HOWTO: SEF Account setup to allow your lawyer AND you to access the account

If your application is not yet submitted, you should be able to freely edit anything and upload or delete documents. Once it is submitted then it gets locked (obviously) in the “Em análise” status until such time you have it pre-approved by SEF or rejected back to the non-submitted state for you to correct or add some missing stuff.

Thanks for the responses! My application hasn’t been submitted yet. There was a small typo in my address that I tried to fix, but kept getting an error when I hit the computer disk save icon. Not sure what I was doing wrong but I eventually had my lawyer do it instead. Glad to know it’s user error in case I decide to be crazy enough to one day join the crazy search for a biometrics appointment slot.

Very clear, thank you for the information.has anyone tried to register this year? I was just trying to register,but it asks me to choose the investment option and when I click, it says the investment option is under review and hence does not allow me to go to the next step.

1 Like

My lawyers combined all of their client into one SEF account and so will not share access (to my complete annoyance).
Can anything be done to separate my login from the rest so I can monitor status?
Putting all clients into a master account saves the lawyers time but prevents client access. I suggest this might have been done on purpose. Cynical? Yes, but likely true.

1 Like

As far as i understood it is standard practice for lawyers. Same thing happened to me. If you need to have your parallel access, you need to setup up personal one first and then add your lawyer email address.
For me it was too late to realise this, but i am ok with it.

2 Likes

A follow-up question to these step:, do I need to create an account for each applicant separately, including for minors (who don’t have email addresses of their own at the moment!).

No. You apply for your family under your own main account on the SEF portal.

2 Likes

I’m not an expert but I believe standard procedure is to make one account, then add dependents (kids, spouse, etc)

That is correct. On SEF, there is one account for the applicant and the family members are under that account.

My lawyer’s come back with the same response - he’s using his own company address for registering his clients, so the above cannot be done. Just seeking clarification again - can I tell him that I can setup my own account and link it his account?

Yes, not only can but you should.
Please refer to the very first post in this thread by @jjmz

2 Likes

I wish I had know about this before our lawyer submitted our application. Seems too late to get access now!

1 Like

If your application is not submitted yet, you don’t have to tell him anything… You just setup your account and put his “company email address” that he using for his login as your legal representative - more details in the first post in this thread.

For those who already have a lawyer who submitted their application, it is still possible to add your information to the portal.

1 Like

Do tell! I would love to have access but do not want to screw anything up for our existing application.

1 Like

I need to look back at my old emails as it has been awhile. Its not possible for you to do it, your lawyer would need to do it.

What you need to do is contact your lawyer and advise them that you want your email on the ari portal to login yourself

They will tell you it’s impossible
They will tell you that it will violate confidentiality
They will make other excuses …

It’s not true
The ari portal is designed to have your address as applicant and their address as lawyer.

Because they didn’t do it correctly at first, now they need to secure an appointment with sef to change the details.

Tell them which email you want them to use or they will make up a gmail address for you which they won’t provide you the gmail password.

Games, games, games …

2 Likes

I think I will spend my precious SEF appointments on the big stuff…

1 Like

So another 2 year wait? :joy:

1 Like

Hey, my lawyer still refuses to try giving me access to ARO portal, and when I ask to look at my account, she gave me this screenshot which is very different than why I saw people shared here:

Has anyone seen similar things? My lawyer said this is what it looks like under their lawfirm’s SEF account.