What on earth is going on with SEF appointments?

Hi Nevada

Like you said, I tried tirelessly for months without success. The scheduling system suddenly opened a whole months’ worth of appointments at 18:30 (Central European Time), for all locations. I snatched one as quickly as I could move my hand. Now I can book my flight for Oct.

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

2 Likes

Hi Sam

I’m in a similar position - however, I am trying to get my biometric card to replace my residency certificate (a new requirement as a result of Brexit).

Plus I am outside of Portugal in a red country (South Africa).at the moment. Will I be able to communicate with SEF if they give me a date that I cannot meet?

Does anyone know a reliable contact at SEF? It could even be a generic email they have, as long as they use it and reply to it? I feel like it is a black hole, no reply, no information flow!

Did you try calling them on the phone?

Yes, I tried these two numbers they listed on their site
(+351) 808 202 653 & (+351) 808 962 690

according to the AFIP folks, attempting to call SEF at this point is a near useless exercise. You might have some luck around 8-9. Relating what I’ve read, YMMV.

And what did they tell you? If they answered your call that is?

No response :frowning:

OK, did you try this email: gricrp.cc@sef.pt?

My lawyers recently told me that they have on good authority that SEF is making substantial changes to appointment scheduling system for ARI applicants. How much positive change it will have for us applicants is anyone’s guess.

@mir3134 - Any update on the changes? We’ve been waiting to get an appointment since April and even checking on the site it comes up with no options. It seems like with this level of backlog, there must be so many other ways to work through this backlog more quickly. At some point it’s not unlike the work companies like Fedex, Amazon or UPS deal with around the holidays…packages come in…then go out. Maybe someone from one of these logistics companies could provide some ideas.

Hi Nevada. How long were you working on your appointments? I’m trying to balance my daytime job and living away from the website and wondering if I’m being unlucky or not working hard enough at this. I’m switching between the ARI site and watching water boil and paint dry… :wink:

Nothing has changed regarding appointments, and if anything the situation has become worse. I know people are anxious and frustrated but there is almost nothing you can do. A LOT of people are in the same situation. Several people including myself have posted about status. If you work constantly and get really lucky maybe you can find a single appointment. When there are changes such as SEF opening up more appointments or the situation changes, people post about it here. Otherwise, there is nothing new.

1 Like

There’s tons of possibilities, but as discussed, this is a government agency; exactly how fast do you expect any sort of change in current process to happen, or how much ambition/effort do you think is being applied given SEF is being broken up into a bunch of fragments and the government itself is in a fair bit of turmoil?

It sucks, it’s going to keep sucking.

@anon16151502 - I do recall reading your posts in my early days in the process and its funny how eagerness and optimism can blind one from reality. Thanks for updating your timeline on the thread below and I can confirm your numbers appear to be spot on to what I am also finding. reposting the link for those curious… feels like such a long time ago when I saw this first thread…I was younger then… :wink:

Thanks again.

Checking manually, I was able to spot about one last-minute appointment per week. With a bit of virtuous cleverness, I was able to spot about two appointments a week.

1 Like

Unfortunately all remains the same. My lawyers and other contacts in Portugal still maintain that SEF will eventually take measures to remedy the situation, but no one seems to know when. A true kafkaesque nightmare, when it ought to be have been really simple.

Another thread where people are talking about SEF appointment status here:

1 Like

We are getting feedback from lawyers that they could register new applicants today. Has anybody else got feedback from their lawyer?

I think it is opened up well and my lawyers were able to get an appointment for Sep. it took 11 months for us in waiting times which was expected due to all the problems they had and of course covid related issues. Keep the hope !