Thoughts on giving up and selling

Sorry it was Diu not Goa but also an ex-colony. Source here: https://indianexpress.com/article/india/one-link-ties-all-seven-portuguese-nationals-in-air-india-crash-diu-roots-10072944/

Of the over 50,000 population of Diu, they estimated that at least half the households have members who have taken up Portuguese citizenship or are British nationals.

This has nothing to do with GVs. They have a much easier path.

I am right behind you. Not interested in throwing more good money after bad. In our case, we have not only been waiting on the visa, but years for a property that looks like it will never be completed and the developer keeps trying to shake me down for more money on a project that was fixed bid. The time and frustration is not worth it.

1 Like

I filed a lawsuit and live in the US. No issues. Won. Have a GV - 18 months start to finish

1 Like

Happy it worked out for you. From reading the forums, seems like it’s luck of the draw and I drew poorly twice.

1 Like

I would say you are way in the small percentage and not in the luck of the draw. Most people doing GV are not in the forums, within the forums it is usually people with problems voicing their issue - so a very small subset. That being said - not being able to upload your documents is weird. I don’t think anyone else’s has voiced that. And losing a law suit because AiMA cannot let you upload documents is even more bizarre. I would say you had an error of some kind and then a bad lawsuit - assume you used an attorney.

Yeah, clearly something broke in the AIMA system for my application otherwise I should have been invited for biometrics years ago, that part is clearly unlucky. But lawsuits failing seems fairly common. Of course I used attorneys for my lawsuits.

My point was not that you need to have a house / sign a lease in Portugal, etc. in order to win a lawsuit. In fact, based on anecdotes from this forum, it’s neither sufficient (some folks with houses in PT and living in PT full-time have lost lawsuits) nor necessary (folks like yourself have won lawsuits). But providing evidence that you already live in PT did seem to help the chance of success, up until 2024 at least.

They are just realigning with the rest of EU where residence is key. I am just compiling list of all entries and exits for a 30 year old daughter (who does not have the time) for another EU country - she has lived in pre-brexit EU most of her life but now they need a before and after Brexit calc and a proof that in last five years she has not been out of her country of residence/EU for more that 12 mos in total except for work. So 183 days a years is ‘nuffink’.

I think it depends on why you are getting the GV. If to live in PT, why sell. If to get a passport to live elsewhere, then you have to think about it.

What is your investment? If it is a fund, not sure if there are buyers out there without selling at a discount to its value.

Do you have any info about where closed funds are bought and sold? At this point I would sell for a discount because the opportunity cost of keeping the money tied up in a dubious investment is too high.

some funds are working on listing on markets such as euronext but most won’t. it’ll be a matter of talking to your fund manager and seeing if they (and will) can cross with new investors instead of issuing new shares, or something like that.

I know someone in the fund I am in asked the fund manager to sell on their behalf. The fund manager emailed everyone in the fund an offer to purchase the shares at 90¢ on the €. I did make an offer that I thought was fair, but someone did buy at the offered price.

I agreed with the opportunity cost. The €350K I have tied up would have more than doubled based on the returns of my other stock investments.

4 Likes

Yes, the opportunity cost is much higher than expected, given the AIMA delays keep everyone invested longer than expected, and now the nationality laws might do that even more. I never expected to see NVIDIA stock level returns on this, but 5 years of a meh return is very different than 15.

2 Likes

I think wait until any new legislation is finalized, and if you don’t already have, you should find a firm that does full service. There are plenty firms in PT that deal with going to the bank and taking care of your taxes around investment without you even having to be in the country.