Awaiting Pre-Approval (Stage 2)

I read it as worrying. Especially for those not yet pre-approved. But a) even if you are, might it jeapordise the rest of the process? and b) could it endanger renewals?

The online ARI portal is currently not workingç

4 Likes

yes, the same for me

3 Likes

Usually its not retrospective. So those who have applied may not be affected

2 Likes

I hope you are correct and the Portuguese government allows those who have already applied to go forward. The Portuguese government might be preparing to stop Golden VIsa applications in 2023, but if they do decide not to allow those who have already applied from going forward, I would certainly do everything in my power to bring legal action against the government. My husband and I applied December 23, 2021, we don’t have pre-approval, and I am really concerned that we may be stuck in the US, and not escaping the collapse of the US democracy and increasing violence. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that we all can continue on with our applications without the fear that the rug is going to pulled out from underneath us. If you are a lawyer in this field or if you have talked to your lawyer about this, please post what you know or have learned, I would like a good night’s sleep tonight.

4 Likes

Based on the wording of the Prime Minister’s statement “…it has fulfilled its function”, and on common sense, it seems that Portugal will simply stop accepting new applications for the ARI visa. The impression I have is that they’re hinting that the GV has had its day, when the last ones are finished, don’t renew it. Kind of like a bartender saying “Last call!”

Had he said something like “it is an affront to decency and humanity”, then I might worry about them cutting off all processing.

1 Like

Here’s an update from IAServices.pt on the latest PM quote:

"Following the recent news published in the Portuguese media, quoting the Portuguese Prime Ministry Mr. António Costa saying that it is possible that the Golden Visa Program may reach its end, IAS would like to mention that they were uttered at the opening of the Websummit Conference in Lisbon.

Currently, the only information we can provide is that such termination is not mentioned in the budget law for the year 2023, and they are also not part of any active discussion at the Parliament or between the political parties. We also consulted with our partners, and based on the described situation, we believe that the implementation of any change should be delayed in the short term.

Also, we would like to point that that any eventual change/alteration of the program will not impact the applications already submitted or to be submitted until the moment such eventual change/alteration comes into force."

3 Likes

The content was discussed in Parliament yesterday during the debate of next year’s budget. Budget discussions (Ministry by Ministry) are ongoing until end November. The Internal Affairs Minister stated that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and also the Ministry of Economy will carry out an assessment of golden visas and, after this assessment, “probably there will be a decision to eliminate this modality”.

In the debate, the Minister admitted that GV’s days are likely numbered. PAN, BE, PCP vocally against, Chega for. But if PS’s hand is forced because of recent press (see: https://www.dn.pt/sociedade/milionarios-dos-vistos-gold-estao-a-receber-o-apoio-do-estado-de-125-euros-15296195.html) the outcome of a Parliamentary vote is clearer.

Not what those of us with pending applications want to hear. But it seems logical and likely that if the PM speaks about it in public, and it is brought up in Parliament with words that anticipate a negative outcome, then the writing is on the wall.

3 Likes

@Onward thanks for your info. How does the budget process work? Are they discussing until end of Nov the budget that is adopted in 2023, or 2024?

1 Like

At this point I would be glad if they just ended the whole GV. At least I will have no qualms about selling my investment and go do something else.

1 Like

Only the budget for 2023. There is a well-defined process. The agenda is defined here:Audições no âmbito da apreciação na especialidade do Orçamento do Estado | 31 de outubro a 4 de novembro. At the bottom of the page (which has photos of the different Ministers) there is a link to Calendário de apreciação which gives you the daily agenda. One can listen or see it live streamed on RTP.

I should say that parliamentary discussions that change existing laws will normally specify deadlines and outline the procedure to be followed for bringing things to closure.

Thank you. So the other folks saying this could all only take effect in 2024 are technically wrong. There is the mechanism here for it to be debated, and concluded in time for impacts in 2023?

We need to keep track of how this is being debated now, as Parliamentary decisions can be made in the course of the Budget discussions that affect these visas in 2023. The likely scenario is a change to existing laws on the ARI from x date. As others have said, it will be important to know how discussions go with regard to the “pending” applications, whenever that discussion is held.

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust a feedback from IAS on this, as they might be biased toward an interest of one of the big developer, any neutral law firm to advise here?

Mine are quite conservative, and said

"In order to be applicable, the initiative must be discussed and voted by the Portuguese parliament and then published. It goes without saying that this procedure is heavily bureaucratic and slow, which means that it will not happen any time soon.

Nevertheless, this would never jeopardize your application as the Law would only be applicable to future applications, which is not your case."

3 Likes

I just got an email from our attorneys basically stating the same thing.

1 Like

Golden visa controversy - The Portugal News

Two days following your post that the ARI Portal is not working, my lawyer has just advised that it is still not.

Let’s hope that this access issue is not connected to the article posted about the PM’s comments that the GV has “served its purpose”. :grimacing:

If anyone reading this successfully accesses the ARI portal in the coming days, please would you post to let us all know that it is open again.

Many thanks

I addressed the issue to my lawyers, they have no idea what has happened. Promised to contact SEF on the matter.

I was forwarded a SEF reply to a GV investor, regarding the delay. The letter indicates that the application review is based not on the submission, but rather the payment settlement date (DUC - taxa de receção e análise). The application, is, then, automatically put in chronological review order by ARI portal, which, supposdely, causes the whole mess, delays and discrepancy in a pre-approval. My submission date is Dec.3, payment settled on the 7th, I guess I would rely more towards the latter date as the start point. Hope that helps everyone.

2 Likes