Class action lawsuit?

Possibly interested yes

I came to this forum to find any existing class action against SEF. In my case, my husband and I are part of a narrow segment of GV applicants stuck in limbo - Russian nationals (even though living in the USA), whose applications are not being processed by Portuguese government period end of story, despite satisfying all the requirement and making an investment. This is more than frustrating.

Should there be any progress with the class action, I’m in!

4 Likes

Can you talk more at which stage are you? Have you received pre-approval? What’s the overall timeline?

1 Like

No pre-approval, no biometrics scheduled.
Current stage: case submitted to SEF in November 2021, waiting for any progress to be made.

2 Likes

Hi. I have just started my GV process. Sent the investment and my application is in (pending approval of course). My lawyers told me that from here to the biometrics, it would be about a year and a half wait. It’s just that backed up. A quick google showed me that some ppl who sued the SEF got their approval from it, but that was 18 out of 60, with the others being rejected. And they had waiting about that long already.

Is the ~18 months not “part of the process” for you? We were told it upfront. Now we are just patiently waiting. But if there is a way to speed that up, I am VERY interested.

If I am missing anything, please let me know.I am brand new to this world, happy to be here!

I think a year and a half is a little optimistic, but we’ll see

When you do do biometrics be sure to check which sef office is the fastest at the time and book there. It probably won’t be Lisbon

Thanks Garrett - where do you find a list of the SEF offices, with the wait times?

Go to the nomadgate homepage, and in the top right there’s a golden visa timeline database. Or check the thread here where everyone waiting for final approval (after biometrics) is waiting

I remember that in some thread, someone talked about how much it cost for an individual to sue SEF to speed things along. I’ve tried to search for that, but have been out of luck in finding it. Does anyone remember how much that was?

Depends on the lawyer but it should be 5k or less

1 Like

The request for urgency regarding our lawsuit was rejected by a judge…because we do not live in PT, which we cant legally do without our visa.

Anyway, our lawyer claims this was just bad luck with the random judge selection process. They say many of their other clients have been successful with other judges.

So now we are filing an injunction which will hopefully result in a more amenable judge and judgement, but I am not optimistic.

1 Like

This thread gives some costs: Share status of lawsuit against SEF.

1 Like

How long did it take to get this judgement from the day you filed the case?

Thanks everyone for the links and information! Looking at the time for the court to look at the case, I’m not sure it makes sense for us at this point, but it is just so hard to know!!

3 months or so

1 Like

Instead of a class action suit, maybe submit a case to the Ombudsman. This is for quite serious complaints about public administration, which the whole Golden Visa fiasco certainly is.

https://www.provedor-jus.pt/en/who-we-are/faq/file-a-complaint/

1 Like