Awaiting Final Approval (Stage 4)

Just to confirm that the corresponding Law n.Āŗ 23/2007 was amended back in 2015:

https://dre.pt/dre/legislacao-consolidada/lei/2007-67564445-155563978

It is indeed 90 days now for the initial grant, and then 60 days for renewals.

(Funny that SEFā€™s own manual dated 2017 still refers to 60 days, two years after the Law was amendedā€¦ :wink: )

6 Likes

Contact SEF with this information and let us know how it goes! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I shall certainly prepare to contact SEF in due course if Iā€™m not in receipt of cards within 90 days, as I have a hard deadline myself where I must obtain the residence permit by a certain date due to the Customs requirements. Luckily that date is later than the 90 days, but not by far.

1 Like

When is/was your biometrics appt? Mine is in Lisbon in mid march, Iā€™ll report back with how long until I receive my cards. Also not opposed to flying back to pick them up in office, which several people from the Americans and friends Portugal group have done. One guy recently said that his card had just been sitting there, he went to the office and they got it for him right away.

4 Likes

Good Luck! We did 6 biometrics in Lisbon 30 June and 1 July 2022. Still waiting!

5 Likes

Mine was in Porto in the early Jan 2023.
I was offered the option of collecting the cards by myself physically at the same SEF office, or my lawyer collecting them in person (for an extra travel expenses charge).
The other ā€œnot recommendedā€ options were postal delivery to my Portugal home address or to my lawyerā€™s office in Lisbon. However the lawyer said the risk of losing the cards in the post is not worth taking.

4 Likes

Thank you! Yeah, Iā€™d like to go with the pick up in person option. I donā€™t think I trust the post. Haha. Fingers crossed yours arrives quickly!

2 Likes

Adding on to say, itā€™s absolutely wild (strategic?) the difference In processing times between the D7 and GV. Someone on Americans and friends Portugal just posted that he received his residency cards in the mail today from a Jan 10th biometrics appt in Lisbon. Craaaazy

4 Likes

Small update and question for those who can answer:

I did my biometric in Lisbon back in late July of 2022, and when I requested a 6-month update from my lawyers they said that SEF told them they were still processing May 2022 biometrics for residency at this point.

Can anyone who did biometrics in Lisbon in March or April 2022 confirm that theyā€™ve already received their cards, or at least been granted final approval? If the numbers provided to my lawyers by SEF are to be believed this would make the current lead time of a Lisbon biometric between 8-10 months.

1 Like

My wife and I did the biometrics in Lisbon in early February, 2022 but I have not received any news at all. Anyone who did the biometrics around February, 2022 in Lisbon has been approved? We have waited for too long indeed!!!

2 Likes

Biometrics in Lisbon in April 2022. Still waitingā€¦.

1 Like

This makes me super excited for my biometrics appointment in Lisbon in 6 weeks. Lol

3 Likes

Oh no, why make the appt in lisbon?

Iā€™m leaning toward Oporto currently, but maybe Faro

6 Likes

We took first available appointment anywhere in Portugal. Not in a position to pick and choose particular offices or dates if we want to actually move forward with this process.

5 Likes

Were you part of the recent group of invites for biometrics?

If Porto/Faro/etc go quickly then I suppose Iā€™ll have to change plans :thinking:

Hi! Have you requested any information from SEF directly of from your lawyers?
As Iā€™ve mentioned previously, at some point I figured out that SEF was missing several documents that had been submitted during biometrics, so basically they were sitting there silently without notifying me and/or my lawyers.
I encourage everyone to ask SEF directly by email and request a status update.
What I normally get from them is this:

Blockquote
Em resposta ao email infra informa-se que o processo se encontra a aguardar instruĆ§Ć£o por ordem cronolĆ³gica, de acordo com a entrada do pedido.

or this:

Blockquote
Na sequĆŖncia do e-mail infra, informa-se V. Exa, que o processo em causa aguarda decisĆ£o superior.

The email to be contacted is the following: DRLVTA.ARILx@sef.pt

1 Like

My lawyers booked it, and Iā€™ll take what I can get! Also, do enjoy Lisbon and met some nice friends there as well. Quick three day holiday in Lisbon ainā€™t too shabby! Maybe since itā€™s just a one person application etc I can catch some luck and hope it goes faster. Iā€™ll wear a head to toe Portugal footy kit, come with pastel de nata and a smile? Hahaha

3 Likes

My partner had his biometrics in Lisbon in April 2022. No GV until now. It will be 10 months by mid Feb.

I did my biometrics in Portimao also in April 2022. Mine was released last September 2022. Thatā€™s only 5 months of wait time.

2 Likes

Wow thatā€™s a huge difference!
Would it be possible for you to post an update once he gets his approval? I had my biometrics 2 months after him in June in Lisbon. And my lawyer says itā€™s taking about 9/10 months for the approval in Lisbon.
Hoping to get some indications on if theyā€™re right, and how much longer I need to wait from your case.
And hope your partner gets his approval soon!

True. What a huge difference!

My friendā€™s son who had his biometrics in Lisbon last March 2022 got his GV last January. Thatā€™s indeed 10 months for his case. Letā€™s see if this holds true for my partner who is now about to reach the same period in around 2 weeks.

Will update you guys here.

3 Likes