Nif & tax?

Hi,
I am awaiting my nif no. Through NIFONLINE and am wondering if I need to pay tax before I actually purchase any property.

When you purchase property, generally, you will have to pay the IMT tax. Annually, you will generally need to pay the IMI tax. Finally, you will need to pay income tax on any rental income you get from the property if you are a nonresident.

Here’s a bit more on that as well as other taxes you might come across in purchasing property in Portugal:

https://www.portugalproperty.com/finance-related/taxes/

2 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for your reply and information.
My real question is once I get my nif am I immediately responsible for an annual tax return/ payment for the period before I purchase anything or am I only required to do a return after I have purchased something.
Many thanks,
Trev.

You will be responsible for the IMT tax when the property is sold. You will not be responsible for the IMI until it becomes due when you own the property. You will not be responsible for any income tax on the property (assuming you make income on it) until after the end of the year when you earn the income. I believe income taxes in Portugal are due by June 30 the year after the tax year (e.g., for income earned in 2022, income taxes are due by June 30, 2023).

If you do not earn any income on the property, and otherwise are not a tax resident of Portugal, then you will not owe any income tax or need to file a return.

1 Like

If you have an address outside of Portugal on your NIF, and you do not reside in Portugal yet, you aren’t a tax resident for income tax purposes. Property purchases always have tax obligations but those only happen when property actions occur, like purchase, sale or annual tax.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
That’s great info and very much appreciated.
Exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks again.
Trev.

1 Like