Portugal Golden Visa Guide: Pros & Cons in 2024 – Nomad Gate

yikes, is everyone running to portugal now? :slight_smile: it’s going to get crowded!

Can any one kindly help me w following question:

1. I plan to apply GV for myself first. If I understand correctly, I can apply GV for my spouse a couple of years later under family reunion scheme?
  2. Under above scenario, can I and my spouse apply for permanent resident permit together when My GV reaches 5 years? Or my spouse has to wait for her GV to reach 5 years? If so, do I need to hold my investment until my spouse GV reaches 5 years?
    Thanks a lot.

Is this still open ? would love to learn more…

Hi all
Having studied the forum for some time, I still haven’t found an answer for some of my questions regarding my parents.
I’m considering the GV real estate investment option and have a spouse and two non-dependable (both officially working) parents aged 62.
What are my options?

1. Should I wait till the elders are 65?
  2. Can I apply now, and add the to my application in 3 years (when they reach 65)?
  3. Do they need to be dependant when they reach 65, or is this non necessary at that age?

Thanks forward for any feedback.

Hi Roger,

1.) I submitted my golden visa application first, and then I submitted for my wife 1 month later. I then set it up, so that I could get my wife’s and my biometric appointment done at same time. So to answer your question, you can likely apply at same time, but I would wait a month or so and then apply for your wife.

2.) If you apply with 2 years difference, I’m pretty sure your wife has to wait the full 5 years, but don’t quote me on that.

In summary, submit your application first, wait a month if you want, and then do your application. hope that helps.

Hi Alex,

According to my lawyer, if your parents are still working and under 65, then you have to prove you are supporting (bank statements with transfers).

1.) I can’t tell you which is best option, but I would wait till they are 65 years old, since they don’t ask you to prove they are a dependent, which is why 65 year old breakoff is easier.

2.) Yes, you can apply for yourself, and bring your parents on later without any issues.

3.). I think my above answer explained this. Your parents have to be dependents regardless if they are above or below 65 years old, but if they are below 65 years old, you have to prove it. If they are above 65 years old, government assumes they are dependent and you don’t have to prove it.

I’m neither a lawyer nor Portuguese, just an overly informed through experience person, so take what I say with grain of salt.

Sidenote, your Portuguese lawyer should be able to tell you all this once you start process, so I would focus on getting a good lawyer on the ground.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Hi Zayd,

Thank you for your advice,

Under my spouse circumstances, she will only be able to apply for GV a couple of years after I get my GV and under family reunion scheme, i suppose. The real question is how long I need to keep my GV investment, which will have an impact on my investment selection - some VC funds have a terms of 6 yrs.

Alternavtively, can I just wait out my 5yr GV till I got my permanent residence permit and then I apply for two yr spouse visa for my spouse. After the initial two-year period, she can obtain an independent residence permit. Once the two-year residence permit period expires, she can receive the same permanent residence as mine.

Hi Roger,

Understand you have circumstances that prevent your spouse that force her to wait for two years. As to option 2 you propose, it sounds very good on paper, but I am not sure about how that process works as I have not gone through it myself.

Again, my recommendation is to talk to a lawyer on the details of that place to make sure it’s both possible and more easy to do. Good luck in the process, and happy to give you more information on the Golden Visa process for real estate as I have more background on that particular investment option.

Strange question but I did the process without a lawyer. I was approved after the biometrics and paid my fee. How long should it take for issuance of the ‘golden visa’ does it get posted to me or do I need to get it collected?

2 Likes

Which path did you follow, real estate or capital investment? How difficult was it all, really? Or do you have prior experience with Portuguese bureaucracy?

Is it possible to become a citizen of Portugal without ever becoming a tax resident? For example, if you only spend the minimum number of days (around 1 week per year) in Portugal while on the Golden Visa, you aren’t obligated to pay any sort of taxes on your assets (eg. capital gains taxes) held in your home country while you reside in your home country, right? It’s my understanding that you only become a tax resident if you spend 183 or more days in Portugal. I would like to live in Portugal only after becoming a citizen and not have to pay any capital gains taxes on my assets held in my home country while I wait the 5-6 years.

Thank you

1 Like

Now the first Golden Visa Residence Permit is valid for 2 years and each renewal has a validity of 3 years.

1 Like

According to the law is seems possible. :slight_smile:

If you paid a fee of 8,60€ on the day of the biometrics, that was the fee for them to send the card home.
It might be sent to the address you wrote down on the form which you delivered together with all your personal documents.

Thanks. Now to work out what address I put on that form!

Hi Zayd
Great thanks for your complete and organised feedback!

This is an informative site. I am thinking of buying a property in Portugal and also apply for citizenship in the future. I have one questions my children are 18 and 19 years in age and are in college and are my dependent can they be included as part of the family for citizenship.

Yes they can so long as they are in University and remain unmarried. I think up to age 27? Not 100% sure on the upper age limit.

Ok that is good.

@DumontdosSantos

Hello, If the first card is already issued for one year. Will the renewal card be for 2 years or 3 years?
Thanks in advance.