Portugal Golden Visa Guide: Pros & Cons in 2024 – Nomad Gate

As far as I know it starts after you get your residency card… in June 2020 we would have been waiting 1 year since we did biometrics so I’m hoping it will be soon. Good luck

Thanks Alexander. That sounds very logical and it’s insightful.

Hello everyone. My name is Eyal and I am planning to apply for a Potugueses GV.
I am checking the 350K investment option - investing in a farm for renovation.
Does anyone know what is the definition of such renovation?
i.e if I buy a place with an old 100 sqm house - can I extend it? build anoter floor? is that a ‘proper’ renovation investment?
If I buy a quinta with 3 buildings, 2 of them are in a good atate and one requires renovation, does that qualify for the GV?
THanks a lot !

So…I had said, I got notification for approval for residence cards about 28 days ago, and made payment for myself. However to give more details, my card got approved and paid fees, but I had to wait a further 2 weeks for my wife’s card to get approved, with both of us getting approved March 19th and payment being made. After, that we were told by our lawyers that we would have, a further 20+ business days for our cards to be issued. So hopefully once cards get issued, I can give you update on timing.

Be patient though I know it’s hard, and assume everything will take longer while everyone deals with coronavirus. Hope all of you are safe and well in far flung parts of globe.

2 Likes

Under the Portuguese State Budget for 2020, which entered in force in April 1st 2020, the Parliament has authorized the Government to change rules regarding the concession of residence by investment, known as Golden Visa, until the end of 2020 as follow:

1. Real estate investments in Lisbon and Porto (Metropolitian areas) would no longer qualify for that Visa;
  2. Real estate investments for the purporse of that Visa would be restricted to the territory of Intermunicipal Communities of the hinterland, Azores and Madeira;
  3. Increase the minimum investment amount and number of jobs to be created.

The Government may approve the new rules until the end of 2020. The new regime will not be penalize renewals of previously grandted Golden Visa or family reunions on the basis of the latter. Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic Crisis it is not clear if the Gouverment will pursue these changes.

1 Like

Hi,

Is it still possible to apply for Portuguese citizenship if I become an EU citizenship during my 5 years under residence visa? Say, for example, I obtain a Malta passport after 2 years living in Portugal under my golden visa and I go and live in the UK. In this case, will I be allowed to apply for Portugese citizenship under resident permit since I would now become an EU citizen.

Thanks for helping

Stephane

Hi Stephane,

As you know, the golden visa regime is not applicable to EU nationals.

If you’re half way through your 5-year golden visa period, you’ll have to renew it at the end of year 3 and I’d be surprised if your new EU nationality was not picked up by the authorities (assuming you don’t declare it. Don’t forget that for renewal of the golden visa, you’d have to present a criminal record issued by the authorities of your place of residence and certified by the local Portuguese diplomatic authorities.

Hence, if you still have to renew your golden visa, I’d say that chances are small of making it. You may eventually get to PT nationality, but most probably not through the golden visa path.

Stay well,
Gui

Thank you so much @guifig for your explanation. It’ll help us take better decisions.

My pleasure @PressMonk. If there’s anything else I may help you with, just feel free to reach out.

A disclaimer: I’m a Portuguese lawyer.
Stay well and safe,
Gui

@guifig that’s awesome. Are you an expert in Portuguese Golden Visa?

@PressMonk I’m an international tax and private clients lawyer and I deal with all things related to private clients (individuals), including golden visa and immigration/nationality.
Stay safe!

Thanks! I’ll reach you soon!

@guifig is it possible to add my kid’s mom to a family application even though we’re not married?

@PressMonk there isn’t really a family application. What you do is to apply for yourself and simultaneously ask for family reunification (i.e so that your family may join you if and when you are given the golden visa).
It is possible for an unmarried partner to be considered as family for theses purposes but you’d have to provide evidence that you have both been living as if you were husband and wife.
I hope this helps.

Super great! @guifig Thanks again!

1 Like

Hello,

Just a quick question , how can people with GV expiring during the Corona Virus lockdown restrictions enter Portugal once the lockdown expires. Will their GV card be renewed automatically or do they need to apply for a new visa?

Refards

Hello @62ba0dd5aea8817c8119, you just need to apply online for the renewal of your GV (as you would normally) - please make sure you don’t miss the normal renewal deadlines. Your renewal request or your request for a meeting with the Borders Authorities (for the purposes of renewing your GV) shall cause your GV to remain valid until the situation returns to normal and you’re able to proceed with the renewal procedure “as usual”. I hope this helps.
Stay well and safe,
Gui

Thanks,
Very helpful, any clarity if at all if the minimum stay requirement is not met due to inability to travel especially if this stays will into the summer ( ie at least 6 months of inability to trave and the GV expires within this period.

Regards

1 Like

Hi @nassarfk, even if you are unable to meet the stay requirements, you should request the renewal of you GV within the given deadlines. All GVs valid as at March 18 (start of the emergency state) shall be deemed valid at least until June 30. The Borders Authorities should restart scheduling meetings with candidates as from July 1st. In your place, I would apply early for renewal and try to meet the stay requirements until you meet with the Borders Authorities. If not possible, and given the situation, I guess the authorities will be more concerned about people maintaining their investments rather than the number of days they spent in Portugal.

Thank you very much.

Regards