As somebody who’s been working with GV investors for 7 years, I find this thread fascinating. It’s highlighted the wide range of preferences when it comes to selecting an investment and also how confusing the market is for would-be investors.
I am a newly verified user here and I’ve been asked to provide useful information to the community.
I’m curious to understand more about the experience you’re all going through and hope to find ways to make it easier. With that in mind, if anyone is willing to share their ideas with me, I’d really like to hear your thoughts and opinions on the following:
- Funds vs real estate: How do you choose?
- How do you discover/connect with funds?
- How do you source and select your lawyers?
I get the sense that many people on this thread have doubts about the rules relating to the fund route and I’d like to understand why.
- What are your biggest doubts about the fund route in general?
- Apart from here, where do you go to seek clarity on those doubts?
In more specific terms;
- What are the top 5 things you look for in a fund?
- Which is more important to you; Capital Preservation or Capital Gains?
- What is the minimum annual distribution % you are considering?
- What sort of profit target are you hoping for upon exit?
- What do you consider to be a fair subscription fee?
- What do you consider to be a fair performance fee?
- How do you gain confidence in a fund/fund manager/advisor?
- What puts you off when speaking with fund managers/advisors?
- What is motivating so many of you to seek diversification between multiple funds? (I understand the benefits of diversification but it gives me the sense that investors don’t have enough confidence in a single fund)
It’s obvious to anyone who’s done even a little research that there are a lot of GV-eligible “VC funds” based around real estate. I can see in the thread that people have been questioning how they qualify and I’ve noticed that, fortunately, @Kevin33 and @jb4422 have already figured it out.
This leads me to my final questions…
- Do you consider real estate-based funds to be appealing and, if so, why?
- If not a real estate fund, which of the investment areas would be more appealing?
- Venture Capital for startups and, if so, in which sectors?
- Energy: renewable or non-renewable?
- Environmental investment projects
- Social investment projects
I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer these questions and look forward to learning more about your preferences and experiences. If anyone would prefer to do so privately, please feel free to send me an email via my profile.