The Ultimate Guide to the Portuguese Golden Visa

No, you’d have to find a buyer yourself, most likely (in the case it’s a 10 year fund). Some funds that target GV investors are set up for 6 or 7 years, or have some sort of exit option after ~6 years (sometimes at a cost).

Also there are a couple of funds I know that are planning to list on Euronext in Lisbon at some point in the next few years to make it easier to sell your investment (although probably on Euronext Access, meaning the liquidity isn’t necessarily that high).

Bottom line: It’s a valid concern and something you should discuss with the various funds before deciding to invest.

You captured the very essence of my inquiry, one of the funds provided 3 exit strategies but that is after the 6th year. I still wanna know how safe my investment would be in 6th year time.

I have not been lucky to find an investment advisor that could provide guidance on the path to go, do you have a recommendaton?

One of the key benefits of the thoughts to go this route is liquidity, security of investment tops the list. Or perhaps, will wait it out and proceed with whatever is on the table when the dust of the new legislation clears up.

Hi Thomas

Just reading through the requirements list for the Application via the 500k route and am wondering if you can clarify what is meant by the following:

• evidence of entry and legal stay in the National Territory - is this a normal 90 days in six months automatic visa (for Australians) when one is buying the property or when one is turning up for the interview or when in particular ?

• health insurance - does that have to be for a full year - when you might only be staying the minimum 7 days in the first year ? Or is it for when you are completing the interview etc. - say 6 months ?

• criminal record application form - is that on the SEF application site & just requiring to be filled out ?

• likewise the “Sworn Statement” ?

• likewise the “evidence of negative debt tax obligations” - Assume that is for Portugal and how does one get that ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

@Edward43 have you come across anyone?

@thinktwice are you able to give us an update on how your progress has gone? I’ve done biometrics in June 2019, currently in March 2020 and still no card… or any update as to when. Just get told to wait…

1 Like

@Zayd_Khoury out of interest can you tell me how long you’ve been waiting? I’ve been terribly frustrated with the waiting game, i’m going on 9 months and still no residency card and seems ongoing issues with the ‘SEF’. Always wanting new documents or more documents, laywers dont seem to know whats happening or perhaps jut not very good at keeping clients updated. But perhaps this is how long it all takes in Portugal.

Will there be any interest in those 5 years ? Thanks

Typically yes, but all renovation or refurbishment projects run the risk of delays. This is important to accept as an investor. As regards debt financing, anything above the GV threshold can be financed, as land as a debt lender will agree.

Sadly, I’m also waiting since May 2019. I reach out to my lawyer’s every month that goes by and get told that I’m still all good, and they are waiting to issue the card soon. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s anything other than the fact that they have a huge queue of applications waiting to get approved, and things seem to move slower in Europe. Good for lifestyle, bad for bureaucracy.

Just know your frustration is shared by me as well.

2 Likes

Hi Leigh

Did you draft and submit the forms to SEF yourself or did you get a lawyer to do it for you ?

rgds

Eugen

@Leigh_Mac - I gave an update in December in this thread. Also waited around 9 months from my bio metrics done in December 2018.

Now the funny thing is the renewal in September. I guess I will start to proceed as soon as June to make sure I don’t have a expired permit by the end of the year.

Bureaucracy is just extremely slow, non-transparent and frustrating.

2 Likes

@charmerc I have no idea what you are talking about. I’m a resident in Portugal now and can stay in the EU/Schengen for the whole year.

I did the 90 days out of 180 during 14 months before actually receiving my residence permit. Since I left my previous country and could not stay more than 3 months in Portugal/Europe, I had to travel in 7 different countries from the day of the GV application until my permit was delivered.

Glad this is the past as at some point you need to settle down somewhere.

3 Likes

Oops, sorry! I misread the post. Reply withdrawn.

No problem :slight_smile:

@Leigh_Mac, @Zayd_Khoury, @thinktwice - thank you guys for sharing your waiting experience with Portugal.
Rare and valuable information, indeed.
It is important to know what to expect for a lot of money paid.

1 Like

Hello, does anybody know whether the 350k EUR property refurbishment option in Lisbon or Porto will be impacted or not by the parliament bill in February? i.e. are these property purchase still going to be eligible for GV even after the government will implement the changes?

Thank you.

Yong

Yes, it will almost certainly also be impacted.

@Leigh_Mac, Good news! Similar to @thinktwice, I waited 9 months and 2 weeks after submitting documents for biometrics, and I just got notification to make payment by my lawyers.

Hope this brings a bit of hope for those waiting in limbo.

3 Likes

Hi Thomas,

Do you have any latest update/ information (I know they are non-official) on the timeline of the February bill implementation? If I make a decision to buy an eligible Lisbon property now and get the payment/ contract done within the next 6~8 weeks, how likely will I be able to fulfill the SEF submission without being impacted by the cut-off?

I saw some reports indicating the implementation will be end of 2020 - of course, nobody can guarantee anything. But how is it likely to be the case? And with Coronavirus, how the timeline may be impacted? Thank you.

Best regards,

Yong

1 Like

Hi, does anyone know what will happen if people are unable to travel to Portugal due to the lockdown for the sake of spending the 1 week or 2 week period needed for renewal?