Can we put any pressure on SEF for the biometric appointment delays?

Thanks Lourenço & Max! Essentially the same article in different languages. The 3 months from application to a decision on pre-approval is required under law. The Court was also unusually rapid: litigation initiated in April, decision in July. As the lawyer points out, although pertaining to a single case, the precedent can be used to the advantage of other GV applicants. The lawyer (with experience in Brazil & Portugal) will probably be very popular now!

There are also 2 relevant happenings - (i) a modification to the law on immigration: Parliament approves amendments to the "Law on Foreign Nationals" - XXIII Government - Portuguese Republic; and (ii) the creation of a Task Force to Facilitate Visas («Grupo de coordenação e acompanhamento para a agilização dos vistos ) reported in English on IAS Portugal creates a Task Force to optimize the granting of Visas. But for those who want the full report it is here in Portuguese: https://files.dre.pt/2s/2022/08/148000000/0004500046.pdf

Whether and how quickly the Court ruling, immigration law and Task Force will impact on SEF processes remains to be seen…

1 Like

I have been calling for a class action suit for a while. Yes, I am seriously interested. Sorry for my ignorance. Does class action suit exist in Portugal?

1 Like

I can join you as well

1 Like

I’m making this into a separate thread.

17 months since pre-approval for me and no end in sight.
Then more months after the biometric appointment to get the card and only then, start the 5 year time clock.

I’ll be 75 in less than a month. I hope I live long enough.

4 Likes

I don’t understand this. It is a simple database query to identify any applicants who have been waiting the longest. Why not identify those people waiting so long and deal with them forthwith. It become manifest unfairness that some people get their cards issued 3-4 months after pre-approval, and some people wait 3 years.

6 Likes

Ah, you too are volunteering for their database and web site re-wamp?.. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did anyone attend the scheduled protest in Lisbon AIMA HQ?
If I were there I would have gone, but alas…

Immigrants will protest on 18 April at 10 am at AIMA’s headquarters office (old SEF) in Lisbon, regarding the delay in getting their residence card.

Immigrants Protest at AIMA - YouTube

Objectively, the situation has become much worse since AIMA took over for SEF.

Key demands for ARI/D2:

-Complete Pre-approvals in 6 months or less
-Schedule biometric appointment promptly after preapproval but in no event later than 3 months from pre-approval.
-Issue cards within 3 months after biometrics.

-Restore the automatic residence permit renewal system

2 Likes

Says “Supported by Portugal Immigration News” at the bottom of his poster, so I’m guessing that’s this protest:

Not sure if they got any coverage from the big news outlets. I did find this and this on some minor sites.

Here is another article on the subject.

https://www.portugalresident.com/indignation-in-lisbon-over-delays-in-getting-residency-certificates/

According to the article: “According to the complaints, there are cases that have been left ‘waiting’ for more than nine months.”

Me: Nine months? Hold my beer.

Still no bio slots ?? Last ones opened end Jan… now they blame IT system…