UK Apostille

I am about to submit some UK documents to be apostilled. The Legislation Office at the FCO is quoting up to three weeks for processing. I’m not sure whether this is just a conservative estimate for complex cases or whether fairly simple documents will be quicker. There are also a number of companies that offer intermediary apostille services. Does anyone have experience of this process and any recommendations? Thanks

With the caveat that I have not gone through this step myself yet, I would recommend using an intermediary as they would have access to the same-day ‘Premium’ service.
In my case I will be using my lawyer who claims to be one of such registered intermediaries.

That does seem the way to go. I’ll talk to a couple of them tomorrow. Thanks

To close this subject off, I engaged a Coventry-based apostille service and had everything done in four days - excellent service:

Monday morning: order placed, mailed documents to Coventry
Tuesday: they hand-delivered documents to the FCO office in Milton Keynes
Wednesday: they collected the apostilled documents and handed them to a courier
Thursday evening: courier delivered the apostilled documents to my home

Cost was £54 per document plus a courier charge of £10. That compares to the £30 per document fee if you send them directly to the Legislation Office, but the website quotes ‘up to 15 working days’.

Hi!!! Just going through this now myself. Did you use the guys at Union House, New Union Street?

I have just re-done the whole set of apostilles and used Union House- based firm due to urgency for same-day service.
Previously used Coventry-based folks due to optimal cost but obviously they don’t do same-day.

Note there a few firms based in the same place, I can ping you the name I used in pvt message.

1 Like

That would be great- thanks Tommy.

Sorry, got myself confused in the previous post a little bit.
The Union House is indeed the Coventry address, which I did use before, yes.
The ‘same-day’ services are in London, 83 Victoria St.

Gotcha- really appreciate it. I’ve looked at them both and online reviews seem ok, but it’s really good to have heard from someone who’s used them. Thanks again!

Hi, I was wondering if you can confirm which documents you needed to have apostilled for the visa application. We have been told birth certificate and DBS. Could you let me know which others you had done? thank you

In my case I had the following apostilled:

• ACRO criminal record certificates for myself, wife & child
  • UK national insurance number letter
  • marriage certificate
  • birth certificate for child

NB - there are two types of “criminal record checks” in the UK: DBS and ACRO. My understanding, but check with your own lawyer, is that the ACRO check is the one used for international use - visas, etc - while DBS is intended for checks done by UK employers, charities etc. You might be fine with DBS, but I (and I think others on here) have gone with the ACRO check and have been pre-approved or fully approved on that basis.

Good luck C

Thank you your reply is very helpful. It is confusing as our lawyer isn’t very specific.

(And in case it’s unclear, what’s needed are new copies of birth or marriage certificates. It’s not enough to take one issued at the time of birth or marriage and have that apostilled - you have to get a new certified copy issued by the General Records Office.)

If they can’t help with such a simple question, I would change lawyer sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

Thanks I was going to ask for a copy of the original birth certificate from the county I was born as they hold the records for the area. Is the General records office different?

I think you can do either. The GRO can provide copy certificates for all births in England and Wales.