Golden Visa residency

If i buy property to qualify for the Golden Visa program, am i able to live in that property for up to 183 days without becoming resident in Portugal for tax purposes? Perhaps another way to pose the question: as a Golden Visa holder, am i subject to the 90/180 rule?

You can live as long as you want in Portugal…but yes, you are subject to the 90/180 rule in the rest of the Schengen countries…

Thank you for your reply Alison. I understand that it is a residency visa, but my question pertained specifically to tax residency. If I live there for more than 183 days i become resident for tax purposes. My question specifically was whether if I live in the property I bought under the GV program for more than 90 days but less than 183 days consecutively, will the authorities deem me to be resident for tax purposes? Kind regards,


Golden visa is a temporary resident permit. You can live in Portugal for more than 90 days. You will be considered a tax resident there only when you live in Portugal for 183 days or more in a year.

Thanks again for your response ali

Thanks again for your response Alison. So to be perfectly clear, there is no criterion for establishing tax residency other than 183 days? There is nothing about living in a home that you have purchased?


I believe it is more complicated than simply a 183 day test. There are other affirmative steps you can take to become a tax resident in a country. Buying a home, by itself, should not subject you to tax residency but it is not plausible that you would buy a home in a country and have no other contacts or financial arrangements with that country, no?

Thanks so much for your response. Living in the home would do things that, of course, start to make me look like I’m tax resident: having a bank account, a tax number to get it, a utilities account, a mortgage etc. But the basic point here is that I wish to live there for up to 183 days and NOT be deemed tax resident. I guess I’m just wondering if that’s possible,


I don’t know the answer but I wanted to point out that there are probably some other factors. For example, i think Its obvious that if you apply for NHR status you would become tax resident even if you are there less than 183 days.

True, but I’m not at all interested in NHR.

In other words, it’s complicated and you probably need to discuss the situation with an accountant or tax lawyer if you’re going to push the line.

hey thanks jeff