Can Americans Use IRA Account to Invest for Portugal Golden Visa?

Just chiming in my thoughts.
The IRA route doesnā€™t make sense to me. You are adding layers of complexity and risk to a situation that already has enough uncertainty. IRAs are not exactly meant for this purpose. That doesnā€™t mean you couldnā€™t find a way to do it, but I donā€™t see that as a solid approach.

In terms of custodians, itā€™s the sort of thing Goldstar Trust might do. I have not done this specific thing with them, but I have done offshore IRAs through them and I donā€™t know that I see this being significantly different, really. I expect they will want to talk to your Portuguese lawyer and request all the appropriate documentation, but thatā€™s just paperwork. You should not need the onshore LLC - you are customer of record with Goldstar as the custodian, Goldstar purchases the offshore LLC on your behalf. Or thatā€™s how it should work. That said, they will also charge you for all the time and effort youā€™re asking them to go through to set this whole thing up.

At least one fund will, Iā€™ve been told, work with you on the ā€œwhat if it doesnā€™t go throughā€ problem, e.g. theyā€™ll let you back out - maybe not right away, youā€™d have to wait for the next new investor to transfer the shares to, but theyā€™re willing to do so assuming the reasons are decent. I imagine thatā€™s not the default stance, but again, it seems possible.

As to Michaelā€™s point - I imagine the reason most people want to do this is ā€œthatā€™s where I have the necessary cash that doesnā€™t have anything else to do for 5 years anywayā€. So maybe itā€™s the only way some people can do it. But youā€™re adding layers of complexity and fuss. Trade-offs as always.

1 Like

Is anyone else applying with a family? Iā€™m planning to apply with both my parents because they are over 65 and therefore are automatically considered my dependents. That means we can all go under a single application. Weā€™re planning to all contribute part of the funds, and only I will need to set up the SDIRA. I wonder if that will cause problems.

Are people still meeting to discuss this or did I miss the boat already?

Has anyone on this thread conclusively determined if itā€™s compliant on both US and PT end to use IRA funds for the investment funds? And if so, what the path is (i.e. IRA LLC to PT LLC to fund OR other)? Iā€™m not interested in the discussion of self-dealing here, unless someone has actually discovered and can site an official ruling ā€“ iā€™m more interested in if PT considers the fund source from a single beneficiary LLC to be compliant on there end, etc.
Thanks!

1 Like

I am also interested if the SDIRA self-dealing rule has been tracked down. Thanks.

Just curious if anyone has successfully used a self directed 401k option. I hear a lot about starting a llc, moving 401k funds into it and then investments (real estate, etc.)

Anyone find out anything definitive or actually gone this route yet?

Thanks

1 Like

Any definitive conclusions to this thread? I have a SoloK with check book and have made PEG investments in the US with it. If there are interested parties that want to Zoom, I would love to be a part of it. And posting our findings here. Full disclosure, I am a tax accountant, but I have no idea how to go about this from the PT side.

3 Likes

There are no conclusions yet ā€“ itā€™s currently either untested or in the worksā€¦ but I did connect to both a US-based financial advisor (living in Lisbon) and a Portuguese attorney who are pretty confident they could successfully navigate this scenario and comply with both the US IRS and PT immigration.

The attorney: Madalena Monteiroā€¦ she is smart and an excellent creative thinker / problem solver. We also really appreciate the CFP: John McNertney. Good luck and please let me know if you actually move forward!

Moderator note: Please only share contact details via PM.

I wanted to check in to see if anyone made progress on using an IRA funds to obtain a Portuguese Golden Visa. I have a SDIRA with check writing and an LLC, which I use to participate in private equity offerings. Iā€™m hoping I can leverage the infrastructure that I already set up. I would love to hear from the community what youā€™ve uncovered.

Hi Cynthia,

I recently learned about the Nomad Gate website while researching Portugalā€™s Golden Visa program. Like you, Iā€™m interested in using my SDIRA funds for the GV. Did you make any progress on whether this is doable from a US and PT perspective?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hi -
I did do a deep diveā€¦ to much to go into here but PM me and we can email or talk further

1 Like

Hi- I came across this thread when looking for this information, are you still willing to share what youā€™ve learned with another newbie?

FWIW, Citi told me they do not have any retail presence in PT. Only some commercial presence.

1 Like

Iā€™d encourage people to research the application process from the Portuguese side. Having retained lawyers in both the US (specializing in permitted investments for self-directed IRAs/Solo 401ks) and in Portugal (to assist in submitting applications for a ā€œGolden Visaā€) Iā€™ve found that the Portuguese bank account into which funds must be sent must be in the name of the applicant, or a corporation (Unipessoalā€¦ the equivalent of an LLC) that is wholly owned and controlled by the applicant. I have not found that my solo 401k entity can open a bank account in Portugal AND have that account be attributed to the applicant. But if you move money out of the self-directed IRA/solo 401k entity, you must take it as a distribution from the (tax advantaged) retirement account (and pay the penalty if you are below distribution-age.) If someone gets a legal opinion (from a Portuguese law firm) that contradicts this, Iā€™d love to see it!

So the entire thing is getting hung up on the name on the Portuguese bank account?

Joining this thread as Iā€™m interested in this path as well. Thanks all!

Bumping this up - any updates? Yes, I think the bank account name is the key thing. A custodian for a self directed IRA in the US will want the custodian name listed as the ā€œownerā€ of the account. You could just write a check from a so-called ā€œcheckbookā€ IRA or 401k, but if you write it to a bank account owned by you, it would definitely be a flag during an audit. That said, no audits likely given low staffing at the IRS!

It sounds like weā€™re in similar situations. I have a self-directed IRA with an investment LLC (I am the sole member). Could you please let me know what firm you retained in the US? Iā€™d like to get a memo documenting their view that this investment doesnā€™t run afoul of any IRA investment restrictions. Also, were you able to work through the Portuguese side of things? Iā€™d like to hear more about your experience to date.

1 Like

Lucas - we are using NSM in Lisbon for our GV process. No complaints. I know a lot of folks on this site either hate or love their lawyers. Regarding ERISA, There is a lawyer in Tulsa that I worked with for a decade on ERISA matters for the company in which I worked. He is brilliant, practical, and charges Tulsa rates, not NYC or SF rates. Martin Wing with Conner & Winters. Good luck!

1 Like

FWIW, in an effort to try to avoid the domestic LLC, I did some further investigation here. It looks like Goldstar doesnā€™t permit direct investment into international real estate, according to their FAQ: FAQs: Self-Directed IRAs - GoldStar Trust. It might work if you choose an investment fund, not real estate, however.