# Switching to D7 before biometrics for GV

**URL:** <https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350>\
**Category:** Portugal Golden Visa\
**Created:** [March 1, 2023, 7:02pm UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350 "2023-03-01T19:02:17Z")\
**Posts on this page:** 12\
**Page:** 1

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![emstjohn](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/e/d6d6ee/32.png) [@emstjohn](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/emstjohn)\
**Post date:** [March 1, 2023, 7:02pm UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/1 "2023-03-01T19:02:18Z")

</div>

Hello, i know there are several similar topics but I’m curious specifically about “switching” to the D7 before you even get the GV. We were preapproved in March 2021 and still have no biometrics appointments. But we have also decided to move to PT full time in the last year so the GV no longer makes the most sense anyway. Has anyone actually gone through the D7 process for similar reasons. It seems lawyers have different opinions on whether you can have a GV “in process” and also apply for D7. Our D7 appointment is in a few weeks!

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![portunhol](https://community.nomadgate.com/user_avatar/community.nomadgate.com/portunhol/32/5751_2.png) [@portunhol](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/portunhol)\
**Post date:** [March 1, 2023, 7:18pm UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/2 "2023-03-01T19:18:04Z")

</div>

I suspect even SEF will have differing opinions depending on who you ask. I hope you will post back on your experience and wishing you the best with the move.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![jamieaustin](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/j/ccd318/32.png) [@jamieaustin](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/jamieaustin)\
**Post date:** [November 28, 2023, 8:01pm UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/3 "2023-11-28T20:01:37Z")

</div>

Hi, this was awhile ago…but did you have success with getting the D7? I have the same question as you. Thanks!

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![jjmomming](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/j/c37758/32.png) [@jjmomming](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/jjmomming)\
**Post date:** [November 29, 2023, 8:27am UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/4 "2023-11-29T08:27:05Z")

</div>

I saw this post on FB yesterday, as I thought about doing the same:

> I’m hoping some of you can shed light on my  
> disappointing experience this morning at SEF. I have a golden visa application that has been in the works since march 2023. Since the law firm for my GV was telling me it’s going to take 12 to 18 months to obtain the GV and I wanted to live in Portugal as soon as possible, they advised I get a D7 while I was waiting for my GV. It has taken a very long time to get a first D7 appointment in Canada but went in September at the Vancouver consulate. This morning I went to my Stage 2 biometrics appointment with SEF in Portugal and was told that I could not obtain a D7 visa while I have a GV in the works. They could see the application in their system. They asked me to chooses on the spot which one of the two I wanted to cancel. This was never mentioned by the law firm, nor the Portuguese consulate in Vancouver. I am wondering if I was misled by SEF this morning? The appointment was in a very small town. Or does anyone have information with regards to the possibility of applying for other residency visas (D7, D8,  
> D3) while waiting for GV?  
> Thank you for your help. 🙂

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![cj807](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/c/fbc32d/32.png) [@cj807](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/cj807)\
**Post date:** [November 29, 2023, 8:33am UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/5 "2023-11-29T08:33:58Z")

</div>

I think it’s long been conventional wisdom on this site that you can’t apply for both at the same time, or at least that’s SEF’s position. See e.g. the last post here:

> [@Getting D-7 whilst waiting for Golden Visa](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/getting-d-7-whilst-waiting-for-golden-visa/54203):
>
> I have heard that getting a D7 is much quicker than GV. Our lawyers have told us that starting a second application whilst waiting for the GV is not a good idea. But we are at our wits end here, with no end in sight on the GV. Can anyone comment on if they’ve done this? What are the real dangers? Thank you!

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![mrcbmth](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/m/65b543/32.png) [@mrcbmth](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/mrcbmth)\
**Post date:** [November 29, 2023, 10:40am UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/6 "2023-11-29T10:40:55Z")

</div>

Which did you choose on the spot?

Did you ask them about the delay for your GV application?

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![jjmomming](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/j/c37758/32.png) [@jjmomming](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/jjmomming)\
**Post date:** [November 29, 2023, 10:58am UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/7 "2023-11-29T10:58:59Z")

</div>

It’s not my posting. I copied it from FB…

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![ohbee](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/o/977dab/32.png) [@ohbee](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/ohbee)\
**Post date:** [November 29, 2023, 1:38pm UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/8 "2023-11-29T13:38:06Z")

</div>

if you want to live in PT immediately, what is the value in getting a GV at all? you just love waiting in line or something?

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![courtney3327](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/c/a8b319/32.png) [@courtney3327](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/courtney3327)\
**Post date:** [November 29, 2023, 3:54pm UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/9 "2023-11-29T15:54:30Z")

</div>

It could be that even though they want to live in Portugal immediately, they still wouldn’t be able to meet the residency requirements of the D7 visa.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![tommigun](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/t/898d66/32.png) [@tommigun](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/tommigun)\
**Post date:** [November 29, 2023, 5:48pm UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/10 "2023-11-29T17:48:49Z")

</div>

Another scenario e.g. the primary applicant moves to PT and lives there, but the dependants don’t.  
The only way for such dependants to maintain the PT resident status is via GV.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![live2learn](https://community.nomadgate.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/l/df788c/32.png) [@live2learn](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/live2learn)\
**Post date:** [November 29, 2023, 6:00pm UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/11 "2023-11-29T18:00:18Z")

</div>

It is true. I have also posted about this in this forum. My lawyer and I went to SEF in Portugal last year (not sure why, but they managed to book the appointment there). I was in the room listening to the conversation between my lawyer and the SEF officer. Then the boss of the SEF at that location came out and confirm that “if you want to apply for a different residency visa, you need to cancel the current one that you are being processed”. So, with the story you posted, it confirms again. 👍. You need to be very clear what you want to do with Portugal. If you seriously want to live in PT, then go for D7. But if you do not want to live, go for GV. If you are in between, then keep considering and do not apply for anything until your decision is solid.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Basak\_Basar\_Beleli](https://community.nomadgate.com/user_avatar/community.nomadgate.com/basak_basar_beleli/32/7572_2.png) [@Basak\_Basar\_Beleli](https://community.nomadgate.com/u/Basak_Basar_Beleli)\
**Post date:** [February 25, 2024, 8:30am UTC](https://community.nomadgate.com/t/switching-to-d7-before-biometrics-for-gv/56350/12 "2024-02-25T08:30:05Z")

</div>

Hi, thanks for your post. Currently I am about to apply for GV but there’s a 50% chance (which I can’t control) that I may end up living in Portugal before receiving my residence thru GV. In which case, I was thinking of investing in liquid funds, to be able to withdraw my money and switch to D7. Were you able to do it eventually? My lawyer currently tells me it’s doable but I need to start from scratch the D7 process. Is that right? How was your experience at the end? Thanks in advance.
