Awaiting Pre-Approval (Stage 2)

My strong feeling is that if all you’re looking for is a Plan B passport for possibly-maybe-someday moving to an EU country, save yourself the trauma and frustration and choose any other country’s program except Portugal’s.

If you’re among the small minority like me who intends all along to move permanently to Portugal, and you want a couple years’ head start toward the passport, even then you might want to think twice. With at least 2 years delay in getting the first visa, you might just sit out those two years, then when you’re ready to move, apply for a D-7, which somehow SEF is able to process in a few months, costs a LOT less, and can feasibly be done without lawyers. With hindsight, I would never in a million years have gotten into the golden visa.

On the up side, the property investment you’d make for the GV is still a decent investment. But you can’t touch it for up to the 9 years until you get the passport. In theory, you can switch to other properties, but I’d be afraid of yet more bureaucratic bombshells being set off by doing so.

4 Likes