HOWTO: SEF Account setup to allow your lawyer AND you to access the account

I was able to get access by entering my email and then “reset password” which then sent me a password and I obtained access. This is notwithstanding my lawyer saying they could not give me access because they put all clients under the same email, which was obviously BS.

1 Like

My lawyer registered my account using their lawfirm email so I don’t even have the email, which is ridiculous. Have you seen something similar in your account like the picture I posted above? I’m trying to tell if it is actually from the SEF system or is it just the law firm’s spreadsheet…

I don’t see that on any screens. I went to this link: Autenticação
From there I entered my own email address and forget password, and then it emailed me and allowed me to log in. When I’m in my application, I can see my lawyer’s email address listed as the legal representattive.

2 Likes

However, that green arrow is something you see inside the SEF system. However, I don’t see anything with that exact layout in my account.

1 Like

Thank you so much for checking !

Sounds like you already had an account. For some of us, our law firms actually do use the same email for everyone, unfortunately.

Interesting. I certainly didn’t set it up myself as I didn’t know anything about the process before reading all of these posts. So perhaps my lawyer just sets things up differently.

Yes, the font, colors and the green arrow look like the SEF ARI portal style.

1 Like

That’s some relief to me, thank you!

I have a theory. We all have our own accounts set up by the lawyers, who hide the secrets from us or do not know it themselves. Some lawyers use our real email addresses to set up the account. That is why @goner00brained can get access to SEF portal easily. However, some other lawyers are more cunning. They create and use fake email addresses to set up our own account but do not tell us the emails/password. I was led to think this way because of the discussions of @Garbonzo above. Could you elaborate? I have a little bit evidence to back up my theory. I found out that the personal email in my SEF account (which was input by my lawyer) is NOT my email. Is it possible that I created it long time ago but forgot? Maybe, but highly unlikely.

1 Like

Has anyone used the steps detailed above to look at a submission created by a lawyer?

Yes, many of us have, including myself. I created my account myself and asked my lawyer to use it to submit my application. I can access my account and check the application status anytime.

Thank you! Does the lawyer also get notifications simultaneously or do you have to forward them to the lawyer? Also, I just want to confirm that I have to set up an account first before the lawyer submits application? I cannot do it afterwards??

It will probably be harder to get your lawyer to futz with account settings after the fact. I gave up on that idea pretty quickly…

1 Like

Yes, it is true. I found that my lawyers created email in format of [myname]+[firmname]@gmail.com and they used this to register on the SEF website. There is no rational reason to do this except if someone wanted to keep control and hide information from me. Considering I am paying them this was an unacceptable lack of transparency. There are ways around this, but its best to follow the advice above and create a SEF account with your email from the beginning. Also, I would recommend when choosing a lawyer have a conversation and put into writing that they will provide full transparency in all aspects of their representation of you and additionally to copy you on every email communication regarding your case, even in Portuguese language.

Thank you. Mystery solved.