183 Days Rule Countries?

Hello everyone.
would it be possible to have any suggestions or information ???
I have 2 Nationalities, but I am still looking for information about the 183-day stay rule.
I can’t find the list of countries in Europe that have this rule,
does anyone here give me an idea, where to find this information ???
thank you very much

Hello Mary,

Outside of your interest in European countries, there is little information to advise you with. I will assume that one or both of your nationalities is European and you don’t require a visa to live in Europe. Living in the EU zone is a different kettle of fish from living in the other non EU countries in Europe.

I will also assume that you are already living in Europe in the non EU zone. This is because a non European with the ability/visa to stay over 183 days is a tax resident from day 1. With exception of England (6 months), I can’t think of any European country a non EU citizen can visit without a visa for longer than 90 days. And without a visa, you can’t work legally so no tax to worry about.

It’s easy to assume that you are trying to reduce or eliminate your taxes but this is not true for everyone.

To make choosing what European countries to consider easier, you should factor some things that are important to you. Things like language, healthcare, cuisine, outdoor activities, security, weather and anything important to you. You will find that it is more important to find countries that you are happy to stay more than 183 days even if it is not the plan than to focus just on those 183 days. What you do for a living/money as a business owner or employee is different for different countries and can help guide your plan.

1 Like

Not sure about EU… but Georgia and Panama offer six months VISA free stay for most of visitors. They’re both good places to start a bank account.

1 Like

Mary, which 183-rule are you talking about? 183 days stay to become a tax resident?

If that’s what you’re asking for, please be aware that most countries apply this as one of several tests for determining your tax residency. Meaning that you can easily become tax resident somewhere even by staying less time than that.

In general I like PwC’s tax summaries for getting a quick overview over the relevant rules. Select the country you want to check, then Individual > Residence.


This is from the PwC summary for Italy (just example of the 183 day rule (= majority of fiscal year):

According to Article 2 of the Italian Tax Code, an individual is considered an Italian resident for tax purposes if, for the greater part of the fiscal year (i.e. for more than 183 days):

  • the individual is registered in the Records of the Italian Resident Population (called Anagrafe )
  • the individual has a ‘residence’ in Italy (habitual abode), or
  • the individual has a ‘domicile’ in Italy (principal centre of business, economic and social interests, e.g. the family).