Question about how to recieve text messages overseas without changing my number

Occasionally I get important 2-way authentication messages that I need to log in to different websites.
I currently have a $70 nonprepaid plan with T-mobile. When I’m abroad I don’t want to continue with my plan the only thing I need is to receive text messages without changing my number. I’m looking for a simple solution
for under $20 what are my options?

1 Like
  1. Use Google 2FA instead of a sim card number! Hackers can easily port your number to their phone by calling your carrier and get access through Social Engineering. There have been multiple prominent attacks against high net worth individuals in this way.

2. When not possible, use a Google Voice/Hangouts number instead one of an actual sim. It cannot be ported since it’s connected to your Google Account. Then it relies on your security measures with the Google Account.

1 Like

thanks I’ll look into it!

Been having this issue too, I am surprised there are no solutions to offer some sort of international phone ID that would work off of internet regardless of your carrier or sim card…

Google Voice and similar VoIP software dont always receive auth texts.

Also it’s a pain to place international phone calls via Google Voice, I really don’t understand what’s their issue… A simple virtual phone solution like Vumber does it so much better.

Google’s authenticator is an option, but make sure you disconnect everything when changing your phone, or you will have to go though a painful account recovery process and might even lose your account. I once lost my bitmain account with a few bits of crypto this way :man_facepalming:

I decided to play it safe and just keep my cell while I’m there. Thanks for the heads up and mentioning bitcoins which I forgot totally.

1 Like