US IMGA investors tax filing

Hi all, figured I’d start a thread about how the heck to file taxes for reference to others and to ourselves next year, when we have to do it again :slight_smile:

My understanding is that US investors in the IMGA fund (assuming a 350k EUR minimum investment) need to file the following forms:

FBAR (online)

I am using freetaxUSA to do my taxes, they support sending the 8938 but not 8621.

Filing the FBAR was trivial, no concern there. The US govt’s website kinda sucks but it’s not awful.

FreeTaxUSA fills out your 8938 like this if you forget to say you have another depository account. If you tell freetaxusa about both the account reported on the 8621 (eg your IMGA investment) AND your bison depository account, you get a longer form with info on bison and the max value of the depository account through the year.

For form 8621 itself, we need to fill in some information at the top about the fund, and then part 3 6a-c and 7a-c. I believe we need some sort of form from IMGA for this, which I’ve emailed them about, but haven’t gotten a response.

EDIT: Though looking at it, since IMGA Acoes portugal class R shares don’t pay dividends or anything, surely all of 6abc and 7abc are 0? I’m also confused by part 1 question 1, description of each class of shares held by the shareholder - I suspect “Class R investor shares” is wrong, but I don’t know what I would put

How’s everyone else handling their taxes? Any thoughts on the above? Am I missing anything?

2 Likes