Golden Visa Funds in Portugal - The BIG Questions

Ravi
Here is pasted email copy I received from Pearls of Portugal. Maybe it would interest you?

Are you tired of artificial packages for Golden Visa investors?

If you are looking for investments in real estate for your Golden Visa you know how many artificial packages are available out there. If you are like most of our clients and looking for a solid investment of your own that is the right list for you.

Donā€™t fall for a fool-bait investment. Contact us now for a consultation.

:white_check_mark: Qualified for Golden Visa
:white_check_mark: Still in time before the rules change
:white_check_mark: Negotiable prices for most of them
:white_check_mark: Great location with excellent returns
:white_check_mark: Ready to be purchased
:white_check_mark: Available for online viewings

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @madpoet

Iā€™m now seeing that liquidity issues and maybe even formal restrictions make the lock-in a real concern.

@jb4422

Ok thanks. Iā€™m going to look into it more closely for my own understanding.

@msheth & @sjswarts Thanks for your comments regarding the healthcare / medical insurance factor. Itā€™s an angle Iā€™d overlooked as a motivation for considering the Golden Visa for US-based investors.

@ravi

Whilst I agree that the funds might not be everyoneā€™s top investment choice in purely financial terms, I think we have to look at them in the wider context of Citizenship By Investment programs around the world and also within the various routes available for the Portuguese Golden Visa because, after all, thatā€™s the reason why most people are considering them. It seems that most of them have been designed with low to moderate risk levels and the projected returns are more or less on par with pure real estate investments which are, to a large extent, being taken off the table for the GV. If you were to invest the same amount of money in the US you may earn more but you wouldnā€™t have the Golden Visa and so I suppose it comes down to what you and other potential applicants prioritize.
I see you also cite the lock-in period as an issue which is really interesting to me and Iā€™m starting to understand this perspective more and more. Iā€™m curious to get your opinion on what you consider to be a fair portion of profits for fund managers if youā€™re willing to elaborate?

@Tariq_Tamea A lot of people donā€™t have much (or none) experience investing in a PE/VC fund. I think the management fees and performance fees for the fund are pretty normal. In the US, two and twenty structures are very common (2% management and 20% performance) The set up fee is different, but I look at it as a cost of doing business. For the lock in period, Itā€™s very common to see a PE/VC fund in the US having a lock in period of 8-12 years. To me, I consider 5 years to be almost too short for a true PE/VC fund.

I think you also just identified the main decision factor that we should look at this as Citizenship by Investment. The people who donā€™t go through with it see it as an investment tool that gives them citizenship whereas the people who go through with it think that they are buying citizenship (hopefully for not very much money.)

2 Likes

I would say you are projecting returns in the US based on very bullish markets. Itā€™s a little more complicated than that and I would have no expectation to earn 400k on a 350k investment over 6 years :wink: And using the publicly traded funds you are not locked in. I am not saying you should or shouldnā€™t do it, just that there are some ways around SOME of what you are talking about.

1 Like

@madpoet I respectfully disagree. Here is my calculation on earning that 400k. I put the total years as 7 because it would take so much time to get citizenship realistically.
image.

I really liked @anon16151502 idea and reach out to them. I think real estate makes more sense, because we can sell it. Especially if we are able to find some property with market rate. I would really love to hear about your ways around this issue.

Good luck getting 12% a year for the next 7 years. Can you? Sure. Will you? Iā€™d say odds are against it.

That said, you would face the same issue with real estate unless you think you are getting 12% a year there.

2 Likes

Comparing GV investment with investment in the US or elsewhere simply doesnā€™t make sense. Once you decide to apply for a GV, the only decision to be made is where to put your money so the only sensible thing to do is to compare VC fund with direct real estate investment in Portugal.

To me it absolutely makes sense to invest in a fund because it is cheaper, more practical, and because most of the disadvantages or risks apply equally to direct RE investment too:

Lock-in period: you need to keep your investment for at least seven years to qualify for citizenship no matter whether you invest in funds or RE.

Management Fee: if I want to make any rental income out of my property, I have to pay 20% to 30% to property management companies plus 28% income tax to the government. It would be very unlikely that I can get an annual yield of more than 3%, which is the annual distribution targeted by some funds.

Performance fee: I am absolutely convinced that all GV properties (especially in 350K category) are overpriced so there is little prospect for substantial capital gains. When transfer taxes and expenses and commissions (about 10% in total) are factored in, I am more worried about capital loss. So I prefer my money to be invested by some professionals even if they get 20% or even 50% of capital gains at the end.

Of course I donā€™t mean VC fund is the perfect choice. There is no perfect choice for Portuguese GV. But if you can live with some level of uncertainty, lack of control, and lack of transparency, fund investment is the less risky choice.

1 Like

Call me a pessimist but I donā€™t think that illiquid, small scale funds with high overhead costs and expenses, operating in an insular and sedentary economy, with all kinds of international tax complications and ongoing legal and banking fees, will be the best and brightest investment for an American investor when judged purely on financial merit. The attraction of a Portuguese golden visa is to obtain Portuguese residency and eventual citizenship, for a price, without incurring the obligation to live there full time. Honestly, if i could just pay ~$250K as a one-time fee and be done with it, sparing myself all of the tax complications, Iā€™d do exactly that. That amount of money certainly matters to me, but the compliance and paperwork burden is large for an American citizen, and I donā€™t like the anxiety about taxes and FATCA and unpredictable ROI. Along the same lines, Andrew Henderson recommends the flat fee option over the ā€œapproved real estate purchaseā€ option for Caribbean citizenships; itā€™s just simpler, and not even more costly in the big picture.

If someone is trying to decide whether to get a Portuguese golden visa, or not, based on whether a golden visa fund is a better investment than staying in the United States and investing in IVV or ARK in a Schwab account, I think thatā€™ll easily favor staying in the USA. For me, this is not a financial investment, it is a $500K fee I am paying to obtain citizenship in a peaceful foreign country with friendly people, great scenery, good food, and nice weather, and I may get a large rebate in six or seven years if I am lucky. A functioning, affordable healthcare system and lower cost of living are bonuses.

4 Likes

I like to look at it this way. Getting ā‚¬350k after 7 years is not capital preservation. Itā€™s a loss of substantial capital. How much of loss it is depends on what kind of alternate investment vehicles you have access to. This is variable and I think leads to a lot of confusion.

Many people donā€™t take into account the time value of money, which I think the fund companies and real estate dealers are trying to take advantage of. When I talk to fund companies, they tell me that they want to preserve my capital, and I know well that they are aware of Time Value of Money, and know Iā€™m losing my capital if they return ā‚¬350k + little interest

I prefer the investment to be liquid at least a bit because what happens in case I decided to abandon GV? Now Iā€™m stuck with a risky investment, which I have no control over. I think that in real estate, at least we own a piece of real estate which we are allowed to sell if we decided that GV is not for me after 2 years. But there is no such recourse for funds.

We become entirely dependent on fund managers to find us someone who will buy it. They donā€™t have time to do it and are not setup for it. Significant loss is the best case scenario and funds immobilized is the worst case in this scenario.

ā€œMyā€ big question is ā€œIs losing 400k is worth it for a chance at citizenshipā€. I still havenā€™t got an answer here. Like @nevadaandonward said for him it the answer is $500k fee is worth it. But I havenā€™t come to the conclusion yet.

1 Like

So Iā€™m going to echo @wkb here. The real issue is that these are PE funds. You canā€™t judge a PE fund like you do stocks or bonds or other investments. You have to judge them for what they are.

The terms you see on these PE funds are little different than similar PE funds you find in the US that accredited investors invest in. Clearly they find perfectly good financial reasons to pay 2/20 and lock their capital up for 5-7 years with seeming small time players. Just as many people do not and prefer to invest in ETFs or mutual funds or trade individual shares.

@ravi, I donā€™t think these funds are - for the most part - attempting to take advantage of anyone. (I have seen a few stupid ones; thereā€™ll always be a few.) I think @Tariq_Tamea will find that many, many GV investors are looking for preservation of capital defined as ā€œdoes not go below EUR 350kā€ even if that means ā€œloses money after inflationā€, and they are attempting to provide what the market wants. Folks buy bond funds too even though theyā€™re ā€œlosersā€ because they suit their investment goals. This is all about your investing philosophy and beliefs. You assume a rate of return of 12% as your benchmark and that drives your choices. @madpoet and I disagree with that and as a result will make different choices. All good.

I think @nevadaandonward has a reasonable perspective on this - .pt is JUST this side of an emerging market. The expected returns and standards are just different, and using US benchmarks is just asking for pain and suffering, just as expecting US levels of efficiency in .pt is a recipe for sorrow and anguish. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I see another red flag with these funds. Some members have compared the fee structure US PE funds to GV funds. I think its not an apple to apple comparison. PE in US is geared towards wealth creation for participants. The GV PEs are donā€™t have the same goal as US PEs. I see some conflict of interest.

I havenā€™t invested in PE before, but I guess US PE investors are savvy. If they are not, they could just invest in index funds. Which I would assume is not the case with GV PEs. I would assume many are in the same boat as me.

A better comparison would be for PEs that are held by both GV and local investors. Do we have any fund like that? Is that data freely available?

In some ways you are correct, though not entirely.

The point of comparing cost structures is to highlight that the fund managers roughly are facing the same costs either side of the pond - salaries, research subscriptions, T&E, other overhead - and it does scale with size. A lot of research goes into PE - the average fund has to evaluate 10-30 possible deals and do due diligence for each actual investment and thatā€™s a lot of legwork and time. Index funds are cheaper because they donā€™t have to pay all that overhead - a couple of people can subscribe to the index component data and set up a prime brokerage account and off you go, with outsourced compliance and accounting and everything else, and the rest is marketing.

If that cost structure seems unfriendly, itā€™s because of the background you are coming from.

Yes the goals of some of the funds are different in that they are meant to provide a vehicle specifically to meet the needs and desires of the GV investor, but thatā€™s just funds attempting to meet the market need. Even one or two of the big players who are primarily PE/VC types are making real estate funds with wealth preservation as a goal, presumably because thatā€™s what they perceive as what the market wants based on their market research.

Several of the available funds are held by both GV and local. Iā€™ve highlighted some of this in the fund comparison thread. Indeed, some merely are just making GV-class shares and saying ā€œthese will meet eligibility requirementsā€ without making any significant effort to market to GV.

All of this - funds as an asset class for GV - is effectively brand new as of 2019, and is being developed on the fly. Some funds were first to market, and are structured as guesses based on what some fund managers thought the market wants. There are more funds being created now, with different goals. The marketplace is developing. Of course itā€™s going to be imperfect, and lacking products that are a good fit for every taste. As discussed originally, there isnā€™t even a great way to learn about whatā€™s even available, which is a huge market lack. It does suck. The risks are high. Hell, even the government is still attempting to fine-tune the rules and isnā€™t necessarily happy with whatā€™s happening, but legislation is a pretty blunt sword.

I would point out that the whole investing in Portugal thing is a risk. Itā€™s an emerging market. If it were less of a risk, thereā€™d be a heck of a lot more capital available, no? Of course youā€™d like some diversified index fund that returns 10% - but there arenā€™t that many public companies in Portugal to even have several well-diversified baskets, much less any of the other attributes the average investor would want. Indeed, one could argue that the entire point of the GV programme from the .pt.gov perspecitve is not wealth creation for your benefit, itā€™s improving the .pt economy through the injection of capital. If you happen to make money, thatā€™s a side benefit. .pt.gov is providing a carrot, some reason for people to take the higher risk and potential losses. You canā€™t make that risk just go away. I might agree that the risk is not always clear to many investors and some are taking more of a risk than they realizeā€¦ but thatā€™s the nature of investing generally, isnā€™t it?

Another point along the same line: there arenā€™t a ton of purely PE/VC funds in Portugal for the simple reason that there arenā€™t that many opportunities . Thereā€™s maybe what, $1bn in actual PE funds (investing in companies, not real estate), total? @nisbynator9 might have a better number than I do. Thatā€™s really not that much. In a conversation with one of the PE managers, he basically admitted that thereā€™s only about so many PE opportunities to be had in .pt and thereā€™s a risk of there being so much available capital as a result of the true-PE funds (like Explorer and Oxy and C2 and PV) gathering true-PE money from GV that it distorts the market. The average fund size is EUR75mm and theyā€™re doing deals in the EUR1-10mm range, and the average fund seems to target around 7-15 deals total. There isnā€™t a ton of diversification to be had here. The list of investors in these funds can generally be printed on a single sheet of paper. And as far as the real estate market goes, consider how few GVs have been issued generally (what, 10,000?) and that little inflow - about EUR5bn total as of Jan 2020 over 7 years - has already distorted the Portuguese real estate market enough that thereā€™s significant complaining across the country.

I might suggest youā€™re asking an awful lot given the actual situation on the ground. And it really isnā€™t for everyone. These are not fantastic investments. They canā€™t be because the market canā€™t support it.

So maybe yeahā€¦ though I am trying to say how this is how things are, youā€™re right in that there are - and should be!! - a ton more red flags around it all generally. Of course convincing the people in the GV business to do that is another matter entirely. @Tariq_Tamea thatā€™s something to chew on.

To loop that back aroundā€¦ maybe the thing youā€™re missing about the focus on capital preservation in terms of absolute dollar figures for the funds is a reaction to peopleā€™s concerns that they are sinking their money into an emerging market and theyā€™re not so concerned about the opportunity cost as the genuine, well-founded concern that they might well lose their entire investment. Look how many people are completely scared by Mercan, which is a Canadian company doing nothing more than building a hotel. Those fears are completely justified. Private equity? Good Lord, thereā€™s a reason SEC puts a ton of rules around it in the US.

And no, PE data is not freely available almost by definition because weā€™re talking about private equity deals. You can find some data published by firms like pitchbook and crunchbase but thatā€™s all payware, and letā€™s face it, a $50mm fund buying out Bobā€™s Fishing And Canning in Porto for $10mm is just not something thatā€™s going to attract a lot of attention outside the local Porto newspaper.

I think before you get too much farther on this journey, it may behoove you to really go answer that question about how much that visa is worth to you, as @msheth did.

3 Likes

Yeah we ( my wife and I ) had the same discussion recently. We are taking a huge risk with a significant amount of money but we want to take this risk to have this future optionality and the due diligence is all about choosing the least bad option. We do that, cross our fingers and sit for 7-8 years. I was initially very excited to see some mutual funds for GV purposes on the main thread but then realized that the mutual fund or the PSI20 itself are not diversified at all. This has been a really interesting journey ā€¦ mind you Portugal is ~ ranked # 47 by GDP in the world ( List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia ) so yes absolutely be very wary and think hard on why you want to do this because there just isnā€™t that much opportunity. We as investors are very likely to be coming from economies that are much larger than Portugal so there is a bit of reconciliation to be done in our heads with regards to expectations.

1 Like

Ravi, thatā€™s my exact logic for going this route. The opportunity cost of 5 years in Europe is greater for me than the Golden Visa costs + risks in my view.

2 Likes

@ravi I am struggling with he same question and have no suitable answers as yet on this. $500K is huge investment to buy PT/EU citizenship. But how does one quantify that risk?

My health insurance issues arenā€™t resolved necessarily with GV residency. Cause I will be a US Citizen and a PT resident after 5 years.
**If I make US my primary residence, I am faced with paying huge insurance premiums. Estimated at $280K for 10 years.
**If I make PT my permanent residence, I am faced with private insurance premiums of $3600 ($36K for 10 years) for 2 people but it ONLY works within PT. If I travel outside PT to US or India or any other Schengen country or Asia or AUS/NZ, then PT private insurance will cover me for ā€œtravel and accident insuranceā€ for up to 60 days and I have to return to PT for a few days before I can travel back out of PT for another 60 days. This is capped at 3 trips for 6o days each per year.

In my personal case, we would have to buy international HEALTH insurance (not travel insurance) that allows me access between all countries of the world (Iā€™d mainly use in US, PT and India) as we would split our time between 3 countries in any given year. That costs $1350/month for two people ($162K for 10 years).

So $280K (if I stay in US) OR $162K (if I spend time between US, PT and India and other countries across the globe) just for health insurance . Versus $500K for GV residency + EU passport and still have to buy one of above two insurance options. No to mention risk on invested portion of $420K out of $500K cash outflow. YIKES!

1 Like

Manish
I fear you are attempting to quantify that which is not quantifiable. With residency or CBI programs you are paying for the convenience of the program and certainly a big part of this is you supporting the countryā€™s economy in exchange for some benefit. As an example, many people attempt to justify flying business class over economy class but in the end you are choosing to choose to pay more for convenience with no other justifiable benefit compared to other available options.

In the case of residency, why not just wait until you are ready to live in EU country and you can get residency in most or all by living there 5+ years? The cost is very nominal in this case. No need to ā€œflyā€ business class and pay the extra money.

1 Like

I was looking at globalrescue.com as a possible solution when traveling outside of Portugal. Not sure if it meets your needs, but it is cheaper than international health insurance.

@msheth I have the same plans as you for travel to India. But I though Portugal provides free health insurance. I didnā€™t know you have to buy private insurance in Portugal too.

I have used globalrescue in the past. It is travel insurance which is for vacation trips to other countries. It is NOT international healthcare insurance.
In travel insurance only emergencies are covered in the country you happen to be in. MediVac is additional costs or premiums are higher.
International Health insurance is relatively more expensive (especially when US is covered) since it covers routine doctor visists, annual wellness, specialists, etc. Works same way as your employer subsidized health insurance, except that you have global coverage in any country for unlimited amount (no cap).

Agreed to some extent. But I am ā€œrationalizingā€ as opposed to pure ā€œquantifyingā€. One has to look at things from IQ and not just from EQ. Nothing wrong in trying the get the least expensive business class ticketā€¦or resort to roach coach if affordability is of concern. Additionally, it the plane goes down, no one in either class will survive. :slight_smile: So itā€™s important to choose a reputable airline.