Portugal likely to scrap much-criticised 'golden visa' scheme, PM says

These were proposals, to be discussed next month. After which, may get ratified immediately (hopefully with a transition period, may be sent back with changes to come back aroundā€¦itā€™s early yet. But yeah, real estate probably wonā€™t be an option and renewals for existed GVers may be declined unless the residence is the primary residence of the applicant of their dependents.

5 Likes

I read that also. But it makes little sense to me. What is the point of completing application and biometrics for an initial application if there is no path to renewal?? It seems like the government is saying, we will let people who started an application continue with it, but then we are going to pull the rug out when they try to renew.

It is also odd that there is IAS saying ā€œDonā€™t worry, you will be fine as you are grandfatheredā€ while the IMI article states that the program is totally eliminated. Two totally opposite interpretations of the same meeting.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m wondering, too. I have my biometrics appointment in March, but wondering if thereā€™s a point. Iā€™d like to move to Portugal eventually, but switching to a d7/d8 after two years and moving there isnā€™t an option for me so soon. Yes, I had planned on going after citizenship eventually. Sigh.

8 Likes

Same here. I feel betrayed by the government. I canā€™t tell you how many hours I have spent learning Portuguese and exploring the culture and meeting people in Portugal. Now I feel stabbed in the back by a good friend. I had a trip planned to Portugal this summer . I will look at cancelling that now.

7 Likes

I guess we just have to hope they decide it isnt constitutional to retroactively change the rules for existing applicants.

Otherwise, I think they would have a lot of lawsuits on their hands. I would definitely consider it, as I would not have made a 250K EUR cultural donation just to get a different type of visaā€¦

8 Likes

This article makes it seem like just the real estate option is being removed. Clearly nobody really knows what is going on yet.

1 Like

this was BEFORE the announcement today - speculation on what might be announced. It is clear from the announcement that ALL Golden Visa is goneā€¦ The only question is what about all the people already in the process - applied, pre-approved, biometrics, carded, renewal, and citizenshipā€¦ That is the part that is unclear - also seems to be lack of clarity on what if anything is different for non-real estate. At least one article seems to indicate things are actually worse if you are non-real estate.

5 Likes

Actually a requirement for the golden visa application when going the investment fund route was that the fund had to provide a declaration that the investor couldnā€™t remove the funds for at least 5 years.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point for sure.

2 Likes

I donā€™t believe thatā€™s true. Or at least, I provided a promise not to divest from the fund for that long. Iā€™m not aware of the fund having to do the same

2 Likes

Why not a D7 then? Much easier for sure

5 Likes

If you are ready to live in Portugal for five or more years, the d7 was definitely always an easier path to citizenship.

If you wanted to move there eventually but preferred to get the citizenship clock ticking ā€“ often at great financial benefit to PT ā€“ the GV was better. My wife and I arent ready to move yet, so if our in-progress application gets cancelled, we are pretty screwed on that idea. And out the $250kā€¦

5 Likes

Yeah but they were talking about selling all their stuff and being ready to go

4 Likes

69 posts were merged into an existing topic: The end of Portugalā€™s Golden Visaā€”for real this time? | Nomad Gate

For easier access Iā€™ve moved the discussion since the February 16 announcement over to this new topic:

Please continue the topic there.

4 Likes