Likes

Biometrics in Lisbon Sept 6. Cards in hand Jan 27.

2 Likes

Lucky you! Wonder how this actually works…

3 Likes

In Portugal all “smart” documents identifying a person and incorporating an electronic chip – eg Portuguese electronic passport, citizen cards, the driving licence and residence permits for non-EU nationals etc. are centrally printed at the Imprensa National Casa de Moedas. The INEM is the consequence of merging the National Printing Office (Imprensa Nacional) with the Portuguese Mint (Casa da Moeda). In the case of residence permits – the INCM website explicitly mentions that they print cards of non-EU nationals: https://www.incm.pt/portal/gs_docid.jsp?lang=en
SEF offices provide the necessary information (including biometrics) to the Casa de Moedas and authorise printing and dispatch to the Portuguese address of the resident or authorised representative.

6 Likes

Hi @tortoiseexplorer
Did you have to return to your home country to get another background check, can you do that remotely? I go my original background paperwork in the US.
Also do you remember what paperwork you needed to bring to the biometrics appointment?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Matt,

I was able to do it from Portugal. I had to go to the embassy to get fingerprints, then mail them (DHL) to the FBI. I then used a facilitator to get them apostilled.

5 Likes

Final timeline:

December 28, 2020 Application submitted
March 23, 2021 Pre-Approval Received
September 16, 2021 SEF Appointment in Faro
November 1, 2021 Updated Background check submitted
January 31, 2022 Approval Notification Received
February 14, 2022 Card received by Attorneys
February 18, 2022 Card received by me

4 Likes

This is very helpful, thank you!
Do you remember the name of the facilitator that helped with this?

2 Likes

I used Dan Hickman at Southeast Spanish. Apostille took about three weeks.

Thank you!

Me (primary applicant):

• Biometrics in Lisbon Sept 1st, 2021,
  • Visa approved Dec 20th, 2021
  • Residency card received Jan 20th, 2022

Spouse:

• Biometrics in Porto Sept 17th, 2021
  • still waiting for approval. SEF says waiting for regional director to sign-off :man_shrugging:
2 Likes

Has anyone here got Approval since biometrics ?

1 Like

Biometrics in October, waiting for Regional Director to sign off.

6 Likes