Considering to give up the GV application and get my money back

That is one way to get over your fears, to stare them in the face and drive through them. Not all of us are going to be brave enough to do that. :slight_smile:

If I were starting now, knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t do it. It isn’t worth the wait and bother that people are clearly suffering now. There are other options that would meet my requirements. It might be worth it for some others, of course; personal requirements vary.

Do I have regrets now, am I going to back out? No, not really. I started earlier and had a few good breaks and managed to miss just about all the kerfuffle, so my experience has been basically fine. But that isn’t an option for anyone starting new.

What I would ask myself:

• do I know what my actual goal is in going through this process? is it well-defined, or is it based on a vague and fuzzy desire? I don’t even mean “EU citizenship” but “what am I trying to achieve by pursuing RBI/CBI”?
  • have I reviewed all options that get me to that goal? am I pursuing the right option?
  • how badly do I want the end result? how much of a risk am I willing to take to get it, really?
  • do I really understand all of the risks and costs? All the information you need is here at NG of course, but you have to dig for it in a huge, huge pile.

(Really, what might be useful here is pinned threads added to the PT GV Guide page. There are a few threads here that contain the bulk of the useful info around the topic of fund selection, fund risks, PFIC and taxes, citizenship, paperwork, etc. Several of us have dumped a lot of time and thought into posts in those threads and while the details may change, the core principles don’t. )

If you have this part down, then I think it’s easier to take tommigun’s advice and walk into the fray.

5 Likes