Portugal Golden Visa Guide: Pros & Cons in 2024 – Nomad Gate

Hi Cheung, I’ve just recently started investing in Portugal property market, for the Golden Visa Programme; your family need to spend one week in the first year and two weeks every two years in Portugal over the five year period, then apply for residency. I hope this helps. :grinning: Happy to give your further information if required.

Hi Russell, when did you originally invest? I can check for you. My sense is if it’s recent past 3-6 months it shouldn’t be an issue but if its been a few years I’m not sure. Thanks

Is it easy to find out potential property in the city of Lisbon which meet the NUT III requirement?

(this amount can be substantially reduced by 20%, with the overall investment being € 280,000** if it is carried out in low-density territories (NUT III level with less than 100 inhabitants per km2 or GDP per capita less than 75% of the National average)

Not sure about this but I’ll see if I can find out something locally.

Is it possible we go to other EU countries under Schengen visa when we are fulfilling the minumun stay in Portugal?

Yes with the Schengen visa you can travel to other EU countries.

It wouldn’t count as stays in Portugal if you go to other Schengen countries. You need to spend the 7/14/14 days in the country.

You can of course legally travel to other Schengen countries, it just wouldn’t count as a stay in Portugal.

Keep in mind that you also need to learn some basic Portuguese to get the citizenship (A2 level), so it would definitely help to spend some time there to practice or take some lessons from locals.

If I join the Golden Visa programme with my spouse and kids at kindergarten age, do they need to go through the language test Level A2 for the passport?

My boyfriend and I are looking to purchase real estate in Portugal that could be used as an investment opportunity but also a vacation house and allow us to be apart of the golden Visa program. Has anyone tried any of these full service legal, rental, application support, real estate broker agencies to help ease the process? Otherwise am I needing to find an independent Lawyer, and independent broker and an independent company to help with rental of the property?

Hi,
where do you / does your boyfriend come from?
In wich reagion in Portugal are you inrested?
Regards
Joshua

Hey, I understand that on the date of the application for the golden visa, the 24 year old son of the main applicant is eligible only if he is dependent, single and in full-time education. Does he have to meet all these criteria when applying for citizenship 5 years later or he will not be able to?

1 Like

Hey @Sami1,

I have worked in the Portuguese real estate industry for over 5 years. What I can tell you that it is important to work with a licensed real estate agency and I would always advice you to work with an independent lawyer that can advise you with regards to your investment and your golden visa. Also, try to work with a real estate consult rather than a regular real estate agent, who can advise you on the right investment that fits your personal situation and preferences and is interested in helping you to make the right decision instead of trying to sell his/her listing.

I think if you decide to invest in a property in a low density area, you would need a local to manage your property. Sometimes the vendors / developers offer a guaranteed return nett of costs (so you don´t pay utility bills / condo fees) for an agreed period of time (4 or 5 years). But you can also buy a property and have it managed by an independent property management company. Usually the property management companies or holiday rental companies will charge a percentage of the rental income and you would have to bare the costs for the utility bills and condo fees etc yourself. In this last option you would be a bit more flexible on using the property yourself.

In any case, your lawyer would also advise you on this management contract.

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Hi @pandaaddvalue,

Unfortunately, Lisbon city or Lisbon region does not meet the NUT III requirement. For this type of investment you would have to focus in regions such as the Alentejo etc.

You can find properties in Lisbon city centre or in the close surroundings that would fit in the 350k gv scheme.

With regards to the minimum stay, just like @tkrunning mentioned, you would have to really stay in Portugal for the 7/14/14 days, but to be honest I don´t think that is such a bad thing!! :grin:

Hope it helps!

I applied for the GV in the summer 2018.

By law, it took exactly 3 months to get SEF pre-approved & I scheduled the bio-metrics meeting at SEF on December 3th.

Then, it’s not clear how much time it takes to process. If they pre-approve within 3 months, how come it takes so long to double check the original documentation? I heard 2-8 weeks from a legal firm, and 3-6 months from another one… but it’s been 4 months already, and I think they should also have a legal time frame to process the visa.

Anybody received their permanent visa lately and know how much time it takes? I’m single by the way… so it should not be THAT long… :smile:

Kind regards,

John

Thanks @ sanne
I think that I will go with an investment into a fund.
it’s easier than going into a real estate investment: no taxes, no handling, etc…
If one day I am going to live in Portugal I can pick my self where I would like to live (for sure, not in these time share places suggested by the agencies).
Thanks.

Originally bought 10 years ago! But have recently (June last year) purchased a villa at €420,000 and spent over €100,000 renovating. It would be interesting to know how this would be viewed.

Dear Thomas, thanks for the all the information! I found it very useful. As for the transfer of capital and maintain deposit in a bank option (EUR 1 million) to local bank, does it have to be a local Portuguese Bank or can it be into any bank? I’d be more comfortable transferring to the likes of HSBC / Citibank etc.

Hi there, can anyone provide some details of what type of investment fund is available for satisfying the requirement for the Portugal gold visa program, thanks a lot

Google Portugal Golden Visa… honestly that’s quite easy to find with all the lawyer firm offering the serving and giving details / requirements.

Hello! That is correct!

1 Like