Awaiting Final Approval (Stage 4)

We’re at 8 months since biometrics in Azores, November 2021.

1 Like

I am at 5 months since biometric in Porto, February 2022…already feel like years

1 Like

From what I’ve read here + feedback from my lawyers and my own experience
it seems as if the SEF offices in south are the fastest, (Albufeira, Faro etc)

the islands are tricky; I was told that they are among the fastest, but few people here stated that they’ve been waiting for 8 months…

Without a doubt Lisbon is the slowest - that is unless someone establishes a task force to clear up the back log…

Porto is somewhere in between - it used to be relatively fast in terms of processing - 3 months during pre-Covid times, but nowadays it is almost certain that it will take longer…

2 Likes

I think you are correct. Resident cards after biometrics are still very slow. Many people waiting 6-9 months routinely. A few people get lucky and are getting approved in 3-4 months but that seems to be the exception.

This is part of what makes this process so ridiculous. SEF makes a big deal about doing the biometrics in chronological order but then the approvals are not done chronologically?

2 Likes

My lawyers also told me for a long time the “southern” offices generally are faster / more efficient. That said, I did mine at Portimao office in May 2021 - no updates whatsoever – finally in January 2022 my lawyers sent someone there in person to find out what’s going on. Turns out literally there were many cards printed and just "sitting there (!!!) Mine wasn’t printed, however, but I finally got it in February 2022.

One of my family members did biometrics in Lisbon, supposedly the worst office, in October 2021 and we got her card in hand before end of March 2022. A couple others did theirs at a central office and got theirs in April.

MY TAKEAWAY: every office’s timeline seems very RANDOM, especially since COVID :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hi

Yesterday my lawyer received my card .i paid money on 23 June 2022 and date on card 1 July 2022 and delivered to lawyer on 14 July still waiting for family cards

kind regards

6 Likes

AMAZING! So quick! Which office?

3 Likes

Yes I was surprise . Coimbra

3 Likes

Lucky you! Congratulations.
My pre-approval was also right at start of the pandemic: March 2020 and I still waiting for the biometric.

2 Likes

Given all the potential advantages and disadvantages of going to certain offices, does the applicant have the opportunity to choose where to do their biometrics? Or once the application is lodged in Lisbon, you’re stuck providing biometrics in Lisbon?

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. It sounds deeply frustrating! I read elsewhere on the forum that if you were offered a biometrics appointment and couldn’t make it, they’ve put you to the back of the line. Is this fact pattern applicable to you?

1 Like

It is my understanding that you can choose to do biometrics anywhere so long as you can get an appointment. It does not matter where your application was submitted.

It doesn’t. some people think some offices are faster. But do you wait for months to get an appointment at an office that is theoretically faster? shrug

1 Like

Did any of those who applied in Nov '21 and have the Pre-approval get invitation to apply for appointment for Biometrics?

1 Like

Per other threads, only those who submitted their application before the end of September 2021 have been invited for biometrics so far.

2 Likes

We made an appointment, but SEF cancelled that due to Covid. It was in July 2020.
I also received an invitation on Dec 2021 when SEF announced chronological order, but the agenda remained closed during the time we supposed to make an appointment.

2 Likes

That’s not correct. Mine was pre-approved in March 2020 and I did not receive the invitation.

That’s true, my answer was a bit imprecise and does not take into account those from who had appointments who were cancelled and possibly other situations.

The more accurate statement I should have made would have been that those applying after March 2021 but before October 2021 have been invited for biometrics this last round so long as they receive pre approval before the invites were sent out.

You can choose any office but given the constantly evolving situation with SEF I don’t know that you can game the system in this way. Just recently SEF started process final approvals at a very rapid rate from Lisbon. I still believe you are generally best off taking the first available appointment, regardless of where it may be.

6 Likes

nice. Have you seen any examples of ppl getting approved in Lisbon who did their biometrics this year?

1 Like