The date entries are (in order):
A. Application submission
B. Application fee payment
C. Pre-approval
D. Biometrics opened
E. Biometrics appointment
F. Final Approval
G. Card Received

What I showed above is the analysis between Steps A and C (had to skip Step B as it was recently introduced and very few users have filled this detail).
Are you and @Onward asking for the analysis between Steps D and E by location?

E&F - the wait you do after the appt

@garrett is right. I thought it was the full timeline to approval.
Before 2022, the timeline to pre-approval was predictable, up to 3 months. Those days are gone. Everything after mid 2022 (times to C, E and F became difficult) and we helped each other to understand how long the wait was - depending on where the biometrics occurred.

Very interesting, thanks!

I was initally interested to see the data between A (Application submission) and C (Pre-approval) because I am personally stuck at this stage :slightly_smiling_face:. But as I said, the same representation can be made between any 2 steps as long as we have enough data.

Key points to note before showing the analysis between E (Biometrics appointment) & F (Final Approval):
I am only showing the applications that already reached the final approval stage. I have deliberately excluded the ones that are still pending as there are plenty of data entries that are not being updated regularly which might mislead us: Only 19 primary applicants data entries meet the criteria

1. Final Approval queue status (in # of primary applications):

2. Average delays variation for primary applicants (in days) between biometrics appointment submission to final approval:

1 Like

Is there any way to interpret from the data how many applications submitted in December 2021 are till waiting for pre-approval? Either the number or proportion of the monthā€™s applications still to be approved.
Thanks

Since this only accounts for users of this forum, not really. At best (imo) it tells us which month/year SEF is up to, applications-wise.

While not a chart you can definitely see that information in the Grid view organized by biometrics locations:

You can also click the little arrow to see other stats, like medians and standard deviations.

If you use the filter function you can drill down to see for example only applications submitted or that had their biometrics appointments during a specific date range.

2 Likes

Would it be helpful to give users a way to flag entries that have obvious errors so they can be scrubbed from the sample? ie ā€œPre-Approval dateā€ is 1+ years BEFORE ā€œApplication Fees Paidā€? Or even better have the data validated before it can enter the spreadsheet? ie Application Fees Paid date must be AFTER Pre-Approval Date? Just suggestions. I really love this database as it gives me a much better idea of what is happening out there!

2 Likes

Thomas - this is great! My total timeline from application to card issuance was 721 days. I note the average for all of those fields so far is also 721 days. Interestingly, while my application to pre-approval was pretty short (64), my time to biometrics was 'way above average (401). All in all, though, essentially a 2-year process (when we expected 6-9 months).

@smh Iā€™ve added in date validation to the form now. If anyone spots any bugs or problematic edge cases please let me know so I can fix it! :grinning:

3 Likes

Love this Thomas.
I would recommend a feature for ā€œreportingā€ data entry errors from within the record, so both the creator and admin can get notified, as I see some records may have data entry errors. For e.g. application date is AFTER the pre-approval date. A data validation on the form can also be used to prevent this.

Thanks

Definitely agree that we need to avoid accidentally getting bad data into the database, @consultant2b!

I added date validation to the form yesterday, and while I had cleaned up bad entries in the past a few more had snuck in before I added the form validation. Iā€™ve fixed those where it was obvious what the mistake was or messaged those where it wasnā€™t while hiding the record until itā€™s updated again.

If you still spot any with clear issues, feel free to DM me and Iā€™ll take a look.

Iā€™ve made a few more improvements worth mentioning:

1. You can now copy/duplicate timelines :scissors:

Iā€™ve added a new Copy button that pre-fill a new timeline entry with the same data as the entry youā€™re copying:

It makes it much faster to add family members that have similar or identical timelines!

2. The delete button now does what youā€™d expect it to do :wastebasket:

The Delete button isnā€™t new, however earlier it just drafted an email asking me to manually delete the entry.

Now, if you click the button, it instantly deletes the entryā€¦

3. You can restore a recently deleted timeline :mending_heart:

ā€¦which may sound dangerous. But while accidents happen, Iā€™ve also added the option to restore an application in case you accidentally delete it:

4. Additional form validation making sure you donā€™t enter incorrect dates :date:

In addition to checks that control whether dates are entered in the correct orderā€¦

ā€¦Iā€™ve added helpful calculations after major milestones to help you judge whether you accidentally entered incorrect dates:

Hopefully these improvements will contribute to more timelines added, containing more accurate data :crossed_fingers:

As usual, if you spot any errors, bugs, or have any other feedback, please let me know! :pray:

5 Likes

I got some feedback in private that it was a bit hard to find your own entries in the public database, so Iā€™ve added an auto-generated ā€œpublic IDā€ for each family. Youā€™ll find it below your timelines on your personal dashboard:

You can use it to search for your own entries in the Airtable views.

The button you see below the public ID links to a version of the main view with a filter applied so it only shows your familyā€™s timelines. It could perhaps come in handy if you want to share your timeline(s) with others.

Hereā€™s an example link showing the timelines of the person with the public ID well-off-collaboration.

I hope this feature will prove helpful for someā€¦

And Iā€™ll finish up with a question:

Would you like to be able to opt-in to use your NG username as your public ID instead?

That way other community members can also recognize your timelines and reach out to you directly if they have any questions?

A: Yes!

Q: Would you like to be able to opt-in to use your NG username as your public ID instead?

3 Likes

Okay, Iā€™ve added the feature now. You can switch to using your username with one click:

Youā€™ll also notice that thereā€™s a button to generate a new random ID, which does exactly what youā€™d expect.

Go ahead and give it a try! And as usual, please report any bugs you may run into!

ā€œCould not find what you are looking for(NOT_FOUND)[Http code 404]ā€

When clicking the Use my username button?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve fixed the issue nowā€¦ Thanks for the bug report!

1 Like