HOW-TO: GV Automatic Online Renewal Procedure (Jan 2023→)

Unfortunately, as is all too common with organizational changes, the new leadership forgets the lessons learned from past experience. How soon they forget that allowing a limited number of appointments for scheduling can lead to “mafia” controlling and selling these appointment slots to the most vulnerable people. (“mafia” being the government’s words not mine). This was the reason they moved away from such a system but now we have it back again. God help us all.

There is no problems to organize online scheduling in normal way. Create electronic queues and take inro account permit expiration. Use NIF or permit number for assigned slot. For new application use passport number. Not transferrable appointments. If somebody cancels the slot is shown to the first in the queue. Anti-bot system. And there will be no mafia reselling slots.
They just do not want to do it right or don’t know how to do it or most likely do not care.

My lawyer suggested yesterday that automatic renewal is likely to go away.

Having to deal with this process every N years makes me want to die (but not in Portugal, the funeral would take forever to book.)

1 Like

Well, it is what everybody reckons after first glance to changes happened on Oct 29.
Worse, there is some replacement for online renewals via IRN, and people with other permits ending in 4q 23 and 1q 24 were happily grabbing IRN slots in November, December and January (which are exhausted by the end of the day of Oct 29th).
But of course, we are not allowed to use this system. Us and victims of human trafficking.
There are some rumors that may be just may be automatic renewals via old system will be opened just one more time, but I guess it is just wishful thinking.
I am not at all happy to say “I’ve told you so!”

Has anyone heard from their Lawyers, etc. about the GV Renewals process/appointments for those of us in the Oct-Dec 2023 renewal window? Mine tell me they are “waiting to hear”?

Automatic online renewals for ARI cards expiring in Q4 are now enabled.

I’m as surprised as you are.

5 Likes

What’s the damage? Is it new fees, new fees less 25% online discount, or old fees?

It was around 3500€.

1 Like

Thx… The renewal fee increased in March to €2,906.62. The 13th October Portaria then raised that to €3,865.79, but mentions a 25% discount for “requests submitted via digital channel”, which would make it €2,899.34.

Thanks for the heads up. My brother has registered but not received the confirmation email so he’s currently stuck (not in spam too). Any idea what’s the solution to this issue?

I’ve just tried a couple of times on the sef.pt site (I expire in late DEC) and the auto renewals page keeps telling me: Your status doesn’t meet the legal requirements for using the “auto-renewal” feature.

Do I keep trying? Anyone else run into this and eventually get through (e.g., those of you in the Q3 tranche)?

Your problem is exactly the same as was posted here in August: HOW-TO: GV Automatic Online Renewal Procedure (Jan 2023→) - #84 by RichardGV
Can you check that you used the cortrect portal: Registo.
Dont go to the ARI portal. It is the wrong one for renewals.

I understand, and I am a registered user on sef.pt (NOT the ARI portal). I can also log into my “personal area”. and it shows my name in the upper right. I’m just saying that when I click on renewals I get the message that “I don’t meet the legal requirements.”. I assume I just need to keep trying.

Thanks for confirming that you are at the correct site. One problem may be that you find yourself as a registered user. I vaguely remember that people succeeded when they registered with a completely new email (ie not a previous one). Perhaps try that?

I can confirm that I have also just been able to apply for the renewal of my ARI card, which expired on October 12th. Cost for renewal: 3479€

3 Likes

I tried this but it wouldn’t let me register with a new email. Any idea? No confirmation email sent on the first account…

Oh, I get it now. The bill is presumably:

Analysis fee for renewal: €773.74
Renewal fee: €3,865.79
Total: €4,639.53
less 25% discount for online renewal: (€1,159.88)
Net amount to pay: €3,479.65

Before the fee increases this would have been

Analysis fee for renewal: €581.76
Renewal fee: €2,906.62
Total: €3,488.38

So it works out €9 cheaper than before the fee increase, because of the new online discount. I’d forgotten they charged the analysis fee again at each renewal.

6 Likes

Get rid of cookies, or try on a different computer with a new email?

This is a pleasant surprise and great news.

Sometimes we focus on the negatives but it is good to see there are positives in this journey.

4 Likes

Yeah, they don’t wanna refund 9 Euros which was charged before, maybe that’s the reason Prime Minister of Portugal resigned

3 Likes