About taxes to be filed or not

Hi,

I have a question about the tax filing requirements.

I invested in the fund and the value appreciated by 19K, but i am still invested and not plan to exit fund or take profits, i am just doing nothing.

Am i obligated to file tax , i have been in faro portugal for 15 days in August 2023 for biometric.

No income from portugal.

Do i still need to file taxes this year because fund value appreciated?

Please advise or advise me a company i can consult regarding this fact

Thank you

As a non-resident for tax purposes you don’t need to file a Portuguese tax return for your fund, even if you had sold. You may need to file in your home country, though, depending on their rules.

1 Like

Thank you, I have filed the NHR and got certification. Can i still skip from filing?

However I still did not get the TRC after biometric ,

1 Like

If you obtained NHR in 2024, then this means you registered yourself as a tax resident in Portugal some time before that (obviously you know when it happened).
So depending on when your tax residency started you will need to file starting from the following year.
E.g. if you became tax resident in 2023 you had until Jun 30th of 2024 to file your IRS declaration.

1 Like

Hello!
We applied for Portugal Golden Visa July 2022. We are still not approved. We invested in a hotel. As non tax residents with no income generated in Portugal, do we still need tax representation in Portugal? Do we need to file taxes?

A prior tax professional that asked to be paid 1200€, told us that they will help with:

• IMI annual payment - pay the yearly instalments of the council tax (IMI) which is due by every property owner in Portugal;

• Tax returns IRS (long or short-term rentals) for individuals or couples;

• preparation of income tax returns, for assessment of property rental income or capital gains
    tax; - VAT Returns (IRS Cat B - for short term);

• Issuing rental receipts monthly (long and short-term rentals) - this is mandatory to report to
    the Portuguese Finance Department;

They said that Tax Year-End for Portugal is from April to June of each year. At that time, we declare to the Tax Authorities whether there has been any activity or not. If we do not do this, then this it could result in abnormalities with the authorities which could lead to tax fines.

Can you please refer a tax professional that is reasonable if we need to file anything?
Thank you :pray:t4:

No and No.
If you still have a tax rep from the time you originally obtained your NIF, you can sign up to electronic notifications on Portal das Financas and then remove your tax rep.