Lost Card - Residency card

Good day all,
What happens if I lose my card? Can I get a new one printed?

Thanks

The SEF advice is here: https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/renovar-residencia/art73/.
In the case of loss or theft, a copy of the complaint filed with the police is required. It is apparently possible to make the request for a replacement online (pedido de segunda via de autorização de residência pode ser formulado através de plataforma eletrónica) and presumably you or your lawyer can do this.
I have just seen that there is a cost and in the case of ARI, the cost for a second card was/is 2.662,50€

2 Likes

Would you pay the full fee to have a card that has been lost reissued?

Do you actually need the card? To qualify for citizenship, I believe you can get a letter from SEF, showing residency, so no need for the physical card.

To travel to PT for short trips, you can enter without the card on a US passport … or get a Schengen visa which is cheaper than the card if you have a passport that needs visa.

Seems you’d only need the card if living there. In which case, why bother with GV vs D7?

Lost mine. The appointment to replace it is after my renewal. Lawyer said to just proceed with the renewal and have a photocopy just in case. Police refused to issue a theft report as I was not 100% sure.