Portugal Golden Visa Guide: Pros & Cons in 2024 – Nomad Gate

No problem @nassarfk!
Stay well and safe

Can anyone please tell that how long it takes in practical to renew the golden visa, I mean after the completion of the year. Secondly what documents are required if someone is living in Portugal after receiving the first card and didn’t leave the country during the stay.
What does building permit means if someone rehabilitated the property. For example, before the renovation if the application is made to the city hall and the city hall provided a letter saying that you don’t need the rehabilitation permit as far you are not bringing changing inside the apartment. Can it be called the building permit?

A decision on the renewal should be taken within 60 days of the request being made. It approved, it should then take approx. 3-5 weeks for the residence card to be issued.

As for the documents:
• passport (or another valid travel document);
• evidence that you are covered by the health care system (either under the National Health Service or under an international health insurance;
• official application form (including the authorisation for the authorities to check your Portuguese criminal record);
• declaration from the tax and social security authorities stating that you have no debts towards them;
• eventually, evidence that you’ve been living in the country;

• deed of purchase of the property;
  • certificate from the land register proving that you are still the owner of the property
  • other official documents of the property (namely the tax documents - caderneta predial)
  • if the works are not subject to a permit or licence, then you must prove that the works took place (contract, invoices, payments, etc.).

Depending on your personal situation, some other document might be needed… I hope this helps!

@guifig:
Thank you very much, your answer is very helpful, I am really obliged for your reply.

1- What documents are needed to prove that one has been living in the country; It is alright to show the passport confirming that there is no exit and entry as the immigration authorities keeps the record of the exit and entry.

2- Is there any specific form for the authorization for the authorities to check the Portuguese criminal record or it can be provided with written simple written consent.

3- If GV holder living in Portugal but not working in Portugal, then is it necessary for him/her to register himself/herself with social security authorities and get the social security number? if yes, then both husband and wife should be registered if they are not working in Portugal?

You didn’t mention anything about the building permit. As the city hall provided a letter that the renovation doesn’t does not permit as far as there is no outside changes in the apartment. Do you think this document will be enough as a building permit?
Thank you very much in advance

Hi @usair:

Again, this is in general what the law says but each situation may have its own small differences…

1 Like

If you’re uncertain about what to do, I advise you to seek help from the lawyer who assisted you in getting the visa (or some other professional). It would be a shame to lose the visa by doing some silly mistake or missing a deadline.

1 Like

Thank you very much again, I understand now;

sorry to bother you again for just a quick query:-

3- If GV holder living in living in Portugal but not working in Portugal, then is it necessary for him/her to register himself/herself with the social security authorities and get the social security number? if yes, then both husband and wife should be registered if they are not working in Portugal?

Thank you very much in advance

1 Like

If you don’t have a professional activity in Portugal then you might not need to but as a “definitive” resident you should in case you want to benefit from the national health system, for example.

@guifig:
thank you very much,

You’re welcome!

Dear Thomas,

If I buy a property for GV and let it, what would be the tax rate for rental income? I heard the IMI would be exempted for 5 years and I wonder if there would also be exemption on the rental income tax. Thank you.

Best regards,

Yong

Has anyone applied for the Visa by themselves? (without a lawyers help?)

Thanks
Andrew

Hi,

I wanted to know if a child (holder of golden visa as family reunion) study for three years school in Portugal and for the first year the child does not have residency card but his papers shown that he and his parents are legally in Portugal and then for the two years he has residency card (to be precise golden visa). So totally he studied three years in school in Portugal.
I read somewhere that if a child study for three years school in Portugal then he can be eligible for Portuguese Nationality. Is this correct??

Hello, any lawyers for GV that anyone has utilized and can recommend in the Faro/Algarve region? thank-you.

1 Like

Long-term rental 28%.

Thank you!

Hello, everybody
I am posting the same question again if anyone can help to reply with his/her knowledge about the Portuguese Nationality.

Hi,

I wanted to know if a child (holder of golden visa as family reunion) study for three years school in Portugal and for the first year the child does not have residency card but his papers shown that he and his parents are legally in Portugal and then for the two years he has residency card (to be precise golden visa). So totally he studied three years in school in Portugal.
I read somewhere that if a child study for three years school in Portugal, then he can be eligible for Portuguese Nationality. Is this correct??

Thanks,
Zach

1 Like

Hello @Zach1, I believe that in that case the school would be able to issue a certificate attesting the child’s knowledge of Portuguese language but he would still need to meet the other requirements for nationality.

@guifig,

Thank you very much for your response. So you mean that it’s not enough that a child study three years school in Portugal for the Portuguese nationality for the child, the child should also live for five years or keep the golden visa as a family reunion for five years in order to get the Portuguese nationality?? The same as for the adults over 18 years old.

@Zach1, that is my impression, yes. Schooling would attest for the language knowledge but would not make the child eligible per se. I’ll try to confirm that next week and will let you know