Studying Portuguese online

which ones actually provide reference information? Duolingo provides very little in terms of grammatical rules and the like - it’s mostly mimicry, but I really want to be able to learn the basic rules (lists of conjugations, rules for articles, and the like).

I have used a few of the apps and resources.

The grammar rules are very different from English and quite complex. If you already know Spanish, Italian, you can probably get by with some of the apps. Otherwise, you are going to find it almost impossible to understand rules and conjugation from audio courses or apps.

I recommend an in-person or virtual language course at least to get through the basics. There are a lot of instructors you can find on Facebook or other places. My course was $300 for 14 weeks. well worth it if you are serious about learning. The alternative to this is to find a good textbook with audio and study that on your own but I rate that as a secondary option.

I can also endorse the Pimsleur European. It does a decent job but again, if you don’t understand the grammar you will think you are learning with their spoon-fed dialogue but you really will be lost in a real world scenario.

For quick lessons, you can try Youtube videos such as these:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb0zJhS1C8QK3fzcZdU0Xkw

Like anything in life, if you practice a ton you will find it easy. If you don’t put effort into it, you will struggle.

As for the A2 exams, there are some CIPLE practice tests available online. They explain how the score is divided between audio expression, audio comprehension and written comprehension. It is all important.

I am certainly no expert at this, but I believe in practice, practice , practice and it will seem easy before long. Find a partner who is at your level to practice with.

1 Like

I also like Pimsleur but for European PT they only have 1 course. Pimsleur is more focused on Brazilian so it is not so useful in the GV context. I also find that Pimsleur is useful for memorizing common phrases, but not the best for learning how to engage in creative dialog.

Yes. It’s a launching pad in some ways. This is why once I master the basics, I move onto podcasts and iTalki, etc. I’d still just stick with the Brazilian Portuguese. It worked for me to move pretty seamlessly into imitating the European Portuguese idiomatic words, phrases and accents …just like picking up a London accent and idiomatic words/phrases from my American/Angeleno ones.

Hi all - have anyone of you acquired Portuguese nationality eventually -

If so, did you do the A2 language test at the testing center and then you included that document in your naturalization application, was this all or was there any personal interview or culture test on top of that?

Your message was ages ago and you may have already figured out a solution, but the Practice Portuguese website seems to have more by way of rules . I haven’t signed up for it yet, but the few times that I have looked at it the instructions on conjugation etc were quite informative

1 Like

From what I have read about people who have actually given the exam is that the listening part is the most difficult. If you have not spent time in the country and only relied on materials, it’s very difficult to understand anything. It’s spoken at native speed, includes background noise and is idiomatic.
This is second hand information, but may be worth confirming.

I am currently in Portugal and I can completely attest to this fact. I have been using Memrise for a few months now, and currently have the help of a Portuguese native helping me with construction of sentences and conversation and understanding him when he speaks at regular speed is by far the most difficult thing.
That is what we have been practicing. Asking and responding to simple sentences.

There are verbs that are very similar sounding like ‘ver’ and ‘vir’, ‘ouvir’ or words that have a ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ pronounciation like ‘para’ and conjugated verbs like ‘ouvir-te’'. The result is that even simple sentences when spoken at regular speed get hard to understand even if you have a command of the vocabulary. Having context helps, but I can see how that can be a utter challenge on an exam.

What I am finding is that since I am developing reading skills at the same time with Memrise, I have become reliant on ‘seeing’ the words, which instantly makes it easier. ONLY hearing them and processing that is a whole another challenge.
Maybe it is possible to pass the exam, not sure what the criteria is, but as far as understanding people as part of day to day living, is going to take a lot more than spending the ‘minimum required days’ in Portugual. And apps are no substitute to listening to people in the grocery checkout line or behind the counter .

1 Like

Agreed. It is a completely different world when dealing with the oral comprehension. Unless your native language is a roman language (spanish, french, italian), it surely takes tremendous efforts to achieve the acceptable level of listening. Speaking is always easier than listening because you have no control whatsoever people speak to you.

Regarding the exam, i believe that everyone here could pass the A2 comfortably with some little effort.

However, as said, to be able to communicate comfortably with local people, it could takes years of hard works.

2 Likes

If you are currently in Portugal, there is a great initiative that provides free courses - on completion you will get your language levels. B and A levels.

Here’s a link with info:

https://www.acm.gov.pt/-/como-posso-frequentar-um-curso-de-lingua-portuguesa-para-estrangeiros

There is also an online version: (not sure if the exam grades are included though)

https://pptonline.acm.gov.pt/

Let us know how you go with the courses!

1 Like

Thank you. This is exactly what I want. I am between jobs so knocking this out now would be perfect.

2 Likes

@54dd748e8084f43940e4 I started it today. It is not a learning platform, but rather one to pass the test. I will have to learn the material elsewhere. What you sent did mention classes in Portugal which will be useful in due time.

3 Likes

We have been for our biometrics in November 2022 and we were told that we should have our residency card in about 6 months.
So everything is in place but the big stumbling block for me is the A2 language test at the end of 5 years. I know 5 years is a long time to learn a language so I was thinking of doing a bit every year. Would this be a good approach or should I wait for my last year and then start learning?

I can’t imagine waiting will help!

1 Like

It depends on factors such as your learning aptitude and available time. In general starting early could be helpful for many people. But if you see yourself having some free time at the year 4 time, there are dedicated classes in Portugal you can take if you can make a solid 6 month commitment. I could see that being a better approach rather than struggling through learning bits and pieces over 5 years.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking as well. Five years is a long time and the stuff I learn now I may forget in 3 years’ time… :slight_smile:
What I will do is make a commitment to learning the basics, like in the real basics, in the first year. At least be able to greet people and say hello and goodbye and those kinds of things. It would also be nice to use it while there as we do plan to make a few trips to Portugal during each two-year period. Every year maybe just add some more basic stuff and then for the last year or so really push and commit to learning the language with a set schedule. I don’t know I hope this is a good approach…

Right, I think that’s a reasonable approach.
It’s easy to forget what you don’t actively use.
At the age of 8 I was able to translate a whole book from German.
Now I cannot say more than a few words of it :grin:

1 Like

Exactly. If I had someone near me I could practice the language skill with it would have helped tremendously! …but I dont.

I will say that I really liked the Pimsleur course for pt-pt - it’s short so you can’t go too far with it, but do one lesson a day and it only takes a month and gives you a pretty solid level of portuguese for being a tourist and getting around lisbon.

My referral code if anyone cares to use it, gives a free trial (EDIT: PM me for it, would rather not have my name in a public post :slight_smile: )

1 Like

If any of you are Redditors (and even if not :wink:), a link to a list of subtitled portuguese TV content - many available outside the country (with or without a VPN). Great for those interested in Portuguese history, culture, politics, literature etc. and for the most part in very clear European Portuguese. Reddit - Dive into anything.
Recommended online learning resources are: Reddit - Dive into anything
To improve writing skills in Portuguese this link may help: https://www.reddit.com/r/WriteStreakPT/ The sub has EU-PT volunteers who correct daily short pieces written in Portuguese and requires a daily time commitment to progress.

4 Likes