šŸ” What European tax residency is most favourable for a remote worker / freelancer?

This video explains it all.

3 Likes

It seems they are reopening ( and some are already open) the borders :grinning:

If your customers are happy to pay you in Panama, Belizeā€¦ etc do it. Regarding avoiding to pay personal tax, it is legally possible if you reside (usually) 50% + 1 day in a place. Malta has remittance based taxation (although you have to declare something there), Panama, Malaysia, Philippines have territorial taxation, if you are rich you can go to Monaco :grinning:

2 Likes

In Bulgaria the most favoured structure for your situation would be a local equivalent of an LLP. You could also just register as a self employed freelancer self proprietor. Your tax rate is 10% less allowances (small). accountants are plentiful but better not to find one on english language internet search as those are expensive, and not always so good. Check out Sofia or south west Bulgaria like Plovdiv, Haskovo, etc Avoid he Black sea coast.

Itā€™s amazing US territories are listed on these lists as non compliant with US itself not signed to CRS but wants everyone bow down to its FATCA. Hypocrisy and power abuse runs a long way.

Portugal ist the place to be!
Low taxes , good health system, low costs for living, good weather, nice people ā€¦and the Golden Visa Program !
See my post here:

yes thatā€™s why the most favoured tax advantaged location globally is now Nevadaā€¦ US persecutes alll other locations and welcomes them into Nevadaā€¦Trust structure I thinkā€¦ and I think North Dakota before thatā€¦

How would you rate Bulgaria against Portugal based on the criteria you mentioned. ā€œLow taxes , good health system, low costs for living, good weather, nice people ā€¦and the Golden Visa Program !ā€ (apart from the golden visa). Iā€™m an EU citizen so I donā€™t really need that.
Thanks!

1 Like

Well, if you are concerned about taxes - Bulgaria is better. Flat tax 10% on all your incomeā€¦ For Climate I believe Portugal is betterā€¦ health system is better in Portugalā€¦ cost of living is low both cases but I believe if you like seafood Portugal is far ahead of Bulgaria. Nice people - well it depends on your attitude towards people. You can probably find good people even in North Koreaā€¦ Crime and corruption are probably higher in Bulgariaā€¦ Generally speaking Bulgaria is less developed if you compare it with Portugal

2 Likes

Lisbon is expensive, trust me. I cant speak for the rest of Portugal.
The health system good? Compared to what? Nice people? Not particularly, sane as everywhere there are nice and not so nice. I come across grumpy Portuguese most days of the week.

1 Like

Lisbon seems kinda pricey to me. I guess itā€™s relative.

It is pricey. Finding affordable ccommodation can be difficult too. Restaurants tend to be expensive, as do groceries. The only thing I notice cheaper is coffee from cafes.

Has anyone had any experience about how social security payments work under NHR?

As a remote worker for a UK business (tax resident in Portugal under NHR, paying the fixed 20% income tax) the social security payments seem to be around 11% of gross salary - in the UK, itā€™s more like 4% (National Insurance) once you factor in allowances and thresholds. The information from the UK Government seems to suggest you can choose to pay UK social security for up to 2 years - Iā€™ve highlighted the relevant part - National Insurance if you go abroad - GOV.UK

Does anyone have any insights on this? Obviously paying 4% would be nicer than 11%, even if only for 2 yearsā€¦

I was looking at Barbados too - with the Welcome Stamp (no barbados income tax) - and a big UK law firm seemed to say you could effectively choose to keep paying UK social security tax for up to 3 years - again, Iā€™ve highlighted the relevant part in yellow Lewis Silkin - Lifes a beach Working remotely from Barbados

Anyone know?

All or most of the answers here ignore the basic definitions of PE and Tax Residency.
I think the Estonian government guide covers it pretty well.

TL/DR for those who canā€™t be bothered to read the articles above:

If you create a company in any country and live and operate in another country with ā€œresidence-based taxationā€ (pretty much every country in the developed world), that second country can automatically claim that company should pay local taxes - and youā€™re screwed. (because not only you need to do paperwork twice but also because you ve got to figure out complex stuff and get into trouble with local authorities)

Therefore it doesnt really ā€œmatterā€ if Bulgaria or Estonia have 10 or 20% tax or whatever. If you reside in, say, Spain, or Germany, or France, or Austria, or wherever (except Monaco - if you have a million euros handy to stay there) then these countries could theoretically

• ask and and get information from Estonia about the company
  • see your incoming bank transfers to your local bank account and ask where itā€™s coming from (your salary or your dividents)

Practically, how likely is this to happen? I honestly donā€™t know. The question is, are you curious to find out?

So, what do you do instead? Well, if you think you can live permanently and operate from one of these low tax rate countries, by all means do it.

4 Likes

No. That is the maximum rate. One can pay the minimum rate applicable to your activity. Now there is even a 90ā‚¬ / month flat for newcomers in the Social Security systems as a freelancer.

1 Like

How about Georgia to consider and currently visa nomad friendly.
Easy to open bank account when there
Tax Free living and EU time zone