14-Day Requirements: Proofs

For those of us who are lucky (or “lucky”) to finally receive the cards, what are your plans to provide proofs of the 14-day in PT?

I have a list of things to do / keep and wondering if they are all necessary:

• Passport stamps: entering via PT (LIS) for sure. But wondering if enter via EU (which no stamps from PT).
  • PT Card: present them at passport control (i.e., wondering if SEF agent would even enter arrival info in system).
  • Flight boarding passes.
  • Hotel stay receipts.
  • Daily expense in PT receipts.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Get a NIF and use it?

2 Likes

Oh yeah I left that out. So on their end (SEF) they can / will look up your NIF and get an activity report?

4 Likes

Complete speculation, but I would not rely on the self agent to do anything

Flight in/out and hotel receipts sound convincing to me. Dinner receipts for your time in Portugal sound good to be extra sure

2 Likes

This is one of the more straight forward questions and the response should be easy. I’ve checked this with my lawyer in the past and below is my suggestion.

1- The passport stamp (make sure that the officer stamps your entry - you might need to remind the officer - once you show the residency card they might simply check the residency and give back the passport to you)
2- Keep the boarding passes (in and out)
3- To be super safe, buy something everyday with your NIF so that you have a receipt with your NIF for those 14 days… It can be anything… Coffee, subway ticket, any small purchase that comes with a receipt with your NIF counts. (make sure the receipt is readable)

The above should be enough

• It only helps if you get a receipt from your hotel as well - my hotel once provided a written statement that I stayed there between X - Y dates (I don’t think this is really needed)

If you get a receipt with your NIF everyday that alone should be sufficient, yet boarding passes are equally important. They kind of close the loop, Mr E flew into Portugal on XYZ, here are the receipts with NIF numbers for that 2 weeks, then he flew out… As simple as that…

2 Likes

Make withdrawals from your Portugal bank account at a Multibanco (ATM) machine. Keep the monthly statements as proof.

3 Likes

Boarding passes;
Schengen country stamps, not just EU;
Accommodation receipts;
Daily NIF purchase receipts;
ATM deposits/withdrawals/purchases.
Q: Would border guards in other Schengen states stamp your passport if you hold a PT TRP?

2 Likes

Doubtful they will look it up, but it means your receipts have your NIF on them and that you didn’t just grab some receipts out of the dumpster at your nearby store…

2 Likes

This is what our lawyer recommended.

4 Likes

How does one go about adding an NIF to their coffee purchase receipt? I never have noticed that option? Sorry if it’s a stupid question

1 Like

It is standard practice when one buys anything in Portugal (whether when paying a bill at a restaurant or self-paying at a supermarket) that somebody will ask “Vai precisar o seu número de contribuinte?” They usually dont say NIF but Número de contribuinte (but it means the same thing). And you reply affirmatively and show or state the number. In the case of a self-service transaction, the NIF option is the first option on the screen, where you have to type out the number (or choose not to do so) before proceeding to tap/swipe your card to pay. If the NIF is given, it is officially recorded in relation to the purchase. Keep the receipt.

7 Likes

Besides us to who needs to prove we stayed 14 days in the country, what reasons would any others have for providing their NIF? Trying to understand how reasonable of a request this is from a business owner’s perspective. Thanks

1 Like

NIF are provided by many people - every purchase with an NIF is put into a lotto for various prizes.

2 Likes

I just want to be sure I know what I need to do in order to satisfy the documentation requirements. As mentioned earlier, during transactions at an automated kiosk, there is an option to input the NIF. I’m not too worried if I am inconveniencing someone by having them input the NIF. Our lawyer said it is common.

Having spent quite a bit of time in Portugal, I can assure you it’s a very common practice (Portuguese can deduct these receipts as business expense and save on taxes). In supermarkets they’ll ask you 99% of times if you want your NIF on the receipt. In restaurants they’ll ask maybe 50% of times—if they don’t, then just ask yourself and they’ll happily input it.

4 Likes

In my personal opinion, purchases with NIF does not seem to be a reliable proof of stay since anybody could get an invoice or bill with your NIF number, because noone checks any ID at the time of the purchase. For example, I could simply ask a Portuguese friend to give a specific NIF at the time of purchases; this does not guarantee that the person was in Portugal. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It is what the lawyers recommend and the receipts with NIF are just one part - Check my entry below… Boarding passes + passport stamp + receipts with NIF should do it…

To be honest, 14 day proof is one of the easiest part of the whole GV process…

1 Like

Receipts with NIF can be done by friends. Passport stamps is the best one. Or you have to throw away something on purpose every single day, then go to police station to file the form :joy::joy::joy:

next silly question: is there a NIF “card”, akin to a Social Security card in the U.S.? I have my NIF but don’t have it memorized for inputting at the ATM or providing to a merchant. If there is such a card, any idea how to obtain it?

Why not save Nif as a phone number on your mobile phone ? It is even more convenient. I save it on my phone and show it to the vendors to get the receipts with Nif.

1 Like