Portugal Golden Visa - The New Law of 2023

No, no stay requirements in Greece.

1 Like

EXCELLENT! All those invested in the ARI Scheme need to keep its negative highlights in the news every day. Not just the English news, but we need to get it and keep it in the Portuguese Newspapers. The more bad press it generates and shows the people of Portugal how their democracy and the concepts of their constitution (which was just drafted in 1975, not yet 50 years ago) are being trampled the better.

My concern is right now, we are fighting the more housing supporters who I symphathesize with, but we are not the reason for their problems. The lack of programs of the government are.

This seems plausible, and itā€™s less onerous than the worst-case scenario, but itā€™s still an unwelcome compliance burden for a ā€œUS personā€ subject to citizenship-based taxation. Moreover, for fund investors who didnā€™t buy homes for personal use, it presumably imposes the burden of securing a permanent private residence in Portugal, which defeats the nominal purpose of the ā€œMore Housingā€ law (not to mention imposing a major additional cost and aggravation).

2 Likes

That theory reads to me more like ARI holders will get a ā€œpaperā€ residency. AKA agree to tax residency and you dont actually need to be here half the year. So perhaps no property requirements.

And with NHR, one could conceivably pay no tax to PT for your entire ā€œresidenceā€ period? So just the slight annoyance and expense of paying a PT accountant to file your (non) taxesā€¦

ā€œoops all my income was earned in the US!ā€

(please dont say this is FUD if I got anything wrong, we are ALL theorizing here.)

6 Likes

This is a very interesting read, and along lines that Iā€™ve been pondering for a while. Clearly, the government is reacting to two distinct pressures: from the public about housing costs, and from the EU who want rid of GVs. At the same time, no government particularly wants to pick a fight with foreign investors, some of whom may be well-connected. So some kind of fudge, allowing the govt to shout that ā€œWe ended golden visasā€ while quietly engineering a sensible transition, does seem plausible. (If this is what they plan, Iā€™m very slightly concerned about the risk that the GV community makes a lot of noise, and essentially forces the government to act aggressively rather than sensibly. But who knows?)

5 Likes

Your conjectures have merit and I appreciate your thoughtful examination of the issues. :grinning:

4 Likes

Indeed. But wink-wink, nudge-nudge doesnā€™t inspire faith within a low trust relationship, and history has not contributed to building a high-trust relationship. If the government had quietly socialized their plans through back channels with leading GV attorneys, banks, and investment funds, they might have communicated privately with clients, ā€œall is well, itā€™s just window-dressing for political show, hereā€™s whatā€™s going to happen, youā€™ll emerge whole from all of this.ā€ But it seems that GV firms are as much in the dark as all of us, and similarly dismayed.

This is a case study in the making for a political science graduate school class.

3 Likes

Aww I knew we would turn a corner eventually. ONWARD!

2 Likes

It also lines up with what my lawyer (and the museum I donated to) have heard from the Ministry of Culture (or something): they have been guaranteed that the Cultural Heritage pathway will remain open.

Is there any value if the stay requirements change? Nope! And they must realize this. So something must be going on behind the scenes that hasnā€™t been made public yet.

4 Likes

That is certainly possible. For example the general D3 visa has normal stay requirements, but the HQA, which is technically also D3, is exempt from stay requirements altogether.

I wonder if they will add the fiscal residency requirement for HQA too? If not, then HQA is certainly a more attractive option than e.g. the cultural donation Golden Visa. It even costs less capital!

Yes same prob here. And inputting the no on my ARI residency card doesnā€™t work either for the same reason

1 Like

Good point, but please note after talking with our accountants at Deloitte you need to apply for NHR tax status. It is not a given and you are supposed to have a permanent residence address, utility bills in Portugal to qualify. Now the wink, wink, nudge, nudge, fudge the D2 into a D2 Plus would not work unless they do the paper residence, but that is another area of jeopardy. I think they need to keep the ARI scheme in place for 6-8 years after the last temporary residence permit is issued. All applications stop as of X future date.

Hereā€™s the latest TPN article, about proposed GV changes being unconstitutional. It has an open comments section; feel free to contribute your polite input.

2 Likes

Agreed that the only solution that isnā€™t a total mess is to let existing ARI holders and applicants run their course, but stop taking new applications.

3 Likes

Which was pretty much what the 3rd March draft legislation said. So why did the plan change so radically? Or if @skippy.fluff is right, perhaps it didnā€™t.

2 Likes

In its current form does the PGV ever end? In other words what currently happens if you never take-up PR or Citizenship but just renew your PGVā€¦

1 Like

Then you continue to contribute enormous fees to the Portuguese government every two years, and struggle to make an appointment for renewal each time. Why would someone suffer through that, and why should this community be concerned about it?

34 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion of the potential unconstitutionality of the proposed GV law changes

ā€˜Concernā€™ no, but it might effect how the Government wind down the programme, it seems to me thereā€™s no ā€œsunsetā€ on the current PGVs or applications, but Iā€™m no expertā€¦

2 Likes

Regarding the fright that people will renew GVs in perpetuity: this feels like concern trolling so Iā€™m going to bid you a good day.

2 Likes